Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody successfully extended their wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody successfully extended their wiring harness?

I am planning to extend my stock/modified wiring harness about 12 feet to get it in the trunk area of my 57 chevy. Since Im not an electrician, I wondered if their are any wire gage issues that I need to be aware of, or if it just plain not something that can be expected to work..?

Thanx for any help.!! DK
Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess if you have the patience, wire, heat shrink, and solder... anything is possible.
I'd probably step up to 20awg for most of it. Some of the wires are 18awg though.
If it were me, I'd just buy a new harness already made to the length needed. It's be a lot less headache, and chances are if something is wrong, it'd be easier to track down.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-1<&gt
I am planning to extend my stock/modified wiring harness about 12 feet to get it in the trunk area of my 57 chevy. Since Im not an electrician, I wondered if their are any wire gage issues that I need to be aware of, or if it just plain not something that can be expected to work..?

Thanx for any help.!! DK

thats too long for there not to be a voltage drop, or resistance change on alot of those signals. i wouldnt do it. i doubt a reputable wiring shop like speartech would do it either.. call them and ask.

the 55 i helped on mounted his under a custom center console.... looks cool.

theres minimal room underdash with a vintage air unit, but i think with some work, it could be made to fit.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine up inside the left front fender, it's completely out of sight and fits there real nice. I used an S-10 ECU mount, cost about $10 I think. You have big fenders like I do, so you should have plenty of room. I will be building a deflector shield for it just to protect it, but they are pretty weather tight. If you mount it somewhere where water might get near it, mount it with the plug to the side, or down so that if water does get to it, it will drain. Some of the factory Corvettes have them mounted in the fender too.

Pat
Old 04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

I extended mine, but by only about 3 feet. I used 18 gauge wire for all the connections, solder, heat shrink and a lot of patients. It was worth it because it allowed me to mount the ECU inside the car and out of the heat of the engine bay.

I would not go all the way to the trunk. Just sounds like your asking for issues that would be a nightmare to track down.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Anybody successfully extended their wiring harness?