Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i gess your right and i like your graph by the way
Old 04-27-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Default OK, how about a MKIII Supra Beater sleeper?

My Ebay special:

has sat in the FL sun for several years & looks like crap. However, I've found I can put decent tires under the rear end on stock appearing factory (MK IV) 17" wheels.

My drawback at this point is the tranny- from what I've looked at on these cars, the tunnel is too tight for a T56.

While there is some speculation the W58 (NA) or R154 (Turbo) tranny will handle lots of HP & TQ, from looking at them this doesn't appear to be the case.

Why an LS1 vs. the Toyota/Lambo/etc. motor?
1) I like Chevy V8s!
2) Parts cost, interchangability, & availability
3) Plenty of power right out of the box w/o costly mods
4) Reliability- blown headgaskets are well known on the MKIII Supras
5) I've got stuff leftover from all the other swaps I've done or am doing

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
The best way to learn is to be made fun of
Respectfully disagree... the best way is to lurk while someone else is made fun of regarding something you were wondering about!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
Respectfully disagree... the best way is to lurk while someone else is made fun of regarding something you were wondering about!
Someone's gotta do it. If everyone's afraid to ask a question, nobody gets the answer they're looking for. It doesnt hurt to act the fool once in a while, as long as you dont make a habit of it... Although it IS pretty funny when someone gets the grill.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

so i was thinkin the other night how possible it might be to drop in an LS1-M6 into a 90' honda civic 4dr. the car is currently gutted to hell and only weighs 1960 lbs right now. i was thinking the firewall could come back plenty for the enine to sit in there and also getting a narrowed rear to stuff 315's under it......... if i had all the tools supplies and money i would start the build but i just wanted to see what you all thought?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Anytime you put a Chevy engine in a Jap car, it is an improvement to me.

Some are just a lot easier than others.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MOLESTER
so i was thinkin the other night how possible it might be to drop in an LS1-M6 into a 90' honda civic 4dr. the car is currently gutted to hell and only weighs 1960 lbs right now. i was thinking the firewall could come back plenty for the enine to sit in there and also getting a narrowed rear to stuff 315's under it......... if i had all the tools supplies and money i would start the build but i just wanted to see what you all thought?
The EF Honda engine bays are much smaller than their EG (92-95) and EK (96-00) brothers. I measured a CRX engine bay the one time and it would roughly fit a small block mopar block between the firewall and rad support. Tranny/accessories? It was going to take some cutting/torch. So yeah, i'm not sure if the ls1 is any smaller but i doubt it's much.. i don't see it happening though without significant fab work.

I saw a sbc Teg a long time ago and the motor was pretty far back into the passanger compartment along with the driveshaft tunnel being much bigger (had a completely sheet metal interior).

Also, i believe the engine bay is much too shallow to fit a v8. I want to say near the rad support it's around 18-20" tall. Considering the motor would have to be almost even with that... yeah, i would think an ls1 is taller than that.

Basically way more work than it's worth. By the time you get done you'll have a Civic funny car and it'll in no way resemble stock so the sleeper idea would be dead. Maybe possible with a newer Civic but not with an older one.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=V8 Supra Builder]Anytime you put a Chevy engine in a Jap car, it is an improvement to me. QUOTE]

Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by njn63
The EF Honda engine bays are much smaller than their EG (92-95) and EK (96-00) brothers. I measured a CRX engine bay the one time and it would roughly fit a small block mopar block between the firewall and rad support. Tranny/accessories? It was going to take some cutting/torch. So yeah, i'm not sure if the ls1 is any smaller but i doubt it's much.. i don't see it happening though without significant fab work.

I saw a sbc Teg a long time ago and the motor was pretty far back into the passanger compartment along with the driveshaft tunnel being much bigger (had a completely sheet metal interior).

Also, i believe the engine bay is much too shallow to fit a v8. I want to say near the rad support it's around 18-20" tall. Considering the motor would have to be almost even with that... yeah, i would think an ls1 is taller than that.

