Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Datsun 600Z Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Datsun 600Z Lots of pics

Hey this is my Hybrid Project I've got going on.

I purchased the v8 converted Z last fall for 2800 from a desperate guy in Arizona. The previous owners work done on this car is basically a collection of hack jobs. The differential was welded, the wiring was a mess (See pictures) the paint job horrible, odd bondo distribution and the list goes on. There were some nice surprises that came with this car, the differential while welded turned out to be a R200 (somewhat easier for the 300zx conversion), had an autopower roll bar (has decent resell), 2 mystery boxes that were in the car when it was shipped turned out to be a coil over kit, rear disk brake conversion had been done, and extra set of rear wheels with tires along with an extra set of front wheels w/o tires all came with the car. Overall not a horrible deal considering everything that came along with it.

The day it came to my house it fired right up for the truckers as they pulled it off the trailer and drove it into the driveway shortly after this wasn't the case. I got to drive it around the block a bit and once I parked it to clean off some dust it wouldn't start back up. After about 100 attempts it did fire up, I gave my brother a quick ride in it and the parked it where it would rest till this spring.

I had planned on building a v8 Z some time before purchasing this car and had bought some vortec heads and roller rockers in anticipation. I no longer needed these but I did need to rewire my car. By luck one of the members of mnracing.org needed my parts and was also willing to help me rewire my car. I purchased a Painless(like) gm wiring kit and Adam would come over and wire my car. This got finished late winter early spring (working in the cold sucks). The car drives and to hell if I wasn't going to drive it.

As it turns out driving with a welded differential and 3" wide tires up front isn't exactly a fun thing to do so I immediately began my search for the ever so rare 4/87-89 turbo 300zx non SS differential. Within days someone on hybridz.org advertises that he has posted his on ebay. The final day of the auction is here and I just got a big OT check so I'm ready to spend what it goes for. A bid battle goes for the last hr shooting the price up from $350 all the way up to $625, I start to question if I really want to spend this much on it. Car-parts.com is your friend after calling around to multiple places listed under "differential" I decide that maybe "carrier assembly" would bring up different listings. As luck would have it I find some junkyard in Michigan has one and doesn't know how much its worth, "$325 shipped" ,"I'll take it".

What's this, a new problem? Gas is leaking when I fill up the tank to much .... ****. So begins the search for a fuel cell. Well lucks on my side again mcshocks on the mnracing forum is selling a full fuel cell kit that was intended for his Montey Carlo. 1.1k for what he spent about 1.6k on, more fittings then I need. 16gal cell, 35ft of SS braided fuel line, 800hp capable fuel pump, fuel pump controller, and filter to match the setup is all included.

Last winter I was trying to sell my 300zx for some money to put towards a house but I have saved up a good chunk of cash and I plan on renting a house for a year now which will be fairly cheap. The decision is then quickly made, 1 insane car is better then 2 really cool ones. The 300zx goes up for sale.

The search for a motor begins and my luck happens to continue someone in SoCal is desperate to sell his forged 383, 6-speed tranny, FAST Fuel management system, and griffin radiator, to start some 2.0L rotary Z project. When he originally was trying to sell it he was asking 11k, he was down to 9k in January, I begin negotiating with him some and get him to sell me it without some parts for 7.3k, after realizing I would end up spending more getting those parts later on I bounce back up to 7.6k. Within the week the 300zx sells (she will be missed).

A local forum hosts a dyno day and a RWD spot freed up, hell why not see the difference between the engines. Current motor puts down 204hp/222trq, less then I thought but not a huge surprise due to the fact that its a truck block with a stock cam and zero tuning. Car is driven to a friends house then engine, tranny, and radiator are pulled. Engine bay is sprayed out sanded down a bit and then painted so its one color, black. Full kit of Tokico illuminas are ordered so that coil overs aren't put on older shocks. Fuel system has been installed and the car sits ready for the engine which is coming tomorrow(6/7/05) between 1-3pm.

Once the engine and suspension is installed my 12 point cage should have arrived and I will be driving the car from Adams to Suburban Chevy to get the frame straightened and then from there to the cage install. Then the road.

Cost of Parts to date (6/6/05)

Car: 2,800

Newer 240z Dash in good shape $80

Fuelpump\controller\cell\lines\fittings: 1,200

1988 300zxT LSD: 325

12 Point Art Morrison Cage: 385

Painless(type)Wiring: 185

Tokico 5way Adjustables: 385

Forged 383\t56\FAST engine management
system\miniram2 intake\Griffin Aluminum Radiator: 7,600

Older parts are up for sale and will subtract some of the damage done to my bank account.

Pics:

The engine as it was when I bought the car.

This is the wiring has it was when I bought the car

The car pre cage (notice the wiring cleaned up a bit up front)

One color will frame the new sexy engine so well.

(6/8/05)

Well I got off of work early today and headed over to help. Also brought my camera along.
Some great progress was made today and I'm very very happy.

We get it moving but it runs like total ****.... starting to wonder.

