Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally my LS1 has arrived - teardown?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally my LS1 has arrived

I finally have my LS1, and have started tear down to rebuild it. It is the all aluminum motor from a 2000 Corvette. I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on tear down, what to avoid going nuts on to get it off, areas to be cautious so i dont break anything. Any specialty tools need for disassembly? Whatever advice you guys have is very welcome, because I can't afford to mess up anything on this motor, as it is hopefully going to be over 1000 HP by completion. Also which parts should I keep and modify to fit my purposes (twin turbo)
Old 12-17-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have fun geting the harmonic balancer off, apart from that its straight forward dismantling.

Assembly is a whole different ball game, its crucial then.

Just go easy when starting your threads, make sure there clean as aluminium is soft and easy to strip.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=GTS346]Have fun geting the harmonic balancer off, QUOTE]

lol.... yeah that sucks.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Go slow, take your time, and tighten all bolts to spec. There is a sticky somewhere here that has the whole list of bolts.

Also, if its a racing motor, might want to think about an electric water pump to help cool down between runs. Also, the truck coils fit in 3rdgen easier than the stock peices...dont forget the truck plug wires too.

I mean there is so much stuff in the swap, that you will just have to learn as you go. Do research on here and you'll be fine.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks much, hopefully that balancer isn't too bad, although my version of bad and your version of bad could be two entirely seperate definitions. Thanks for the tip on torque specs, I'll go find that sticky.