Sponsored by:

Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring question

Hi all,
I am wiring the LS1 wires into my car right now. I have one question about the big orange wire. I've read the link above for all the info about the wires and I have one confusion. In the link it said connect the big orange wire to the battery. Here is the confusion part: I have the whole ignition switch from the donor car with the key and this is my finding:
2 Red wires = inputs from battery
1 Pink = Ignition 1 - Hot in Run and cranking
1 Orange = Ignition 2 - Hot in Run only and off during cranking
1 Yel = Starter - Hot while cranking only
1 Brown = Acc - Hot in ACC and Run, off during cranking

Reading the manuals it does said the orange wire is hot at all times. I think what it meant was hot at all times when the key is in the ignition. Thanks for any info clearing this up.
V.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where does the "Big orange" wire go(computer harness or into the dash harness)? What year is the wiring? Normally on a GM car the orange wires are constant hot. The computer requires a constant power supply which is a orange wire in every diagram I have found.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

This big orange wire is going into the underhood fuse box along with a big pink wire. Both of these wires are fed from the ignition key that I mentioned above. The constant 12V in my LS1 car is RED not orange. Thanx for the input
Old 03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure about that? In my '98 the orange wire is battery feed to the computer. All other pink wires are switched 12 v.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I just recheck the manual again. Yes all the small orange wires coming out of the underhood fuse box are constant 12V feed to other devices. They are internally connected to the Red wire thru fuses. However the big orange wire coming into the fuse box is the ignition 2 feed to the underhood fuse box and it is coming from the ignition switch. So is the big Pink wire and the Yel wire.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

when in doubt follow the manual, as long as its not a CHILTON's. I build harnesses for the LSx stuff and like G-BODY said, pink is always IGN. HOT, and orange is always Battery Hot when dealing with engine harnesses. I attatched the IGN switch diagram that I have. It appears that what you have learned is correct! What you are confussing yourself with is that you are dealing with two seperate harnesses, and that most of the stuff in the sticky's is only referencing the engine harness.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
IGN switch.doc (33.5 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by txoutlaw; 03-19-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Txoutlaw,
Thanks for the info. Yes I got it now.

Quick Reply: Wiring question