Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several Questions from an LS-x Newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Several Questions from an LS-x Newbie...

Hi All,

I'm putting a (carburated, and possibly twin turbo'ed) 2003 Corvette LS-1 in my '47 Ford Coupe. I'm gonna use a built MCSS "CQ" 200R4 tranny and will need a flexplate since my engine was a 6 speed. Which flexplate should I look for?

How does the water pump pulley come off (or does it)? It appears to be pressed on. Ditto for the PS pump pulley?

Does anyone make a stand-alone knock sensor that works with the factory sensors but without the PCM?

I was gonna flip my Corvette manifolds to mount the turbos, but they interfere with the spark plugs. It seems the AIR <?> bosses are the culprit. Can these be ground off and welded without coming apart?

As sure as I'm typing this, I'm forgetting something...

TIA!

Russ
Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why the hell would you use a carb on twin tubo LS1 ? WP pulley does not come off, power sterring puleey does but you need a PS pulley puller to do it, the VCM uses the knock sensors, if you dont have a VCM you dont need knock sensors, the AIR fitting can be welded up on the manifold
Old 03-18-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving to Conversions & Hybrids section.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oange ss
why the hell would you use a carb on twin tubo LS1 ?
Because I can...

WP pulley does not come off, power sterring puleey does but you need a PS pulley puller to do it
Thanks!

the VCM uses the knock sensors, if you dont have a VCM you dont need knock sensors
Found this

the AIR fitting can be welded up on the manifold
OK.

Thanks!

Russ
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are doing a turbo setup, and using a carb you are in for a loooooong ride with tuning issues. if you look back over the years you will find that there are not many carb/turbo cars from the factory (and they have millions of $ to work with). even they found this setup to be a challenge!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

I'd have to agree, that a turbo carb setup on an engine that has a GREAT EFI setup borders on downright silly.

There are 2 big problems.
1.) Cost. It'll cost you significantly more to run the carb than to just run the EFI setup (which you can get used dirt cheap). You can stay with the factory PCM or run an aftermarket controller (like MegaSquirt) and run with or without the turbos and still not have a bunch of money in it. Maybe money doesn't concern you, but for the rest of us, I'd rather put my money into making the motor run stronger or some other kind of modification that makes the car better. Going carb'd is a lateral move at best.

2.) Performance. In naturally aspirated form, the carb MIGHT (maybe, with a razor sharp tune) make a few more hp than a good LS6 manifold, but will likely be short on torque. But in turbo form, the carb will be a tuning headache. I'm assuming that it'll be a blow-thru application (because nobody with any sense trys running a draw-thru carb on a turbo setup. But you've still got to modify the carb to run under pressure and then get it tuned up so that it doesn't go lean and melt the pistons out of the thing or run so pig rich that you kill power / rings / cylinder walls. How many months do you plan on spending tuning it to get it right? How much Dyno time? How many engine rebuilds have you budgeted for? The stock pistons won't put up with too much before they throw in the towel.

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Because I can...
There are alot of things that you CAN do. But there are some things in life that you CAN do that you SHOULDN'T do. This is likely one of those things. But hey, its your car, your time and your $$$, spend it however you please.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry dudes! I've got an injected turbo car right now (S-10 with a GN motor) and it's constantly on the edge. I have to pay someone to burn chips or spend $2500 for an aftermarket setup. I don't see where the LS motor will be any different.
  • Edelbrock Victor Jr $280.00
  • MSD 6010 ignition $262.00
  • CSU blower carb $750.00
To me $1300 looks a little better than $2500. I'm NOT looking for 1200 HP, just a nice low maintenance street ride. Maybe 550 HP on 8 lbs or so. Going for eye-pop, not 9 second quarters!

Russ
Old 03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, i guess my stuff is junk too. I',m putting together a carbed, supercharged, doug nash 5 speeded, Escalade motor.............just cuz people say i cant and it's "too expensive"...........LoL...i never listen cuz i'm hard headed and like junk i can work on myself.....kinda old fashioned i guess. I say run it if ya want and ignore all the nay sayers! Check these guys out, they can make carbed blow thru's work and they make em work on FORD's Lol

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Sorry dudes! I've got an injected turbo car right now (S-10 with a GN motor) and it's constantly on the edge. I have to pay someone to burn chips or spend $2500 for an aftermarket setup. I don't see where the LS motor will be any different.
Most Aftermarket systems are pretty pricey. However, MegaSquirt is darned cheap (but it is do it yourself). The factory PCM can do what you're looking to do also, and it doesn't use chips. With a copy of HPTuners or similar software, you can make just about any adjustments you need.....

But again, its your $$$ and your truck. Do whatever you like, because you're going to regardless of what I say. I'm just suggesting you do some research on what the capabilities of the system are before you just throw it out.

And BTW, 550hp shouldn't be all that hard to do. Popular Hot Rodding ran an article on an SLP 402 that made 580hp naturally aspirated (probably 18months or so ago). And yes, that motor will make power differently than a 550hp turbo motor (torque and rpm ranges will likely be different). And the new LS7 motor in the vette (which is 7.0l and really expensive) is factory rated at 505hp (with full emissions compliance). Just trying to point out that the goal isn't all that hard for this series of motor.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Several Questions from an LS-x Newbie...