Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 into 1970 mustang mach1

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 into 1970 mustang mach1

well i got a straight,rust free 70 mustang shell.going to go with ls1,any suggestions?will it fit?this will be carbed so no fuel injection issues.cant wait to see faces when i pop the hood.some purists will get pissed but who cares.i dont have none of the original drivetrain so ls1 it is.actually it will be another 6.0 escalade motor and 200-4r trans,big scary cam like the magic stick 3.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was it originally a mach 1?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

yes it is a m code car.decoded as 351 cleveland,4 speed shaker car but i have none of that stuff.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

If it was originally a Mach 1 then you would be better off to make it original. Those are rare cars.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

ditto. I'm no purist, but those are beautiful and rare cars, and I'd definately get a 351w and a toploader to put in it, even if not numbers matching. If you want to **** of purists, buy a regular one, they made millions..
olly
Old 03-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
ditto. I'm no purist, but those are beautiful and rare cars, and I'd definately get a 351w and a toploader to put in it, even if not numbers matching. If you want to **** of purists, buy a regular one, they made millions..
olly
They made more 351 machs than ya think, i believe it was the standard drivetrain, and all else where options. Since the motor and trans are gone, it will never make the purists happy, screw 'em put the LS1 in it! Besides, STOCK 351'a are pigs, stock LS!'s are not...LoL.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're right, I googled it, and they made 40, 970 of them compared to 77k coupes, and 39.500 "sportsroof" editions.. They're not as rare as I thought.. Boss 429's on the other hand, they made less than 500.. I'd still make a radical 351 if it was me, but it's your ride...
olly
Old 03-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

only problem i see would be oil pan.how the hell do i accomplish that?any ideas?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up '70 Mach l...

The '70 Mach l with the Shaker hood option indicates that the 351 Cleveland that was in your car was the four-barrel Cleveland(not the standard 351-C 2V Mach l engine). This motor/drivetrain was very desirable & was grossly under-rated in both torque and horsepower figures, as was the Boss 302 & Chevy's 302 Z-28, and others at that time, for insurance purposes. That year 351-C had the most desirable quench chamber heads & highest compression ratio of any stock, hydraulic cam engine of it's era. This engine was far from a dog...To find & own a '70 Mustang(let alone a Mach l) that is totally rust-free, is a miracle. I love LS1's...But that car should definitely be restored to original. No question. Gar
Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to go against what the rest of these guys are saying. If you don't have the original engine, transmission, or shaker hood, then all you have is a Mustang shell that WAS something rare. Not anymore. I say LS1 it and tick off the Mustang guys. I have people all the time ask me why I "runined" such a nice Corvette. In '70 Chevy only built about 17k Corvettes, coupe and convertible combined. My car didn't have the original motor in it when I bought it so when the replacement motor let go, I had no problem putting in the LS1 and T56. I enjoy the car 100x more with this combination than I ever did with the carbed SB and 4 speed.

My only suggestion to you would be to keep the fuel injection. You're going to need an electric fuel pump anyway, since the LSx block has no provision for the pump mounted to the block. Using stock fuel rail, injectors, and PCM, it isn't really that much cheaper to go the carb setup. For me, the increase in drivabilty from the injection is what makes the swap so great.

No matter what, it's your car so do whatever you want. Good luck and keep us posted with pics of the progress.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, looking at some of those production numbers... My Road Runner (GTX) was 1 out of 117 made with a 440, not narrowing any futher options down.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I'm going to go against what the rest of these guys are saying. If you don't have the original engine, transmission, or shaker hood, then all you have is a Mustang shell that WAS something rare. Not anymore. I say LS1 it and tick off the Mustang guys. I have people all the time ask me why I "runined" such a nice Corvette. In '70 Chevy only built about 17k Corvettes, coupe and convertible combined. My car didn't have the original motor in it when I bought it so when the replacement motor let go, I had no problem putting in the LS1 and T56. I enjoy the car 100x more with this combination than I ever did with the carbed SB and 4 speed.

My only suggestion to you would be to keep the fuel injection. You're going to need an electric fuel pump anyway, since the LSx block has no provision for the pump mounted to the block. Using stock fuel rail, injectors, and PCM, it isn't really that much cheaper to go the carb setup. For me, the increase in drivabilty from the injection is what makes the swap so great.

