Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Five GTM supercar

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The GTM is AMAZING!

I have looked at FFR kits for years...just couldn't pull the trigger on a cobra as it's just not practical. But the GTM...

When I found out about the LSx engine, new chassis design w/ vette parts, AWESOME appearance...ooooohhhhhh.

Now that my GTO is just about complete, how do I convince the wife of the need for one of these? I'm thinking nice head/cam motor [just can't figure out how to jam a compressor in there!]...fast.

They have further info on the site about wind tunnel testing. They are making serious efforts to do this car right. It is truly going to be a supercar [yeah, I know...that has been my goal for the goat!]
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Man I hear ya on convincing the wife. I need to finish the Blazer then slightly warm over the SS then I'm "supposed" to do the old M/C but I wouldn't mond hitting one of these GTM's I think it would friggin rock but the lil woman has a point when people ask what is it eventually the words "KIT CAR" are gonna come up then you are gonna have to explain no it's not a VW or a Fiero. But then you'll be blowing by them a 200mph
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd really need to see one in person. From some angles they look REALLY awesome, and others I just don't know. Yea a good heads/cam engine with some upgraded valvetrain would be just right... I think the heat from a turbo could cause some issues... plus when you're under 2,500lbs, how much power do you really need to clean up anything on the street!!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thats why I would stay N/A simple, fast less headaches. But it would run like a race car. You are right some of the angles look a little off but to me it has something to do with the "apetures" in the hood if the car and the apetures are the same color it would look better also it (I hate to say it cause usually I feel they are ricey) it has to have the rear spoiler/wing or it looks weird to me.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
well they are road leagal over here in the UK!!!

im not having a go at th atom, they are amazing cars. first read about them, oh, about 4 years ago. they have gone through such a development curve since then!!! using the honda engine was the best thing they could have done. Snd with a s/c, well 500kg and over 300bhp, you do the math!!!!

just make sure you stick a set of wings on there! i hear they can get a little lively at the back end!!!

thanks Chris.

The Atoms are sick quick and agile, but, I'm sorry, they are FUGLY!!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastKat
I don't believe it can be done that cheap! I would think you'd have $50k in that car... even doing everything yourself. If you could make that car for $30k I'd be shocked!!
i saw an article where they showed it can be built for a little under 25k. 30 is do-able. it all depends how bad *** you want to make it.

personally, i would prolly end up spending more like 50 on it as well...but 30 is attainable
Old 11-18-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Well regardless, it still seems cheaper than I originally thought. There's a guy on the board here that has an Ultima pretty much done... very similar concept, however he I think he is getting very close to $100,000... however I think his expense includes some tools and he is running a single T67 unintercooled turbo.... so that prob added a couple bucks.

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i saw an article where they showed it can be built for a little under 25k. 30 is do-able. it all depends how bad *** you want to make it.

personally, i would prolly end up spending more like 50 on it as well...but 30 is attainable
Old 11-18-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow this looks like quite a package. Im sure you could do a budget racer for under $35K. But i agree, if you did everything right the way you wanted around $45K-$50 would be about right. Id say build a $50K version with the LS7. that car would break into the 9s. likely 500rwhp with the rear exit exhaust, CAI, and a tune plus 2300lbs. wow forget the blue devil. this is the ticket. Sign me up
Old 11-19-2005, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Imagine if they could fit an LS1 or LS7 or any LSx engine on the atom.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

I bet the project could get outta hand quick. I mean more often than not the projects that I want to do get put of because I don't know any other way than top shelf and that can be $$$$$$ and I only have $$$. The car could prolly be done REALLY nice for about $50K but I could see it going to almost $100K. Start thinking big bore/forged/turbo AFR heads then spend a bunch on wheels and tires then don't forget brakes hell you can spend $2K on paint materials if you don't watch it never mind body work and getting it on the car then a fortune on gauges and the interior and can't forget the stereo and....... **** I'm tired just thinking about it but when do we get started?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id like to build one of these as well.Ls1?thats ***** ****.Supercharged ls6?mmm....closer.yea,i think thad do nice.Supercharged built ls6 in a 2200 lb supercar?who needs an enzo?Besides-this even has air and powerwindows.But what i havnt seen are pics of the interior.Does anyone have pics of the inside?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

The reality is any motor I get my hands on is gonna lose it's designation because it's gonna be far from stock even in N/A form. At the very least it's gonna get stroked to 383ci if not go to 400ci+ and the stock heads are gonna be paper weights.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Well I must be a ***** cause I like my LS1... must be a lot of other pussies on this board too because a lot of conversion guys have pretty much stock LS1's

[QUOTE=530transam]id like to build one of these as well.Ls1?thats ***** ****.QUOTE]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

I see some influence from what would appear to be Ford's GT-40 (Nose and sides), Ferrari (Clear engine cowl) and the Corvette (Rear facia). I must say though from the exterior it looks like a exotic supercar. I wonder what the interior looks like. I would think that they could make this car appealing to a wide variety of folks by making an engine bay that would also accept the Modular Ford and possibly the Hemi in the not to distant future. Either way it is one awesome looking ride and I am sure someone will eventually slide one of the new 427's in it before long. When they do-LOOK OUT !!!

Jim C.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not entirely sure of the cronology, but I believe it started out to be a GT40 replica. I suspect their philosophy was to do the same to the GT40 replica market that they did so successfully to the Cobra replica market. FF was embroiled in the Shelby law suit with it's Cobra replica. To avoid yet another mess, they radically restyled their GT40 to look like something that now only takes styling ques from that car.

As for cost; sans a backyard spray job, you're going to spend $8K plus to get good paint on that car. Don't know about the quality of the f'glass on this car, but if it's anything like ther Cobra's, you'll likely spend a lot of $$ or time on the prep work.

My thought with the GTM, is that it holds no notariety short of some un-anticipated marketing success. If one were to consider a GT40 replica, it would have notariety, recognition, some loosely conected historical identity, and likely some market value. When the smoke clears, I suspect the cost to build either one would be about the same.

Andy1
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Wow that is smokin!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

I'm more thinking about how awesome it would be on the road... like the Ultimas are supposed to be.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I agree Kat about the GTM it's gotta be bad *** on the road. To me the Ultima is bad *** but weird looking from the front.

The GTM body work will prolly end up being exspensive I've talked to one or two people that have seen the car and they tryed to talk **** about the car's fit and finish but my answer was thats all up to the person who is putting the car together. Glass usually is a pain to get straight not really complicated just time consuming. But with all of this you gotta remember we are talking about the "blue collar super car".

I still think it'll be fun.

Last edited by firefighter; 11-23-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I think if I ever do get around to building one, I'll definitely take a trip up to the factory and take the tour so I can see what I'll be getting myself into before I actually buy it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitly have to see one before commiting. I think it comes with seats similer to those in a C5. If someone would put a nice 402 with a magnacharger on it, that would be a crazy ride!!!!

Quick Reply: Factory Five GTM supercar