Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX engine in a SY/TY

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LSX engine in a SY/TY

Hi, I have been reading about doing a syty swap on the syty message board and had a couple questions i figure could be answered easily here.

Which engine would be the best choice to boost on stock bottom end. i would build it up later but just to get it in, mocked up and running on low boost what engine would make the best base?

Are there any single turbo headers available for these engines?

I have an older FAST engine management system in my sy now, other than wiring, would i still be able to use it?

How hard is it to find the c5 accessory brackets? They seem to be the easiest to use in our trucks (first gen s10 4wd/awd) I am also not using any ac, so can the ac be skipped easliy with a smaller belt?

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited by Syclone354; 05-16-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep your engine you got
Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by krazy4
keep your engine you got

LOL. 4.3 v6 turbo. Or, lsX turbo... hmmm
Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Syclone354
lsX turbo
in that case
Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Are you selling the sy motor?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Hi, I have been reading about doing a syty swap on the syty message board and had a couple questions i figure could be answered easily here.

Which engine would be the best choice to boost on stock bottom end. i would build it up later but just to get it in, mocked up and running on low boost what engine would make the best base?
I'd say the 6.0L LQ4 is your best choice. Very good heads (basically LS6 with 76cc chambers), iron block (tougher than alum, also can be overbored), and probably the lowest compression stock (don't remember exactly, but its like 9.3:1). Make sure you get one with alum heads, which started in 2000 (or was it 2001?).
My personal take is the iron block is heavier, but substantially stronger than the alum block in boosted applications. Other opinions may vary, and you may not be willing to pay the 75 or 85lb weight penalty. Only you can answer that.
Are there any single turbo headers available for these engines?

I have an older FAST engine management system in my sy now, other than wiring, would i still be able to use it?
Can't answer either of those questions. Sorry.

How hard is it to find the c5 accessory brackets? They seem to be the easiest to use in our trucks (first gen s10 4wd/awd) I am also not using any ac, so can the ac be skipped easliy with a smaller belt?

Thanks for any replies!
C5 (and C6 for that matter) accessories aren't that hard to find, but aren't nearly as plentiful as F-body bracketry or the truck bracketry (which means its more $$$). Really, the only stuff that's truely specific is the PS pump, alternator, some of the tensioner parts and balancer (and the AC equipment which you said you're not using). You can find that stuff out there, which is what I did for my 99 Bravada.
For my swap:
I bought the complete PS pump & bracket for $150 shipped from a salvage yard.
Picked up a LS7 water pump (new takeoff) for $90 because its shorter than the LS1 pump
Bought a 145 amp truck alternator (for $55 from a salvage yard), only to find it doesn't fit (be warned!). Ended up making an adapter to make the alternator fit in the C5 bracket, because I really want the 145 amp output and the truck alternator is a BUNCH less money.
I scored a new takeoff LS6 balancer for $40.
AC runs its own belt, so you can just delete all the AC stuff and not affect anything.
I've also seen folks list the complete C5 accessory system, but most want a bunch of money (like $600 to $1200) and it wasn't all the parts and pieces I wanted.

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDSRacing
Are you selling the sy motor?
Yes. Im selling the engine thats in the truck now. I also have a bowtie iron block, bowtie aluminium heads, etc to build a stroker v6 engine but i am now selling all of those parts too.

C5 (and C6 for that matter) accessories aren't that hard to find, but aren't nearly as plentiful as F-body bracketry or the truck bracketry (which means its more $$$). Really, the only stuff that's truely specific is the PS pump, alternator, some of the tensioner parts and balancer (and the AC equipment which you said you're not using). You can find that stuff out there, which is what I did for my 99 Bravada.
For my swap:
I bought the complete PS pump & bracket for $150 shipped from a salvage yard.
Picked up a LS7 water pump (new takeoff) for $90 because its shorter than the LS1 pump
Bought a 145 amp truck alternator (for $55 from a salvage yard), only to find it doesn't fit (be warned!). Ended up making an adapter to make the alternator fit in the C5 bracket, because I really want the 145 amp output and the truck alternator is a BUNCH less money.
I scored a new takeoff LS6 balancer for $40.
AC runs its own belt, so you can just delete all the AC stuff and not affect anything.
I've also seen folks list the complete C5 accessory system, but most want a bunch of money (like $600 to $1200) and it wasn't all the parts and pieces I wanted.
I have a 180amp chrome alt that i want to fit up on the new setup if possible. if not, its for sale. I have also considered deleting the power steering, but i may go hydroboost so if it will fit down in there i will keep the c5 ps pump. sounds like my best bet is like you said get the lq9 i believe it was, bolt the c5 accessory bracket on, and go from there building turbo headers, etc...

