Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Pressure sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006 | 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Default Fuel Tank Pressure sensor?

Can these be readily scavenged from an F-body fuel tank? Has anyone had any luck retofitting one? I've never actually seen one (or seen a post about one, for that matter). Looking through the shop manual, it seems that this sensor is necessary for the vapor purge solenoid to activate.

In my car, 93' RX-7, the Charcoal canister and related crap is still intact forward of the gas tank. Rather than disturb it, I figured I would run the vapor vent line out of the Mazda canister to the barbed fitting on the LS1 canister purge that feeds the intake. This seems like a reasonable solution to avoid that vented fuel smell in the garage. I don't think I can kick it on on though without the fuel press. sensor.

That is unless the purge can be re-programmed, via 'edit, to open at some sort of frequency/cruise conditions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

The pressure sensor is located on the top of the sending unit not the actual tank. I plan on hooking it up in my car, but lucky for me the whole f-body plastic tank fits right into place in my car.
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

The fuel tank pressure sensor is used to test for evap. system leaks as the OBD II system goes through it's self tests. When called for, it monitors tank ppressure or vacuum as the test progresses. It will cause the PCM the turn on the MIL if it detects a pressure or vacuum loss at certain points in the test. They are pretty fragile. I would say that the purge system will work without it but if you are running a full OBD II system, you will need it.
Old 03-07-2006 | 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I'll try and pick up an F-body sending unit off Flea Bay and see what I can do. According to the GM manual, the ECU monitors the tank pressure via the FPS and actuates the purge when it passes a certain threshold. The mil I'm not too concerned with as it could be shut off via edit. I'm more interested in recycling the tank fumes to keep my garage smelling clean

Ryan
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:50 PM
Launching!

The sensor is just pressed into a rubber grommet in the top of the pump assy. Not hard to remove. The old Mazda pressure regulator return is a good place to mount it. Just push it into a short piece of hose and clamp it and clamp the hose to the old return line. You can do it up in the engine bay to make the wiring easy.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Pressure sensor?