Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Rod Mag 'Old-Schooling the LS1'

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006 | 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

"Obviously adiabatic expansion is the next question on the list. So if we take a good look at the carburetor we see its not only a perfect machine for atomizing fuel, it also has another advantage. The joule-thompson effect.

Tests performed using quartz plates and infra red sensors located in the plenum area beneath an NHRA Pro-Stock engine revealed an intake manifold temperature drop on a 85 degree day of almost 20 degrees as a result of the the carburetor creating this effect.

So when your neighbor with EFI is ingesting 85 degree air, your power-plant could be ingesting 65 degree air."

Could someone please explain this to me? The delta P (ambient/intake) in the example is relatively low, so it seems this would have a negligible (measurable, but not significant) effect. What I'm likely to suspect is that the cooling is much more a result of the gasoline absorbing the heat thus lowering the intake charge temps. Yes, a nice benefit to running a carb. BTW, this has been done before on EFI motors to help cool the intake charge in race applications.

Andy1
Old 04-10-2006 | 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andy1
Chicane, I notice you originally made a post with a distinct degree of finality about carbs, which I suspect is the reason you have been challenged.
Yeah Andy... you are correct.

I guess actual working knowledge and understanding dont hold anything around here. Nor does the knowledge from working for Roger Penske, Dick Guldstrand and having around 2000 hours of dyno time with TRACO Engineering (the independant business behind GM's early EFI efforts), while working shoulder to shoulder with GM's engine development team... specifically the fuel injection engineers. Nor does it hold any water to have worked for PPI (along with TRD and TMS) on Ivan Stewarts SCORE efforts employing the development of the V8 power plant or having my hands in Fangio's Cart effort either. I bet growing up in the racing industry and cutting my feet on the salt at Bonneville wouldnt have anything to do with the knowledge I have retained over the years.

Ya know, its a shame I havent written down all the numbers from the tests and experience that form my opinion.

I could probably bet you that being an instrumentation engineer that works specifically in the theater of aero/thermodynamics, advanced heat transfer distribution and measurement and specializing in Liquid Crystal Thermography to desiminate results...... wouldnt support the theory to why the Joule-Thompson effect is an inthalpic process.

But then again, I'm not in my mid-20's and know everything. I just know and understand from what I have actually done in my life. But I think you are right.......

Originally Posted by Andy1
Could someone please explain this to me? The delta P (ambient/intake) in the example is relatively low, so it seems this would have a negligible (measurable, but not significant) effect. What I'm likely to suspect is that the cooling is much more a result of the gasoline absorbing the heat thus lowering the intake charge temps. Yes, a nice benefit to running a carb. BTW, this has been done before on EFI motors to help cool the intake charge in race applications.
Engine power is related to air intake temperature. Lets use the easier math; an 11.11*C (20*F) change in the intake charge, works out to around 3.58% difference in power production. On a 500hp engine, that works out to be roughly +18hp.......... going to the carburetor.

Yes, the fuel does absorb some of the heat in this process. Afterall, anytime you pressurize a fluid (which a fluid can be defined as a liquid or a gas) there will be an increase in temperature. So specifically, in reference to the fuel going thru an injector, it does transfer heat into the fluid. The emulsification properties actuall help the carburetor in this manner even more. Not to mention that anytime you turn a "fluid" more than 12* in a direction, the restriction and resultant friction also build heat into the mixture.

Joules experiment alone..... and a little time in understanding isothermal compressibility and understanding the variables in the expansion coefficient..... will go along way in your search for real conclusive explaination.
Old 04-10-2006 | 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Guys,
It just boils down to what turns your crank. Some like carbs, and some like EFI, it is just like red cars and blue cars, neither is the right color and neither is the wrong color. The argument can be made by the Carb guys that a properly tuned Carb will produce more power than an EFI, but the EFI guys can point to the fact that the EFI will automatically compensate when the temperature or barometric pressure change, while with the carb, you retune the carb when the weather changes. My personal opinion is that the EFI offers the best compromise betwen great power, good fuel economy, clean emissions, and good driveability. I drag raced form many years, and have had about all the jet changing I can stand for the rest of my life, and will probably never build another carbed car again except for the restorations that I do, and then only because it is necessary. For my hotrods, I am a solid convert to the LSX engine, and the GM designed EFI that comes with it. There are other electronics packages that appear to offer better performance and easier tuning than the GM PCM, but it does not offer some of the functions that I find necessary for a daily driven car, and the diagnostics that can be scanned when I am 500 miles from home, are an absolute necessity. As to the cost, I would guess that it costs more to convert a LSX engine to carb and MSD ignition, then you would ever spend on a harness and PCM programing. In regards to the complexity of the EFI, I would also disagree on that argument as well. The PCM and harness setups that are being sold now days are pretty much plug-and-play. When you move away from the race-only and theoretical engine and start talking about the real world of daily street driven cars ( where most of us really live), the EFI looks better and better.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-10-2006 | 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Chicane,

Well, that's certainly an impressive resume, especially if you're the DT part of BTDT. Lots of guys in racing have only BT, but talk the DT part too.

