Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 swap for 72 K/5 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006 | 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Default LQ4 swap for 72 K/5 4x4

After reading posts and compiling some research I think I'm ready to start my conversion. I have a LQ4 out of a 2005 hummer on it's way so I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about where to start.

What I would like to do first is just get it into the engine compartment and mated up to my NV4500 that I swapped in some months ago. My first question (problably of many) is will the bellhousing and clutch assembly from a newer truck that had the same transmission work? I'm sure it will bolt up but I'm more concerned if the length is the same as my present bellhousing? I'm hoping it is because I don't want to go through moving everything again and having my drivelines remade. If not do I have other options? I know I'll have to come up with a way to mount the mastercylinder and make the linkage work. I'm thinking I can use the same bracket used for the T56 swap or atleast use it for a pattern.

Along the same lines can I get a VSS that will interface with my mechanical speedometer and make everything work the way it is supposed to with the PCM? I've seen the parts but haven't been able to find anyone that has done it with my same application.

I did see one article where a member here did the same swap but there wasn't any mention of the transmission he used. I would be very interested in finding some more information on how his swap went if anyone knows. I've done a search but info on a swap into a 4x4 using an NV4500 seems to be slim.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by billyjo
Along the same lines can I get a VSS that will interface with my mechanical speedometer and make everything work the way it is supposed to with the PCM? I've seen the parts but haven't been able to find anyone that has done it with my same application.

You should not need a VSS unless it's a auto trans 4L60E or 80E. Or if you are running a electric speedo. Check out this link it's a later K-5 but has some pictures and info http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa...eng/index.html
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Bo185, thanks for the information. I've read that same thing about not needing the VSS but I've also read that having it helps the PCM controll the injectors in sudden stops and up and down 4x4 applications. I don't know if there is any truth to it or not.

Also thanks for the link to that article I've read it and it's what really got me wanting to do this swap.

What I'm really looking for is if I can use the stock bellhousing, clutch and pp with my setup. I'm going to have to call some wrecking yard today to see if the length of the bellhousings are the same.