Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel filters

Do you need to run a fuel filter on both sides of the pump? Even though I have a screen on the pickup in the tank? Also, do you need a sump or can the Mallory 110FI pump pull the gas through from the top if I mount it lower than the tank?
Old 01-01-2003, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Default Re: fuel filters

On my setup I ran the Aeromotive A1000 with a 16 gallon feul cell. Inside the cell I put a sock from an intank GM pump on the bulkhead adapter instead of buying a $90 filter from aeromotive. I also have a 10 micron filter on the outlet side of the pump.
In my experiance pumps don't last too long when using a pickup style feed. I would put a cell in or put a sump in your factory tank.

Frank
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Do you need to run a fuel filter on both sides of the pump? Even though I have a screen on the pickup in the tank? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The screen in the tank is not a fuel filter. A fuel filter is designed to remove debri in th micron size. You need a "fuel filter" in addition to the in-tank screen!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

John,

My question was whether or not I needed 2 filters. I am aware the screen is not a filter but I thought you could filter the fuel with a 10 micron pre pump and nothing after pump. Mallory recommends 40 micro pre pump and 5 or 10 micron post pump.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> My question was whether or not I needed 2 filters. I am aware the screen is not a filter but I thought you could filter the fuel with a 10 micron pre pump and nothing after pump. Mallory recommends 40 micro pre pump and 5 or 10 micron post pump.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay.....I just used one filter since this is the way GM does it and it seems to work fine for all factory EFI cars.

Quick Reply: fuel filters