LS1 in my '60 Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Lou
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in my '60 Pontiac

Hi I'm Lou and new to the forum!
Wish I had found out about you guys a couple months ago before we started this project!
Anywho, here goes!
My Son I are putting a '99 Camaro LS1 and 4L60E in a 1960 Pontiac Ventura. We a truly "shade tree" mechanics and try to do most of our own work, with enough knowledge to get us in trouble!!! We have the motor and trans in the car. We paln to use as much as the LS1 stuff as we can. So far with a little creativity we can use the complete motor and all accessories as well as the Camaro radiator electric fans and air conditioning condenser. Will be nice if we need to replace anything on the road!!
Next we have installed a 1993 Caprice gas tank in the stock Pontiac location with the rear fill and all.
We don't think the stock Caprice pump will be enough for the LS1.
The first TWO BIG questions we have are,
1. What in tank fuel pump can we transplant to feed the LS1?

Next we are going to completley rewire the car. Didn't really have to but want some extra circuts for air, windows, locks etc. We are going to use a Painless kit, as I've had good luck with Painless on other projects.
We thought we should also get the Painless LS1 plug and play engine harness. (The catalog says we need a '98 Camaro computer???) Some folks think it is not necessary!
2. What are your thoughts on wiring the motor in this situation?
I'm sure there will be more questions as we go!
Thanks,
Any help will be apprieciated.
Louis M. Poleselli
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

gotta find a pump that will feed that thristy ls1, the fuel pressure runs right about 60 psi in these engines, so your best bet might be trying to get a ls1 fuel pump to mount in the tank.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the site
Old 03-02-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Search around and you will find most anything you need to know. Also, if you find what you need, check the sponsors when you get ready to order. Everyone of the LS1Tech sponsors I have dealt with have done a great job so far.