Basically way more work than it's worth. By the time you get done you'll have a Civic funny car and it'll in no way resemble stock so the sleeper idea would be dead. Maybe possible with a newer Civic but not with an older one.
oh i know its gonna take significant work. take in mind that the car is already gutted, no dash, nothing but two seats and the steering column. i was figuring having almost half of the engine in the actual car with some new sheetmetal resembling a firewall. a while back the boys from one of the mags put a caddy 500ci in a chevette.-- the car would almost be a full tube frame chassis with a honda body but the looks on peoples faces when they see it would be great. and to somewhat hold the sleeper affect theres nothing some good limo timt wont hide.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by king_kong
hey guys i was bord to day in math class and i just got this idea and its just a thought im not doin it or anything i just want to kno what you think.

i was thinkin why not get a like '94 supra and put an ls1 in it. and i got this idea cuz me and my buddy were talkin about really cool sleepers and i was thinkin how to make it that altinmit sleeper. so you put the ls1 in the supra and you put a big *** rice exaust on it. now i kno this sounlds bad and a discras to that ls1 but i was just thinkin it would be a bad *** sleeper car cuz those rice exaust are alredy load so you woulndent really be able to tell that it bad a v8 or anything in it.

well its just a thought let me kno what you think. peace
maybe an older supra....
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2JZ is a better motor than a LS1 sorry, and so is the RB
Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Not necessarily, pure stock to pure stock . Man, I thought being a Supra was soooo yesterday?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slick1851
Wow you must be hanging out with your ricer buddies or something man
Old 05-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Teching In

well i think any motor that can handle 1000HP on a stock bottom is a ******* VERY good motor.....2JZ

i think the rb's suck
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is sure going downhill.. dsmgst- did you just sign up to post that? Isnt this section LS1 engines into non-ls1 cars? Not ricer forums arguing over which motor is best. next it'll be "well if you put $xxxx into this motor, with a stage 4++ turbo kit, running xx lbs of boost, it'll beat..."

Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
this is sure going downhill.. dsmgst- did you just sign up to post that? Isnt this section LS1 engines into non-ls1 cars? Not ricer forums arguing over which motor is best. next it'll be "well if you put $xxxx into this motor, with a stage 4++ turbo kit, running xx lbs of boost, it'll beat..."

RIGHT!! Here, I'll make all of the rice-a-ronis happy. The stock 2JZ is soooooo strong that you can push 150psi + through it yeilding 2500rwhp on pump gas for years on end, with nooo problems. Is that about right??
Old 05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
RIGHT!! Here, I'll make all of the rice-a-ronis happy. The stock 2JZ is soooooo strong that you can push 150psi + through it yeilding 2500rwhp on pump gas for years on end, with nooo problems. Is that about right??

Hahahah thats hilarious
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, and ls1s runs 8's stock

You guys are rediculous.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, and ls1s runs 8's stock

You guys are rediculous.

Haha who said that? I love supras, but its funny how every supra thread turns into an ls1 vs 2jz battle! Im not pointing fingers at anyone but thats what it always turns into. The engines are both really well built and make awesome power, but they are totally different. One is an aluminum v8 made for N/A (does pretty well with boost on stock internals), while the other is a forged v6 that is built to take massive amounts of boost...so why compare the two?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha who said that? I love supras, but its funny how every supra thread turns into an ls1 vs 2jz battle! Im not pointing fingers at anyone but thats what it always turns into. The engines are both really well built and make awesome power, but they are totally different. One is an aluminum v8 made for N/A (does pretty well with boost on stock internals), while the other is a forged v6 that is built to take massive amounts of boost...so why compare the two?
pretty much what i was thinking. Anyone who bashes either motor should be slapped.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

pretty much what i was thinking. Anyone who bashes either motor should be slapped.
exactly, some people just like to start **** or bash another car/engine because it isnt what they have or what they like, regardless of how it performs. Personally, Id drive any car with an ls1 or 2jz in it.

Quick Reply: supra sleeper????