Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash/chassis wiring harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash/chassis wiring harnesses

What are you guys doing with the wiring besides the engine harness in your swaps? Leaving it alone, putting it on a diet or pulling it completely and using a painless wiring kit?

I am going to be deleting a lot of stuff in mine for weight savings such as A/C, radio, etc. and I don't see any need to keep the wiring for this stuff in the car, but I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing. I'm trying to decide if it would be better/easier to put the factory harnesses on a diet or rewire completely with a painless kit.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:15 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn`t even have a dash harness, I just started my own after the engine harness ended. But if you have one I would use it and then decide if you want to leave it alone or put it on a diet.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

I am using the whole car's wiring system and slowly cutting out what I don't need. I have eliminated the instrument fuse box. I am still debating whether I should remove the engine fuse box also. If I do I have to hook up relays and fuses to the power for several sources like the coil, injectors, fan .. etc.. After going thru the wiring diaghram lastnight I think it is better to leave the engine fuse box alone. How far are you with your wiring harness? Did you get the car running yet? I am not there yet. Maybe we should keep intouch to help each other out lol. I have a full set of C5 service manuals to help me out with the wirings.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
I am using the whole car's wiring system and slowly cutting out what I don't need. I have eliminated the instrument fuse box. I am still debating whether I should remove the engine fuse box also. If I do I have to hook up relays and fuses to the power for several sources like the coil, injectors, fan .. etc.. After going thru the wiring diaghram lastnight I think it is better to leave the engine fuse box alone. How far are you with your wiring harness? Did you get the car running yet? I am not there yet. Maybe we should keep intouch to help each other out lol. I have a full set of C5 service manuals to help me out with the wirings.

I’m just getting started on mine. I started stripping it down last weekend. To be honest, I wasn’t even ready to start on this project, but I found a car that was in great shape at the right price, so here I am.

I think I am going to use the factory harnesses and just strip out what I don’t need too. It will be time consuming, but I think that’s the way to go.

BTW, I checked out your site – the car looks good. I wish I was that far along.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the 55 chevy, we used a painless kit, since we needed to add so many circuits. plus the wiring is over 50 years old. lol.

on the race car, im stripping out every non essinsial wire.. theres no stereo,HVAC, ect... its a pure drag car... since it started out as a modern EFI car, this was no big deal.. some of the circuits were re-assigned to other race dutys, but it was a nice fit when done.

on the street/strip car i did, i didnt touch the interior wiring... but it was also a modern EFI car, so there wasnt much changed/added that effected the interior wiring.. its basicly stock except for what interfaces with the engine harness.

on my personal car, the interior harness has not been changed, but the engine side of the plugs that goto the engine power have been redone.. the later thirdgens had a factory "addon" fusebox, so when added a few things, i tapped into there, but its mostly stock.

if you're out for weight reduction, wiring is a envolved PITA way to lose minimal weight... i wouldnt redo all of the harness unless this is a all out race effort.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Wiring IS tedious, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. If the harness is in descent shape (not 50 yrs old), why not go for it. I have an '02 engine harness & fuse center (underhood), and will keep those to use on my '86. I'm in the process of locating another harness to get from the fuse center to the cruise module & dash. Time consuming, yes, but gonna love it when it's complete.

Quick Reply: Dash/chassis wiring harnesses