I think you missed part of my question, but that's ok. Anyway, I agree that lowering the intake charge temp will increase power. To some point, all IC engines are liquid cooled from the fuel in the intake charge.

I would be willing to bet we have crossed path's sometime throughout the years. Seems you've been around SoCal some. Though I have never worked professionally in the racing business, I have been around it my entire life (and have raced). Bonneville; yup, been there and El Mirage too. Wrenched on all kinds of stuff. Lot's of two-stroke stuff. Did quite a bit of carb work as well. A business partner sublet our shop to CCR in the early Mazda days, which was next door to John Morton's shop and around the corner from Electomotive. A good friend worked close by at Fisher Eng'g. RIR, OMS, Lion's, Gardena. Boy, those were the days!! Anyway, not too many years left before retiring from medical device engineering, so thought I'd build one last hotrod. LS1 powered 914 with a Getrag 6 speed; which is why I'm here. Guess what I've learned, is what I don't know.

Andy1
Old 04-10-2006 | 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vetski179
In this configuration, can it still get the economy AND performance that it gets in an OEM installation? Thanks!
No, but it's a good deal for those afraid of technology and I think a carb deal would be better for drag racing.

For a street car I will keep my EFI and besides, it's not like it saves you any money (to go the carb route)
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chicane
But then again, I'm not in my mid-20's and know everything. I just know and understand from what I have actually done in my life. But I think you are right.......
If this is a shot at me, which it certainly seems it is, I never claimed I know everything. Far from it. I just disagree with your opinion on this subject to a degree, and as Andy stated, the finality of your conclusion that was written into it.
Old 01-26-2012 | 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crash41301
I'm also willing to hear you out. However the fact that racing series where teams can choose between EFI and Carbs ALL choose EFI (besides top fuel and funny cars, where fuel injectors would have to be so large it would negate any reasoning to go with them in the first place) kind of puts a damper in your arguement.

I can see what you are saying. Infinate adjustment is irrelevant in relation to a carb vs EFI. So what if a carb has infinite granualarity? So does EFI. Its called closed loop. Guess what? It does it on the fly EFI also offers a finer spray pattern, better misting/mixing capabilities, and lots of other cool stuff over a carb. You can argue all day long that a properly set up carb can be perfect, but how many truely are? With EFI even if you are a moron the closed loop will take care of you better than 99.9% of carb setups until you are extensively modified. As for tuning a carb correct. Trust me I can get your EFI tuned correctly ALOT quicker than 80+hrs. Even if its a standalone with no base map I can get you up and running better than alot of carb setups with less than 10hrs of tuning.

About this whole topic, personally I dont care what people use. HOWEVER, I find it a waste of an LSx to go carb. Why wouldnt you just go with a 350? Cost you say? 350's are a dime a dozen, especially compared to LSx's which cost alot more. For what it cost to buy an LSx, then convert to carbs and a mini-computer controlled ignition system you could have a hell of a old school small block.

For the guy that said "why would you worry about gas mileage on these? They are toys go buy a honda if you want gas mileage". Umm... wow. You are saying that if you can get 25+mpg out of your toy vs 8-10mpg it doesnt matter? I know getting such good mpg enables me to drive my toy ALOT more often while you either pay out the *** for gas, or let yours sit in your garage. I daily drive my ls1 conversion. (though it is a second car and I dont "have to")
Just did my sons jeep 350sbc. Had very nice tpi,new injectors,new tps and iac,,etc,,etc. Swapped it out for a Q-jet I built and an hei that I recurved...Results?? easily out runs and out performs the tpi AND 3-4 mpg better. Cold here,,20 degrees. 3 pumps choke sets itself and fast idles then kick it down and drive away. good debate though. BTW, I actually remember reading that comment by Smokey.
Old 01-26-2012 | 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Wow! Don't know if I've ever seen somebody dig up a 6 year old thread before, congrats on using the search feature I guess
Old 01-26-2012 | 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boostnut
Wow! Don't know if I've ever seen somebody dig up a 6 year old thread before, congrats on using the search feature I guess
Yeah, I wasted part of my night reading this thread & waiting/watching to see if ANY of the dates on the posts would get more recent than '06, & thinking "GEEZ, this entire freakin' thread is just a whole lot of , and "

Sure hope we don't see any more threads like THIS one for a while...
Old 01-27-2012 | 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Go to the carb forum. There are a half dozen more threads on carb vs. EFI, many rehashing the same stuff. Only thing that seems to have changed is carb'd LS motors are pretty common now so there are a lot of people posting actual results.

I like my carb. I still don't have it quite right, but I like tinkering with it.

Oh, and I learned the other day that Purell hand sanitizer gets rid of the gas smell on your hands. Valuable knowledge.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Mag 'Old-Schooling the LS1'