How hard is this lq9 engine to find? what are the specifics? 6.0L? If the compression is around 9.3 - 9.5 to 1 that would be perfect for now. i also agree the iron block is stronger, boring ability is nice for the forged guts that will go in later. Also, what years had aluminum heads? Would i be able to user the stock intake & throttle body? Can you bolt the c5 or ls6 intake throttle body combo up on a lq9 engine?

TIA!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The LQ9 has higher compression and is a little harder to find than a LQ4. The LQ4 share the same block, (317) heads and crank. The LQ4 has lower compression dished pistons and I am not sure if the rods are the same.

I understand the accessory bracket must be changed from the truck brackets to run a LS1/6 intake as the TB sits lower on the LS1/6 manifold.

Depending on budget and power level you may want to look into running a single plane 4 barrel intake converted to injection.

I assume you are keeping the AWD?

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93Polo
The LQ9 has higher compression and is a little harder to find than a LQ4. The LQ4 share the same block, (317) heads and crank. The LQ4 has lower compression dished pistons and I am not sure if the rods are the same.

I understand the accessory bracket must be changed from the truck brackets to run a LS1/6 intake as the TB sits lower on the LS1/6 manifold.

Depending on budget and power level you may want to look into running a single plane 4 barrel intake converted to injection.

I assume you are keeping the AWD?

Good luck and keep us updated.
Good info. These are both 6.0 engines? Will the ls1/6 manifold bolt up? I think i will be able to route my intercooler pipe up to the front of the engine without much trouble so i dont think i will need the 4bbl setup.

I need to change to c5 brackets to clear the frame, but the throttle body info is good too!

I would basically like to get everything in and working, then build the bottom end so the compression, rods etc would not be a huge concern as later i would yank the motor to make the bottom end bullet proof.

Definitely staying awd. Ive upgraded to a 4l80e so i should be good on drive train parts for a while. I mainly want to keep the awd and the turbo, but to finish building my v6 stroker would cost almost as much as the "L" engine v8 swap. I personally dont care about if the truck is still v6, but a lot of syty people do. I want to do big horsepower down the road but be able to find parts easy and have some reliability. I could probably make the same power numbers with less strain on the system using the "L" engine. Plus it will be different. I know there are some guys already in the process of this swap, and a custom sheet metal oilpan and pickup are available now to up the "L" engine in a awd/4wd first gen s10 (what a syclone is based on) and also engine mount brackets are available too. So some of the most difficult parts are already figured out for me

Thanks guys for the great info, keep it coming please! !
Old 05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My freind bought a RX7 to do a swap with, what are you looking to get for the motor?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Good info. These are both 6.0 engines?
LQ4, LQ9, and LS2 are all 6.0L motors. LS2 is the '05 and up alum block, LQ4 & LQ9 are iron block truck motors. LQ9 is only available in selected applications (Escalade, Silverado SS) and therefore is tought to find / $$$. Also, the LQ9 is 10:1 compression, which is good for 345hp, but not so good for turbo. LQ4 is lower compression, rated for 300 to 330hp (depending upon year & model installed into).

Will the ls1/6 manifold bolt up? I think i will be able to route my intercooler pipe up to the front of the engine without much trouble so i dont think i will need the 4bbl setup.
Yes, LS1 & 6 intakes bolt up just fine. You may have issues mounting up the fuel rails / injectors.
I need to change to c5 brackets to clear the frame, but the throttle body info is good too!

I would basically like to get everything in and working, then build the bottom end so the compression, rods etc would not be a huge concern as later i would yank the motor to make the bottom end bullet proof.

