Sponsored by:

Rolls Royce conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolls Royce conversion

Hi people,

This is my first post on this forum, so go easy on me!

I want to do a conversion into a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Has anyone in the US done this? I'm pretty sure nobody has in Australia......any info would be fantastic.

I want to use a 6 litre iron block and a stroker crank for about 408 ci or so. Also I will be turboing the engine for (hopefully) about 500 rwkw. I want to use a 4L80 trans. I've heard that these are very strong compared to 4L60's, and as its a rather heavy car it will need a bit of strength in that area with that type of power.

Any feedback would be great!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

First off let me be the first to say Welcome to the site.

Let me also be the first to say your crazy and I like it

I had to look up what a RR silver shadow looks like.
If anyone else is interested http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-pq...hite-fa-lr.jpg
How much does that car weigh?

Would be cool to see this done.
Make sure to post up some pics.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
First off let me be the first to say Welcome to the site.

Let me also be the first to say your crazy and I like it

I had to look up what a RR silver shadow looks like.
If anyone else is interested http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-pq...hite-fa-lr.jpg
How much does that car weigh?

Would be cool to see this done.
Make sure to post up some pics.
Thanks very much mate Correct model in your pic, a RR silver Shadow 2.

They weigh about 2200kg....sorry I don't know in pounds.
Some pics as the car is at the moment Soon to change when I finally get the car out of where it is and stripped down.
Attached Thumbnails Rolls Royce conversion-project-death.jpg   Rolls Royce conversion-rear-trim.jpg   Rolls Royce conversion-roller-dash.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had my hands in doing a swap with a '63 RR Silver Cloud. It got a '98 Camaro LS1.
Very narrow quarters at the front of the engine compartment.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jones'n
I had my hands in doing a swap with a '63 RR Silver Cloud. It got a '98 Camaro LS1.
Very narrow quarters at the front of the engine compartment.
No such probs with the Silver Shadow!!

Problems to be overcome however are numerous

Such as: Braking system hydraulics fed by pumps and accumulators in conjunction with the height adjustable suspension, and no rear transmission mount!!
Attached Thumbnails Rolls Royce conversion-engine-bay-death.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We updated the brake system to GM stuff. We put the master cylinder on the frame under the floor. Was a real pain to fill.
The throttle linkage was a pin also.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really interesting, should be an awesome conversion. I hope you installed a couple of residual valves in the brake lines down by the master cylinder. I think a 408 with a 4L80E would be perfect for such a car! Welcome aboard.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe 1 kg = 2.2 pounds? so figure 2200*2.2 = 4840 pounds if im right with the conversion. Looks like one badass project, and def post pictures as you get it rolling!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
They weigh about 2200kg....sorry I don't know in pounds.
Some pics as the car is at the moment Soon to change when I finally get the car out of where it is and stripped down.
You arent going to keep that interior right? That is a very classy car, I know that when they get older they become maitnence nightmares and cost to much to keep around so they become really cheap. Would be a perfect car to pick a girl up in

someone around indy has put a SBC into an older RR, probably from the 30s... its one of the ones with the fenders seperate from the car. the plate says "royal rod"
Old 12-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project. Between the weight and the power, the 4L80E is a good choice. Have you given any thought to mini-tubbing it? LOL
I'd have to agree about keeping the interior. Looks very elegent.
Ken
Old 12-28-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

very cool project..... I would email with Jones'n for upgrading the brake system....

I think your HP goals are pretty easy to achieve for pump gas. 4L80e can be built to handle 1000rwhp pretty easily.

Do you have a budget cost figure that you want to keep the project at... or is it a whatever it takes to get done cost project?

Should be very cool. A large single turbo setup would be easier to fabricate, need less space, let off less heat (less hot piping), and even a T76 with 408ci would spool very quickly.

Parish (board member on here) has a 4wd truck with 408/T88/4L80E and 5,000lbs+ and makes 1000rwhp running low 10's@135mph+ in 4wd mode. You should search for his buildup and PM him on feedback about the T76 he originally ran and spool up characteristics.

Welcome the the board fellow madman
Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

i really like that interior looks great
Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jones'n
We updated the brake system to GM stuff. We put the master cylinder on the frame under the floor. Was a real pain to fill.
The throttle linkage was a pin also.
Yeah, in the Shadows the master cylinder and all the hydraulic junk is under the drivers floor too. All will be tossed I think, in favour of a conventional vacuum servo and master cylinder. Not sure if I have to uprate the discs and calipers yet. The front brakes are 11 inch discs with 2 calipers each on them.

