Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering leak

Anyone have the power steering pump shown in the attatchment on their LS1? Mine is out of a '98 Z28 and is in an '89 RX7. I had to repair the return nipple on the reserviour. Either the reserviour didn't have or I lost the seal for the neck that fits down in the pump body. I put lots of sealant around the neck and let it dry for a week but fluid is leaking from around the neck. Really bad now after a 1200 mi. round trip. On the way back I loosened the reserviour cap but it caused the fluid to foam up. The guys in the V8RX7 forum speak of a pressure relief valve but my pump doesn't have one. Can anyone suggest anything??????
Attached Thumbnails Power steering leak-pic1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming your fluid loss comes from the foaming fluid?? That seal needs to be in place but the fluid shouldn't be aeriating anyway. There is a pressure regulator valve located in the pump body at the pressure outlet. I've never seen one of these stick in position but I suppose it's possible. Not knowing what kind of steering gear or pressure requirements you have I would think everything in the steering system should be at least matched in pressure and flow requirements. If your rack requires very low pressure, you may need to modify or change that pressure valve in the pump?