No matter what, it's your car so do whatever you want. Good luck and keep us posted with pics of the progress.

Not true at all. He can still restore that mustang to original (not matching numbers) but original. NOS parts are not hard to obtain for those cars and it could easily return its rarity. It'll cost a pretty penny, but it's possible. On the flip side, who cares about an original stang anyway go ***** to the wall with it. That's what a stang needs, a lil LS1 blood running through it. Go for it man.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys,only prob i have is oil pan.i think i can use the vette batwing version but i dont know.ls1 it is.how much easier is fuel injection.i know these cars dont need a return line,what fuel pump do i use?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

351C's are bigger dogs than 351W's in stock form, of course unless yer talking about the boss 351...........Screw originality, how many freaking over restore mustangs are there in the world..,,,about a million? GO for it LS! that thing and get over it. If someone is worried about an originally restore trailer queen, make an offer to the guy and buy it, you can "save" it. DO the LS!, i bet it would stand out, and people would freak, just don't put 10 inch cragers hangin' out the wheel wells.
Here's an idea, LS!, 6 speed, trans am style racer with some torque thrusts or mini lite's, loose the shaker (sell it, worth about a million dollars now) flat black the hood, wing it and paint it Chrome Yellow, or ralley blue, now that would be cool!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

go 1 better and put a 03-4 cobra motor in it so it retains some value...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLWN1
go 1 better and put a 03-4 cobra motor in it so it retains some value...
Thats been one idea of my, to take a late 60s Fast Back and use a 03/04 Cobra motor and suspension on it.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

have any of you seen that '78 camaro with the 03 kenne bell cobra motor.....that guy got flamed hard for that setup. lol. go for it ls1 is a badass powerplant
Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

car is original chrome yellow,i dont have the shaker hood and i give a **** about originality.its not like i will cut it up beyond putting it back stock.have you seen the price of a supercharged cobra motor?i can buy a whole car for that.i can build a stroker 6.0 and procharge or turbo it and destroy a cobra.let them flame,i dont give a ****.i have procharged ls1 cars pull on cobras very hard and a couple were kenne bell cars.imagine a procharged 408 under the hood,or turbo or squires turbo for that matter.turbo 408 would be dead silent and damn fast.now if i can just get the damn thing in there.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Where in Kentucky, I am just out of louisville! Trust me, it will go in that mustang. I shoved a 6.0 with a vortech Supercharger in a 70 Mark Donahue clone, Javelin. It was such a nice rust free car, and a camaro of the same quality would be 15 grand, i got this one for 2G's. I also am using a Richmond 5 speed in it too! Oh yeah, i'm ate up too, it's carbed. Was just the cheapest way for me. I could give a crap about what anyone says, i build my junk for me, if ya like it great, if not...........screw ya! I had to have my chassis guy build me a cross member and motormounts to make it bolt in. I had oil pan problems too, i ended up using a camaro pan, and my guy bent up a tubular cross member for more room. I am using all the stock accessories too, with A/C and camaro brkts.
Dude, chrome yellow, slats,spoiler blacked out hood fat wheels and tires, that would be the ****. I was looking for a 69 Stang to do it to, but the javelin was kjust soooooo nice.Start with a good car, end up with a good car!!!
SO DO IT! LS! it, don't be scared....lol

Besides, isn't that cobra motor like 8 feet wide? I thought i saw some where , even on the 69 up's ya gotta notch the shock tower?

I have my 6.0 in the Javelin, and have 20 inches from the front of the block to the core support, and it's so narrow, i centered the motor with tons of header room on both sides, my car has factory sidepipes, i need the room.Anyway, do it your way, it's your car. If ya need help, I can hook ya up with my chassis guy, he's reasonable, lots of experience, and smart. I saw this guy put a cage in a brand new $250,000 Porsche Carrera GT, he's got skills, the car was new off the transporter, and had plastic still on the seats, so he know what he's doing. mj
Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

it dosent really matter what motor you put in it, just dont hack up the sheetmetal of the car, or at least get another crossmemeber if you are going to weld stuff to it. allows you to remove your motor/trans as you feel nessecary and could sell it later on down the road.

Quick Reply: ls1 into 1970 mustang mach1