Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is every one running for exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is every one running for exhaust?

i currently havea a custome y pipe with no cats and loud mouth . its soulds good at low rpm but once i hit high r it gets raspy and higher pitched.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Y-body 1997 stock manifolds(ceramic coated), into 2 1/2" pipes, the left side crosses under the bell housing to pair-up beside the right side into a Spintech X-pipe then through a Spintech 2 in 2 out muffler and out under the bumper. It sounds very mellow and doesn't really get loud at any rpm. The sound is good, like an old hot rod cruiser should sound like.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Conversion master

Stock F-body passenger's and stock Y-body driver's manifold to dual 2.5" pipes, no H, no X, to a set of chambered undercar mufflers and out the back. I have a sound clip if you are interested. Very mello rumble at idle and loud at higher RPM's. Sounds like an old side-pipe car.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same as 70LS1's except I used F-body manifolds on both sides. I also put in a pair of cutouts for those extra few mph at the dragstrip.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is still in progress. My plan is Sanderson headers with 1.5 primaries and 2.5 collector, from there 2.25 pipes back to 2 same size 40 Series Flowmasters then 2.25 tail pipes over the rear axle and out the back. I may add an H-pipe depending on how it all fits together once I get it to the muffler shop. The header pipes are smaller than I typically think of, but clearance is an issue. Also, according to the Sanderson people the small short pipes actually outperform many of the larger-longer pipes in the RPM range we use our cars most often. Take that for what it is worth, I don't plan to race mine other than once or twice to get a number, so my primary RPM range is probably between 2-5k anyway. I expect it will sound a lot like my 350 with the same mufflers and tail pipes. Nice mellow rumble.

Pat
Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
My plan is Sanderson headers with 1.5 primaries and 2.5 collector, from there 2.25 pipes back to 2 same size 40 Series Flowmasters then 2.25 tail pipes over the rear axle and out the back. I expect it will sound a lot like my 350 with the same mufflers and tail pipes. Nice mellow rumble.

Pat
Those 40 series are fockin loud to say the least. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong muffler? Edit: I'm thinking of the Super 40's.

I will be running JBA 1 3/4 shorties(or stock Camaro manifolds), 2.5 back to a Dr.Gas X-pipe, Dynomax SuperTurbo's, then back over the rear axle through Torque Tech tailpipes.

On a side note.... If you want a deep rumble(that you can feel in your chest) Walker mufflers aka Thrush Turbos are the trick. I ran them last year on my old true dual set-up.... The car sounded very good for 50 bucks in mufflers(LOL). Wide open it was just horny sounding. No rasp just all engine noise. From what Dynomax told me, the Superturbo is just quieter at idle and cruising speed and the same at wide open.

Call me crazy but the cheaper mufflers sound better then the expensive ones. I hate rasp, havn't found an expensive one that doesn't have a raspy sound to it.

-Matt

Last edited by ls1_chevelle; 01-03-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i mean the loud mouth cant be beat for loudness but im looking for a deep tone as well and with my hooker shorties and no cats its reall raspy
Old 01-03-2006, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ported LS6 manifolds connected to factory bigblock 2-1/2 duals with crossover.
Stan , 70 Corvette convertable LQ4 4-speed
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1rscamaro
i currently havea a custome y pipe with no cats and loud mouth . its soulds good at low rpm but once i hit high r it gets raspy and higher pitched.
to get rid of the rasp buy a bullet muffler and put it in there a bullet or a spiral one. you'll like it.

Quick Reply: what is every one running for exhaust?