Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advantages of LS1 over Turbo Buick motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Major issues!!!

I am thinking of getting out of the Turbo Buick scene but am having a really hard time with it. You see I have owned both an 87 GN and an 87 Turbo-T for several years having sold my 10-sec. Turbo-T not too long ago. I also own a 1970 Datsun 240-Z which has a Turbo Buick motor and DANA-36 (Corvette) in it. I am really looking hard at the performance advantages of running the LS1 based motors. These advantages are the HP Tuners software vs. a FAST DFI (or the like) needed for a serious Buick (9-sec.), the staock block and crank strength vs. having to buy either a Stage II or TA Performance block, the availability of parts where as the Turbo Buick stuff is getting harder and more expensive to find. Not to mention the facts that GM no longer supports this car with parts as well as more and more vendors carrying less and less Turbo Buick stuff. I really do love my GN and the motors but it sure does seem like the LS1 stuff is so much more practical for going faster for less not to mention the motors are not going anywhere for a good long time. I have an LS1 motor sitting here waiting to fill the spot where one of the Turbo Buick motors is now (GN or Datsun). My T/A is responsible for this. LOL. Thanks for listening and I guess it is time to make a decision one-way or the other.

Jim C.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats quite a cooler for your turbo there! Nice large shop also! I like the LS1's myself, but more of a road/daily driver, not a racer (also not one to park it in the garage for months).
Getting down into 9's is really something. Seems like an LS1 with supercharger ought to do something like that? Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i grow up i want a garrage like that! you sir are my hero