Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007 | 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Revolutionary
You will not find a set of gen 3 headers for a Heidt's subframe. I was his head fabricator till last spring and I left. I personally mocked up several gen 3 engines in customer's cars and I fabbed about 4 sets of headers for customers on my own on the side. The street and performance ones that are available I personally did not like the fit. Furthermore using the existing Heidt's frame you have to make engine mount adapters to make it fit properly or cut off the stubs that are welded on during production and weld on your own. Chris Alston and TCI make really nice peices for the cash that you can work with the engine mounts a little easier. I know that the last set I made for a guy with a ls1 he is running the Chassisworks(alston) stub and it is really nice to work around and a well put together peice. I don't think that any one manufacterer has a good set of "off the shelf" long tubes available for those stubs just yet. I know personally I lost the battle with Gary before I left about offering a gen 3 style mounting location.

Good luck if I can offer any help feel free to drop me a PM otherwise my email and other info is up on my site I will offer any assistance I can.

I am on the brink of purchasing a new front clip for my '67. From what I hear the TCI is more user friendly than Heidt's on alignment and motor mounting. I am nervous about it's narrowed rails cramping down on already tight space for exhaust, steering, etc.

Not enough scratch for the Alston since I'll probably break my budget anyway, so don't go there.

Any votes?
Old 01-20-2007 | 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I'm looking into putting my LSX 408 stroker motor into a Chevy II Nova.. I havent decided on what model 62-67 that I want, but I think the engine bay is basically the same on all of those models. Please correct me if I am wrong..

So, where can I see some pics and info about this swap? I know Madman makes a set of headers and a motor mount kit, but I can't even find much info on that besides what he has on his site which isn't much at all.. What kind of wiring harness will I need to make this work? I'll be running speed density with a carb style intake and 4150 series carb so fitment should not be an issue.

Thanks in advance..

--Matt
This is a good thread with a few good guys offering to help....
LS1 in a Chevy II
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks! That's a good link. I think I've read through it about four times now to try and remember some of the things I haven't thought about yet.

Still, nothing on heidt's front vs TCI for this. Not only that but there's 543 replies to the conversion&hybrid sticky for people's rides and a search only pulls up two novas.

No shortage of 1st Gen Camaro topics.
Old 10-26-2010 | 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black Cloud
Madman does not have headers.Does anybody know where to find longtubes for heidts ft nova?
John
Shoenfeld 186Ls1-3 worked perfect on 67 nova with Heidts frt clip..

Last edited by pimpdulla; 01-08-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2010 | 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I've the Heidt's super ride on my 67 Nova. Fit well. If you are going to run a power rack you will need to move the motor mounts up about 1/2" so the pan will clear the rack.
I used the alston fender mounts. They are a liitle cleaner than the Heidt's.

Just my .02 worth
Old 10-27-2010 | 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I actually cut out a section of the stock fender/hood hinge mount instead. I am using a Checkered front clip on mine.
Old 10-28-2010 | 12:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black Cloud
Madman does not have headers.Does anybody know where to find longtubes for heidts ft nova?
John
John, TCI makes headers that fit the Heidts front end and they fit like a glove
Joe
Old 10-28-2010 | 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Try Tim at ibuildim? He is a distributor for heidt out in Washington state. He has or had LS headers from S&S that has gone out business. Do google search or check on Steve's Nova site, I believe he is a sponsor.
Old 10-29-2010 | 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Churchboys racing makes a nice set of 1 3/4 stainless headers that work well with a Heidts clip.
Attached Thumbnails I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..-lsx-headers.jpg  

Quick Reply: I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..