Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a CRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not the the new auto tranny they are putting into the impalas and such, that way it would be a frontwheel drive car, with a v8
Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ratemyride.com/profile.php?uid=33873
Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

if you are going to use a impala tranny turn it long wise and put a lsd in it then you will have a tranny and transfer in one small neat package. add a front independent diff with half shaft's and a solid rear axle.granted it would be tight but then again your talking about a gen 3 in a crx tight isn't a issue now is it. this set up would work as long as you have enough room and fab eveything up. it's been done and used in off road application's were light weigh rigs were an issue. also been succesful. I do like the idea of a gen3 in a crx I pesonally been looking them over tring to figure out how I'd try to do one. one day I might get to do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

UH, YEAH.
good freakin luck.
a rwd V8 powered CRX that looks ANYTHING stock-like, will be a MAJOR undertaking.
what a PITA for something so, um, incapable of great performance?
(how would you put power to the ground in any way other than tubbing the rear end?)
(how would you figure out the steering rack issues other than fabbign something up that is more for drag use and not street friendly?)
(how would you fit an LS1 inside the engine bay? theyre so tiny!)
(what to do about the shifter being behind your seat?!)

but good luck!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lo_jack
I would probably just go for the MR configuration though, like an old porsche 914.
this type of setup has been done with DelSols and CRX's, by tube framing the rear of the car to accept a V6 or H22 from a Prelude, even an NSX powered CRX has been crafted.

the coolest CRX creation for me, was a early Gen CRX with TWO motors, so it was dual engined AWD and supposedly fast as hell on track. cool huh?

if any of you try this, best of luck, dont let me stop ya, I just see a few bug hurdles to jump before the things takes shape.
just use a big hammer and you'll be fine!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb Hmmmmmmmmmmm.................

How about a rear engine CRX? Tint the windows double limo black. Trans would be a early to mid 70's cadillac or oldmobile type trans axle. Those trans can take a fair amount of abuse. Check my earlier post on 5/13/06.
It's a big-blocl olds with the transaxle.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a CRX