Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in Fox body A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSx in Fox body A/C help

I am doing the LSx in Fox body stang swap. I need help with interfacing the factory A/C switch (in dash), pressure switch and the A/C comp. (Chevy). What the goal is here is to use the factory dash controls and Ford dryer,condensor and evaporator with a Chevy compressor (custom lines of course).
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have two options -- GM style PCM controlled, Ford style cycling switch controlled.

Using the PCM, the A/C switch wires up to the LS1 PCM and the PCM cycles the compressor. You'll also need the LS1's A/C pressure sensor plumbed into the line right before the orifice tube (high pressure side).

The other option is the Ford route, where you'll leave everything alone and just move the Ford A/C compressor wires from the drivers side to wherever you mount your compressor.

I'm going one step farther (like everything else on my car) and swapping the A/C evaporator cores. My A/C system will be 100% from an LS1 car, minus a couple custom lines so they'll reach. A Mustang's engine bay is about a foot longer than an F-car
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brains
The other option is the Ford route, where you'll leave everything alone and just move the Ford A/C compressor wires from the drivers side to wherever you mount your compressor.
Well on 4.6 cars the A/C compressor sits in the same location as the LS1 compressor, but what would need to be done to wire up the LS1 compressor to turn on? My motor harness has the A/C wire pulled out and labeled for me, but me and wiring don't mix
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just hook up the two wires that went to the old compressor, to the new compressor... Done
Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Just hook up the two wires that went to the old compressor, to the new compressor... Done
Could it possibly be that easy? It seems to fit right along the line of everything else in this swap! Can't possibly be that simple.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it really is that simple You'll have a tougher time getting the lines hooked up and routed, that's for sure...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Yes, it really is that simple You'll have a tougher time getting the lines hooked up and routed, that's for sure...
That won't be too hard either, just need to find someone that can make the lines. Those and the power steering lines...
Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

All you need is the wire to actuate the coil in the compressor so you should be able to use the factory stang wire to actuate it and the use the ford low pressure switch and only have to make lines.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

The power steering is beyond simple. You only need to change one fitting and call it done. I'm using the LS1 pressure line, and changing the fitting on the rack side. For the return, I'm using the factory Ford line and simply trimming it to length.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

The power steering is beyond simple. You only need to change one fitting and call it done. I'm using the LS1 pressure line, and changing the fitting on the rack side. For the return, I'm using the factory Ford line and simply trimming it to length.
Well I'm retaining the Ford Hydroboost system for the brakes and power steering, but it should still be the same as just swapping lines. Just need to know what lines are the pressure lines and what lines are the return lines...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's usually easy to spot -- the pressure lines will be crimped, the return lines typically are just clamped. Not sure on the hydra-boost setup though.

My conversion just got a little weird-er... I'm putting 13" disc on all four corners, pushed by an LT1 Camaro booster and master Now I need to decide which prop. valve to run, and I DO happen to have an LS1 anti-lock brake pump sitting here
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

That's usually easy to spot -- the pressure lines will be crimped, the return lines typically are just clamped. Not sure on the hydra-boost setup though.

My conversion just got a little weird-er... I'm putting 13" disc on all four corners, pushed by an LT1 Camaro booster and master Now I need to decide which prop. valve to run, and I DO happen to have an LS1 anti-lock brake pump sitting here

Hmm, sounds interesting...and slightly complicated. LOL You ought to go all out on the brakes and do the Vette calipers on all 4 corners!!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

These rotors are larger than the 'Vette stuff, but we'll see if they stop as well. Stopping power is the main reason I'm swapping to a Camaro brake master and booster - the stock master and booster aren't up to snuff with the STOCK brakes, much less bigger twin-piston calipers (up front). The 13 inch rotors are actually not that much heavier, which has me pleased as well. It will limit my drag wheel choices for sure, so I will likely end up selling off the rear setup and going with a more standard 11.x inch rotor.

Here's a couple pics of what I have:

The rear calipers are on the way, and I still need to stop by a Ford dealer to pick up rear axle brackets.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

as far as the prop valve, i would gut the factory one for either (ford or chevy) and put in a wilwood or equiv. on the firewall where the factory rear line has a fittingon the pass. side. the results are much more pleasing (once you get the bias the way you want)!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldnt it be better to have the pcm control the ac to help it adjust the idle and turn on the cooling fans?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to jack the thread, but I think it is related enough to be helpful. I'm in the same situation w/ regards to contolling the a/c system via the stock pcm and would like some clarification on a few things. (I'm using a 2002 pcm from a truck). The pinouts for the truck pcm a/c control are (see below and attached diagram):

C2 (Red connector)
pin 11 ac high pressure recirculation switch signal
pin 17 ac request signal
pin 43 ac compressor clutch relay control
pin 55 ac low pressure switch signal

1. Does the pcm require a ground at pin 55 on the red connector to cycle the compressor?

2. If so and if I'm not running the low pressure switch, can I just run it to ground?

3. What is the function of the "high pressure recirculation switch" signal that goes to pin 11 on the red connector?

4. Is this necessary to cycle the compressor?

help
Attached Thumbnails LSx in Fox body A/C help-ac-diagram-2002.jpg  
Old 05-29-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're going to have the PCM controlling the system, run the sensors/switches that match. Otherwise you'll spend more time chasing down issues than enjoying cool air
Old 05-29-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm pretty sure that I just need a high pressure switch and low pressure switch, but I can't find anyone that knows what the purpose of the "high pressure recirculation switch" is. Any ideas?

Max
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 AM
8 Second Club

brains , why don't you update your site?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I really need to I've been behind on that kinda stuff. Working on LS1Tech search

Quick Reply: LSx in Fox body A/C help