Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will vortec 6.0L intake clear a s-10 hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005 | 03:30 AM
Launching!

Default will vortec 6.0L intake clear a s-10 hood?

i want to use the LQ9 vortec in my s-10 im just wondering if the intake will clear the hood.
Attached Thumbnails will vortec 6.0L intake clear a s-10 hood?-12499467_large.jpg  
Old 12-16-2005 | 10:18 AM
Teching In

1st Gen or 2nd?
Old 12-16-2005 | 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I think its going to depend mostly on whose engine mounts you use. Engine location (vertically) in the engine bay is the big player there.

I'm not sure if the intake will fit or not. The intake cover isn't likely to fit, leaving you with the "big ugly" manifold showing. Also, the accessory drive system used on the trucks is too long, you'll need the C5 stuff, and will probably still need to move the radiator out for electric fan clearance.

But ultimately, alot of this depends upon exact engine placement in your truck. If you push it down and rearward, you might make the truck access & manifold fit.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-16-2005 | 06:46 PM
Teching In

I don't have it running yet, but I have the truck manifold on my 94. It is close, but I think it will work. I had to take out the purge? solenoid on the top of the intake and do a little shaving on the cover to get it to fit. I cut out the hole in the cover a little and took the factory screw out. The square type cover won't work. I am using the rounded one. The truck accessories are going to work too, as far as I know. I had to change the power steering pulley to a smaller one. My motor mounts are the ones that are usually on ebay for like 49.95.
Todd
Old 12-16-2005 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

Wish I could find some pics of 5.3 and/or 6.0 engines in 2nd gen S10's. I am gathering info and researching the 5.3 engines. Plan to do a conversion to a 5.3/T56 next spring. The truck intakes sure do look robust, they'll be tight but I believe you can make 'em fit. As stated elsewhere, engine vertical placement probably is key. What if you did a "mild" cowl hood?? That is what I am thinking about, cowl hood for extra insurance. Would love to see pics of 5.3/6.0 conversions.........done or in the process, any would be great!
Old 12-17-2005 | 03:35 AM
Launching!

what do you mean by round cover? i thought there was only one engine cover for the vortec.

my s-10 is a 2000 reg cab 4x4. im going to swap out the NP1 t-case with the NP8 so i can switch bewteen all wheel drive and rear wheel drive.
Old 12-17-2005 | 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

I think the 4x4 trucks have a little more hood clearance, don't they have slightly taller body mounts than the 2wd trucks?
Old 12-18-2005 | 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sr_ryan1
what do you mean by round cover? i thought there was only one engine cover for the vortec.

my s-10 is a 2000 reg cab 4x4. im going to swap out the NP1 t-case with the NP8 so i can switch bewteen all wheel drive and rear wheel drive.

4wd makes it even more fun.

You need a few extras above what the 2wd guys do.
1.) Oilpan with a big honkin notch in it to clear the front diff assembly / pass side axle tube. Check out TyDriver's website, TurboLS6.com, for some details.
2.) Headers / exhaust manifolds. So far, nobody is offering production lots of headers to fit this swap. And from what I understand, none of the cast iron manifolds fit and clear everything. I'd love to hear details (which manifolds, modifications, etc.) if somebody's made manifolds fit on a 4x4.

Also, think hard about your transfer case choice. There aren't many transfer cases that can give you true AWD and then switch to 2wd. The NV246 may be able to do that, but what controls are you going to need in order to implement the active 4wd function? Or are you planning on just doing a toggle switch? (not sure if that's feasible, but you get my question (manual activation), right?)

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 12-18-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2005 | 10:48 PM
Launching!

Since the ECM controls the transfer case a donor vehicle will be needed. The 1999-2006 Silverado 1500HD has standard 6.0L engine, 4L80E and 4x4’s have standard NP8 t-cases, you will need a complete 6.0L engine wiring harness, ECM, transmission, transfer case, and dash harness with the 4 botton switch from a donor Silverado 1500HD 4x4

The NP8 transfer case controller module (TCCM) wiring harness is incorporated into the dash wiring harness. The entire S-10 under dash harness must be removed and replaced with the Silverado’s dash harness. Once the dash has been removed completely take out the s-10 wiring harness, pay careful attention to how the harness has been routed, and replace it with the Silverado’s harness

If you already have the LS1 engine from a Camaro or Tras am than The 5.3 Liter truck pan, oil pick try, tub, and indicator will have to be used. The corvette alternator bracket, power steering pump, pulley, power steering reservoir, hose, and balancer will have to be used in order to make clearness. It is also possible to shim out the alternator bracket ¾ inch to aline with the camaro, and trans am balancers, the stock F-body manifolds are the only ones that will work for s-10's.
Old 12-20-2005 | 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Since the ECM controls the transfer case a donor vehicle will be needed. The 1999-2006 Silverado 1500HD has standard 6.0L engine, 4L80E and 4x4’s have standard NP8 t-cases, you will need a complete 6.0L engine wiring harness, ECM, transmission, transfer case, and dash harness with the 4 botton switch from a donor Silverado 1500HD 4x4.
Some quick notes.
1.) I don't think the 1500HD with the 6.0 was available until 2001. However, the 2500 has had the 6.0 available in the 99-06 range.
2.) You might also refer to the transfer case by manufacturer's number, not RPO code. I think the NP8 is the NV246, but I'm not certain. That info is a bit more useful (or provide both).
3.) I'm pretty sure there is a seperate controller for the transfer case, it isn't controlled by the engine / transmission PCM.

The NP8 transfer case controller module (TCCM) wiring harness is incorporated into the dash wiring harness. The entire S-10 under dash harness must be removed and replaced with the Silverado’s dash harness. Once the dash has been removed completely take out the s-10 wiring harness, pay careful attention to how the harness has been routed, and replace it with the Silverado’s harness.
THAT, my friend, sounds like a whole bunch of work.

I might also suggest you look into the Bravada. Starting in 1998, they used the NV136, which is a single speed, somewhat light duty Active transfer case. I expect that New Venture (NV) probably uses the same (or very similar) controls and maybe even the same TCCM & wiring for both the NV136 and NV246. Certainly would be worth investigating. If so, you could potentially use the dash harness from a Bravada, and not have to do all of that hacking, chopping, cutting, and whatever else to make the Silverado & S10 harnesses play nice. I'd expect its worth investigating at least.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: will vortec 6.0L intake clear a s-10 hood?