Would be nice to set it up with abs while I'm at it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by red90cobra
i really like that interior looks great
yeah, one of the attractions to the car, definitely. But this is what I want it to look like....red carpets and cream leather......
Attached Thumbnails Rolls Royce conversion-shadow1redcarpetrear.jpg   Rolls Royce conversion-shadow-red-carpet.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
very cool project..... I would email with Jones'n for upgrading the brake system....

I think your HP goals are pretty easy to achieve for pump gas. 4L80e can be built to handle 1000rwhp pretty easily.
As these transmissions are a bit thin on the ground over here, there isn't much info on them. I shall have to do a BIIIIIIIG search on this site!!

Do you have a budget cost figure that you want to keep the project at... or is it a whatever it takes to get done cost project?
I'm going to get the car to my place and give it a good clean up, and then do the body and paint first. Then I'll have a good base to start with, and will do the trimwork. Once I have it looking good I'll start on the conversion. I want to do the engine work myself, including the conversion, with consultation from an engineer that I have lined up over here. Hopefully I can get a strong motor together and in the car for under 15 grand Australian, including the gearbox. I'll then look around for a turbo kit to bolt on to it.

Parish (board member on here) has a 4wd truck with 408/T88/4L80E and 5,000lbs+ and makes 1000rwhp running low 10's@135mph+ in 4wd mode. You should search for his buildup and PM him on feedback about the T76 he originally ran and spool up characteristics.
Thanks heaps for that tip!! I shall be searching for his buildup soon!!

I only hope that the 4L80 will be compatible with the standard LS1 computer.....I have heard rumour that its not, and is a hard task to get working properly.

Thanks guys for all the replies!!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speartech can get you squared away for about $200. They will modify your existing harness (or send you the parts and let you do it yourself) and reprogram your computer. That was a big concern of mine as well, and I am going with them for sure when I start my harness.

I only hope that the 4L80 will be compatible with the standard LS1 computer.....I have heard rumour that its not, and is a hard task to get working properly.

Thanks guys for all the replies!!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
Speartech can get you squared away for about $200. They will modify your existing harness (or send you the parts and let you do it yourself) and reprogram your computer. That was a big concern of mine as well, and I am going with them for sure when I start my harness.
Thats is very good news!

Nobody knows how to do this conversion properly over here. Major issues with the gearbox not working properly with the LS1 computer.

I look forward to your progress!! Nice project you have there.....I stuck a 383 stroker in my Series 1 back in 1995 with a 5 speed. Awesome to drive with a bit of weight off the front wheels. Handle heaps better with the Chev....even more so with an alloy LS1 I would imagine!!

Here is mine:
Attached Thumbnails Rolls Royce conversion-xjrv8.jpg   Rolls Royce conversion-xjrv8-engine-bay.jpg   Rolls Royce conversion-interior-death.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, the 4L80E can definitely be run with an LS1 computer... heck, the 4L80E was used in most of the 2500 and 3500 Series chevy trucks with the 6.0L LQ4, also a GenIII engine. Speartech can hook you up. Looks like we're both persuing very similar projects... heavy luxury sedans with automatics and huge engines!

That's one sweet car.... the dark wood on the light interior looks great... and I always really liked the front ends on the Series I cars... a lot more than the one I have now. Glad to hear it handles better with the small block too! I knew even a cast iron 350 was lighter than the original straight six, but didn't know it would clean up the handling that much too!

Thats is very good news!

Nobody knows how to do this conversion properly over here. Major issues with the gearbox not working properly with the LS1 computer.

I look forward to your progress!! Nice project you have there.....I stuck a 383 stroker in my Series 1 back in 1995 with a 5 speed. Awesome to drive with a bit of weight off the front wheels. Handle heaps better with the Chev....even more so with an alloy LS1 I would imagine!!

Here is mine:
Old 12-30-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, one of the attractions to the car, definitely. But this is what I want it to look like....red carpets and cream leather......
I wouldn't mine that either
Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

I believe you actually need an external computer to control the 4L80E which is about $400-600.

A 4L80E is essentially an electronically controlled version of a TH400 with overdrive.

It would be cheaper to do a TH400 with a Gear Vendors Overdrive..... The GV unit I believe is rated at 2,000HP!

Some people use the stock truck 5.3/6.0 exhaust manifolds to build twin turbo setups and make in excess of 1000rwhp. They work, are cheap, and don't crack as they are a very thick casting.

Right now in the forced induction section there is a "budget" 370ci (stock 6.0 iron truck block) with stock LS1 crank, Eagle rods, Diamond pistons, out of the box AFR 225 heads, LS6 intake, making nearly 1000rwhp! Big single T-88 turbo though.

Quick Reply: Rolls Royce conversion