(2/6/06)
Pulled the motor out to check heads/pistons since things were running like **** due to a pre 02 sensor exhaust leak. Found a hot spot on 2 pistons but theres no warping and compression is good.

Hu....these arnt forged they're Hypers

When attempting to put the heads back on we noticed this. Neat! Adam fixed that Sunday.

Wondering about the pistons we want to see whats going on internaly.

(2/12/06)
I've been talking to the guy that sold me the motor and it looks like he'll be sending me some money thankfully. It looks like he got fucked over by the enigne builder and in turn so did I.

Basicly all of the interals are wrong besides the fact that the crank is scat. It doesnt look forged either.

He did a terrible job of peicing the motor together too, we could feel torque on the main bolts were different, the rod berrings were wayyy to tight causing harsh wear on the berrings and the crank needs to be resurfanced if its going to get used again. The rods are actually from a GMC non h beam with a 730 number on it, and insted of surfacing the block like you're supposed to they surfaced the rods which can weaken them.

The cam berrings are pretty nicked up too, it looks like he just pushed through as hard as he could till it got through.

This kind of wear cant happen unless there was a peice of dirt that was in there durring assembly.

They didnt bother making sure this was flush.

Basicly a whole new shortblock is needed .

Project 383 240z ditched.

Today I purchased a 2002 Escalade 6.0 engine with 40k on it with ECU and harness for $1350.

Right now I'm looking at buying an cam and either modifying the stock heads and getting some springs or just buying new ones. If anyone has some advice please post.

If anyone is interested in a barely used Miniram 2 intake setup, FAST EFI Bank to bank with O2, Aluminum Heads, Electronic Waterpump, or "Mild turbo cam" flat tap let me know
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Buying another persons headache sucks. I wish you the best with the new motor. I dig those converted 240Z's for sure. 2 steps back.... 3 steps forward. LSx technology is bliss.

As you are a new user you should search in the LS1/LS6 section for mods. The info is there.... simply use the search button and/or poke around some threads.

I would dump the 6.0 heads and get something to bump the compression up, add some headers (Sanderson/JTR makes a good set), upgrade the cam, retune and you should be good to go.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Nice car. You bought the Escalade engine at a good price. I would really like to see the outcome of this project.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Heres a bounus video of me having some fun with the weak old motor in it.

www.andrew-wong.com/vids/240z.wmv
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like what happened to me, bought the car with a crap engine it fried after a month, had a builder put together a new bottom end, bearing spins right after and no warranty or help from them, so ls1!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck on the project

Out of curiousity where did you find the motor?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Good luck on the project

Out of curiousity where did you find the motor?
The new one?

Martini Auto Junkyard up in St.Cloud MN, saw it when searching on car-parts.com
Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wong
The new one?

Martini Auto Junkyard up in St.Cloud MN, saw it when searching on car-parts.com
Yup the 6.0 thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Im interested in your heads and mini ram.
rich.wesson@earthlink.net
thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I sold those. I have a Mcleod Twinplate clutch for sale though its for a 2 peice rear main and LT1 t56.

Car update: I just bought TSP Stage 1 LS6 heads with the Dart .625 lift single springs, MS3 Cam, and Double roller chain

Looks like they shipped yesterday or today
Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

6.0h! Baby!

Cool project. Keep the pics coming.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

damn, gnx7 said it best.

ya gotta love those converted Z cars.

nice project, best of luck to getting it up and running without anymore headaches!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I love these conversions, I have the oppertunity to pick up a V8 converted Z thats a roller minus motor. I am still debating, does anyone have any 1/4 mile track times for v8 240's?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Some updates

Yeah they're not long tubes but its the best I can get

PRC LS6 Stage 1 Heads with Valve job and Dart .625 lift springs. MS3 came in the mail too .

Mandrel 2.5" Xpipe exhaust.

Last edited by Wong; 06-13-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Ghetto mounted alternator.

The fine interior

Fuel Cellage
Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Restricted User

badassss now paint that puppy, get some mickeys, and spray it on unsuspecting victims and laugh when they ask wut u got... =)
Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

COOL! Very nice and looks very familiar. I have a 240Z in the garage with a LS1 sitting on the ground waiting to go in. Just have to get all the rust repair on the floors done, along with some custom 2x3" subframe connectors and get that damn powerglide thats torn apart on my bench back together with new parts. One day I guess.

Nice ride though! Make sure to shoot some updates up soon.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great!

Only weird thing I see is the x pipe having the junction so far back?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
Looks great!

Only weird thing I see is the x pipe having the junction so far back?
Tranny is pretty big for the tunnel as it is so its more of a clearace thing.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wong
Tranny is pretty big for the tunnel as it is so its more of a clearace thing.
I understand...

Im sure you know its not as efficient, if theres any way to get it closer I would..., maybe an H pipe instead and bend the pipe to wrap around?... something along those lines...otherwise the crossover is kinda pointless that far back...
But im sure you also have ground clearance as well as the tranny to deal with for space:p

Good luck with it though, looks like a nice project!

Quick Reply: The Datsun 600Z Lots of pics