Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd and 4th gen torque arms question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd and 4th gen torque arms question

I am wondering if they are the same? I have been thinking of upgrading my TA, and have an ls1 and a t56 trans, but have the 3rd gen rear. What TA to go with here?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Yep there the same. im using a TA from a 2000 Camaro LS1 on my 91 camaro
Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

so you have to change the ta to put a 4l60e in a thirdgen if you keep the thirdgen rear?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92zcamaroperson
so you have to change the ta to put a 4l60e in a thirdgen if you keep the thirdgen rear?
no.

there are two style torque arms. early 3rdgen (82 to early 1/4 of 84) and 84 to 2002

while there are minor diffs between some, they are all totally interchangable.

the only diff between the later one and the early one is the angle of the curves at the transmission end.. imagine looking at the the torque arm end by the transmission... one way, it looks like a M..... on the early one, it looks like a W.... so you need a diffrent bushing.

however the rearends are all interchangable. so you can use any torque arm you want, no issues.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Of course, when you move to an 'off the tailshaft' style torque arm they will not interchange.

Kevin D.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shr00m-dew
Of course, when you move to an 'off the tailshaft' style torque arm they will not interchange.

Kevin D.
correct.
this pertains to stock torque arms only.

i like the spohn if you go aftermarket. bolts right in. the BMR version you have to weld the crossbrace.

its tit for tat, depending on your setup. sometimes the bmr comes in handy cause you can use your stock(or custom) tranny brace.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as off the trans options, i dont like the spohn one..
with a T56, you already have the crossmember "reaching back" for the transmission.. and while overbuilt is good to a extent, the crossmember itself weighs more then my entire shorter aftermarket torque arm, and my trans crossmember put together.

then coming off the back of this already long "reaching back" crossmember, you have the linkage to connect the torque arm... does it work? yes. does it weigh a ton? yes. is it totally in the way of things, yea... and it leaves you minimal exhaust room.
also, for a LS1, you'll need to elongate the trans mount holes in the spohn crossmember. no big deal, but after paying a premium price for something so simple, you shouldnt have to do that.

the Jegster arm bolts in ok... the BMR is a weld in, but its your only other off the tailshaft shorter TQ arm option... i have the jegster in mine.

one of the benifits of using a torque arm that doesnt go on the crossmember, is you can then use a crossmember like this one:

(for more info on it, read this thread: http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...ht=crossmember )
Attached Thumbnails 3rd and 4th gen torque arms question-ypipe1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

what headers are those that pic?

I have both the one from the formula (stock), and the stock one from the 98 Z28. I was just wondering for ordering an aftermarket one that is tubular. I will be sticking with the ones that mount to the trans. Thanks for the help here guys.

Chris

Quick Reply: 3rd and 4th gen torque arms question