Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on swapping LT1 for Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planning on swapping LT1 for Ls1

Don't get me wrong i love my Lt1, but i'm planning ahead. My car has 120,000 and it's still running hella strong but i was wondering what is EVERYTHING i would need to do an Lt1 swap with a Ls1. I would just want a stock Ls1 with maybe some bolt ons like headers or something. just looking for a wrecked car with the engine intact.

SO what is everything i would need to do the swap, cuz i love my body style alot and would like to keep it. Let me know guys. You will be helping me out ALOT
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a stolen question: is there a tutorial or somthing that details the complete swap from LT1 to LS1?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where can i put this so more people see it. Cuz no one has a clue in this section!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

k-member, fuel system, fuel tank, radiator, shocks & springs, gauges, pcm, wiring harnest, i think some of the a/c connections are diffrent. you might wanna ask if the ls1 intake will clear the lt1 hood. most people would tell you to trade in your car for a ls1. im droping a ls1 into my v6 rs as we speek. if you want things to go smoothly get a complete ls1.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok sweet. but a have more questions why must you replace the fuel tank, radiator (i guess i could see if it won't fit) shocks & springs and gauges?? Just curious!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing the same swap and have done the research on quite a few things.

-You don't need to swap the gas tank if your car is already an LT1, but you will need to modify the fuel rail on the LS1 for a return line to the tank like the LT1 has. There are several ways to go about this so that is a separate issue altogether. The LS1's use a deadhead type fuel delivery to the rails.

-Again, your car is a V8 car to begin with, so you don't to swap the shocks/springs.

-Yes the LS1 intake will clear the LT1 hood, but you'll need to run a 90 degree bend off the TB and make a CAI similar to an LT1 style off to the side.

-Not sure about the radiator. I have a feeling the LT1 rads are the same as the LS1's though. I'll be verifying that this weekend on my buddies 98'.

-I've been told you can use your same gauge cluster if you use a 98' harness/pcm. The 99+ pcm/harness' used a "one wire" system for gauges which is different from the earlier styles. I'm researching using a gauge cluster from a 99+ on mine since mine has the newer dash/interior as the LS1's.

BTW, the reason you didn't get a response at first is because your question was a bit broad for most people to take the time to answer. Try attacking the questions one at a time and you'll get a far greater response. Also, check out the sticky's at the top of this section for wiring issues etc.

Good luck with your swap.

Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I'm doing the same swap and have done the research on quite a few things.

-You don't need to swap the gas tank if your car is already an LT1, but you will need to modify the fuel rail on the LS1 for a return line to the tank like the LT1 has. There are several ways to go about this so that is a separate issue altogether. The LS1's use a deadhead type fuel delivery to the rails.

-Again, your car is a V8 car to begin with, so you don't to swap the shocks/springs.

-Yes the LS1 intake will clear the LT1 hood, but you'll need to run a 90 degree bend off the TB and make a CAI similar to an LT1 style off to the side.

-Not sure about the radiator. I have a feeling the LT1 rads are the same as the LS1's though. I'll be verifying that this weekend on my buddies 98'.

-I've been told you can use your same gauge cluster if you use a 98' harness/pcm. The 99+ pcm/harness' used a "one wire" system for gauges which is different from the earlier styles. I'm researching using a gauge cluster from a 99+ on mine since mine has the newer dash/interior as the LS1's.

BTW, the reason you didn't get a response at first is because your question was a bit broad for most people to take the time to answer. Try attacking the questions one at a time and you'll get a far greater response. Also, check out the sticky's at the top of this section for wiring issues etc.

Good luck with your swap.

Mike
Mike Mine is finished the harness/pcm I used is an 01. My 95 car tach does not read correctly. Is there a fix you have found?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

Isn't the LT1 significantly heavier than LS1? I'd think the front spring rates would be different.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

you don't need to replace the fuel system if you go with the vette fuel rail that has the return line
Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

just got my swap done. if you got questions . let me know

Quick Reply: Planning on swapping LT1 for Ls1