Definitely staying awd. Ive upgraded to a 4l80e so i should be good on drive train parts for a while. I mainly want to keep the awd and the turbo, but to finish building my v6 stroker would cost almost as much as the "L" engine v8 swap. I personally dont care about if the truck is still v6, but a lot of syty people do. I want to do big horsepower down the road but be able to find parts easy and have some reliability. I could probably make the same power numbers with less strain on the system using the "L" engine. Plus it will be different. I know there are some guys already in the process of this swap, and a custom sheet metal oilpan and pickup are available now to up the "L" engine in a awd/4wd first gen s10 (what a syclone is based on) and also engine mount brackets are available too. So some of the most difficult parts are already figured out for me

Thanks guys for the great info, keep it coming please! !
The engine mounts from Turbotime are pretty decent, got a set for my 1999 Bravada swap. Ended up moving the motor forward 3/4", but that may just be my truck. I wasn't willing to shell out $500 for an oilpan, so I fabbed one up out of sheet steel. I've got $60 in materials in it, but also probably 10 hours, and its not done yet. HOWEVER, I know if fits in my chassis with the engine placement. Since my truck is a 2nd Gen, nobody knew if the oilpan (the one from Turbotime) would fit.

I'm assuming that you've checked out TyDriver's website (TurboLS6.com). He's putting an LSx motor into a typhoon, and is the test truck for the parts Turbotime is offering. There are a couple of other trucks on that site and lots of useful info.

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

So what model vehicles does the lq4 come in? What compression is that?

Yea ive looked at his website too. i will be keeping an eye on his progress...
Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the info as I know it.

LQ4 is 9.4:1 compression. HP rating varies from 300hp/360Tq to 330hp/370tq. Should run ok on 87 octane.
LQ9 is 10.0:1 compression. 345hp/380tq, premium recommended.

LQ4's are available in lots of vehicles. I think the alum heads started in '01. Look out for electronic throttle starting in I think '03 or '04.
2500 Silverados, Vans, Avalanches, & Suburbans & 3500 Silverados & Vans. I think the Van applications didn't start until '03. There are also the GMC versions of those products.

Check out Car-Part.com. Search around on there. Its not to difficult to see what engine was offered in what model.

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

So are the lq4 aluminum heads the same as the lq9 aluminum heads?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, LQ4's and LQ9's are basically identical. The LQ9 has a flat-top piston (vs a dished piston on the LQ4) and a heavier duty rod than the LQ4. Compression ratio bump and the tune are about the only difference. I think they use the same camshaft (not positive on that one, however).

LQ4's are typically alot less expensive. I picked up a 2004 LQ4 with 26,6xx miles on it for $1200, although $2000+ isn't all that uncommon. LQ9's have a premium.

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Cool, where did you get your engine? I just noticed your from Baltimore, im in Westminster only about 25 minutes from you probably...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Bought it from General Auto Recyling in Rhode Island and had it shipped to me.

I picked up the engine, 4L80E, and a few other pieces for $2250 plus $140 shipping. Most of the local yards (Maryland, VA, Southern PA) wanted way too much money. I got quotes for higher mileage motor / trans packages starting at about $3100. Couldn't justify the $900 difference.

I'm actually in Severna Park / Glen Burnie. I'm hoping to have the truck running by the end of the month, but its not looking good. Every time I look at the calendar, I remember 6 more things that are going on during the coming weekend that keep me away from the truck. This weekend I've got a wedding to go to, a graduation party for a Midshipmen family member, and my sister's graduation from UMCP. Yikes....

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

I know what you mean. seems like every weekend and evening are spoken for. Let me know when you get that thing running, ive heard the action in glen burnie is good so i might have to cruise the sy down there if its still put together
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

How quickly are you looking at swapping motors? If you're willing to wait a little bit, you might think seriously about the new L92 truck motor, 6.2L, LS7 style heads, etc. Problem is its not readily available yet in any form (complete, takeouts, parts, anything). HotRodV6 is going to swap an L92 into his truck (either a Sy or Ty, can't remember which) you might chat with him about the L92. The advantage of the L92 is the heads flow better (I don't think its up to LS7 specs, but pretty good and a bunch less $$$ than the LS7), and the 6.2L block has a bigger bore (4.065" I think) than the LQ4.

Just something else to contemplate, if you're not in a hurry and don't mind piecing a motor together (and maybe spending a bit more money).

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

yea that sounds pretty sweet too. wonder how long till they become available. thats always the problem though, if you wait a little longer something better will be out. Im not ready to start this project just yet, but hope to have most of the parts in the garage and ready by fall of this year...

Quick Reply: LSX engine in a SY/TY