Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1 240sx Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The before and after of the engine compartment is amazing. Great job. You have some real skill there! Ken
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'll take some mounts too.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
im using the stock one. pedal feel like any 4th gen or ls1 car is really light, and feels very awkward at 1st.

the guys on www.torquecentral.com i think figured out a cheap way to use AN lines the whole way, or you can mod the quick connect line from GM.

*edit*

the stock thing leaks after a while, isnt strong enough for ls1. get a wilwood 7/8 i think 5.5'' long master (or is that stock) get a 90* fitting to a -4, cut the stock clutchline and use a compression fitting to adapt it to a -4.

the plate adaptor isnt toooooo bad. basically make a 1 7/8 hole in the center, drill 2 holes in it i think 2.75'' apart from center, then weld in 2 bolts ( i used 5/16-18 carriage bolts) at a 45* angle to the original holes and your set, although its a PITA to take on/off. ill post pics of the gay adapter plate you have to amke later, i think z32 CMC might work but i havent had time to mess with it to find out.

alex, what headers did you use exactly? im assuming they are shorties that go above the steering shaft?
Did you ever get a chance to get pictures of the plate?

Also, why the 7/8" bore MC? From what i've been reading the stock one on the LS1 cars is 3/4" bore by 7/8" to 1" stroke. Is this because the clutch petal on the 240SX where the clutch MC attachment hole moves less than 7/8 of an inch?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

i dont know thats just what i went with. whatever will work, just dont try the stock ls1 stuff, as the mount is at a 45 degree vertical angle.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Alex,

Can you get a height measurement of your motor mount? Also, as I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that the engine appears to incline to the rear. I was wondering since we need to use a front sump pan, if the LSx in a GTO is also inclined to the rear or sitting at level? Will an engine with a front sump inclined to the rear cause the oil to pool in the rear of the pan and not around the sump pickup? Thoughts? Thanks, Ken.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
Alex,

Can you get a height measurement of your motor mount? Also, as I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that the engine appears to incline to the rear. I was wondering since we need to use a front sump pan, if the LSx in a GTO is also inclined to the rear or sitting at level? Will an engine with a front sump inclined to the rear cause the oil to pool in the rear of the pan and not around the sump pickup? Thoughts? Thanks, Ken.
I think the driveline angle in my swap is at 3 degrees (back of the tranny being down) so I'm not to concerned about the oil in the pan but my mounts might be totally different than his though.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

One more question: Do you use a F-body dipstick or a GTO dipstick?

Thanks, Ken.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
One more question: Do you use a F-body dipstick or a GTO dipstick?

Thanks, Ken.
While I haven't done any measurements from just a quick visual look you need to use the GTO dipstick for they look to be different. F-body dipstick tube goes into the block while the GTO dipstick tube goes into the GTO pan. They are a lot different in length as well for the GTO dipstick is a shorter. I'll see if I can take some pictures of both when I get a chance.

If you are switching from an F-body pan to a GTO pan here is the parts you'll need:

GTO oil pan
GTO oil pump pickup tube
GTO windage tray
GTO dip stick tube
GTO dip stick

HTH!'
Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i couldn't close my hood after putting the gto dipstick on. i went and got a tube bender and just about a 45 degree angle on the top about 5" down. hood would not close unless i did this.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Nice work! I'm doing the same basic swap. I've got a 2000 Camaro LS1 T56. I assume you used a GTO oil pan? I've heard ground clearance is still an issue and dry sump is the way to go. From your point of view what would you reccommend? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Teching In

What kind of rear end are you using? i am wanting to do the same swap.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Alex update this thread i looked at your car this weekend at Camp Pendelton and it looks so much better now.

Stacy

Quick Reply: My LS1 240sx Swap