Old 05-20-2006 | 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xtreme402
its got modified zr2 fender flares stretched and molding into the xtreme kit
wat the ****??
Old 05-20-2006 | 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastlt1
The Sy Ty don't run the 4wd S10 gear but the AWD Bravada Astro gear. Single speed transfer case and non disconnect front diff.

I'd say forget AWD.
1. It is heavier.
2. Lower on top end.
3. Never saw a AWD drag the rear bumped on launch.
You can disconnect the front driveshaft though to make it rear wheel only. Also, until you have felt an AWD Sy/Ty lurch forward off the line, you just won't know the difference it makes at the front of a race. Seeing the car in the other lane being left behind is a rush....but I'm sure seeing nothing but sky is also!
Old 05-22-2006 | 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

'just dreamin' back on the transfer case could you not get input shaft modified or swapped to a 32 spline? instread of having to go through the 4l80e
From what I know about the BW4472, there isn't any good way to change the input spline configuration. That pretty much leaves it locked at 27 spline.

Now, for my truck, where I'm running the NV 136 (which is 27 spline input) I had a custom tcase built that uses the NV246 parts (32 spline input). Solved the problem without having the transmission apart. But cost me $1k for the tcase.

Changing the rear output shaft on the 80E isn't that big a deal if you're already going to have somebody freshen up the trans (fresh clutches, steels, 34 element sprag if it doesn't have it already, etc) or build you one. If you're planning on running a stock takeout (like mine) then you're kinda stuck taking the trans apart to change it.

I'm not sure what the modified shaft costs, but it is available from a couple of sources.

The NV149 tcase (as used in the Silverado SS) is also 27 spline input. I know there is an adapter (for use with the 80E 27spline output shaft) but haven't heard of any way to swap the tcase input shaft (and some of those guys have gotten tired of blowing up 4L65E's and started swapping to 80's).

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-22-2006 | 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input im really thinking about starting this thing soon. i just recently wrecked my dd so when i get the insurance sorted out i get back on my xtreme project
Old 06-22-2006 | 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Here in the next few days I will be going to get my donor car for my front and rear diffs and my tcase. What I have run into now is my tranny what years can I use to bolt up to an LSX engine. I posted the same question in the auto tranny forum and just didnt get much feedback. If there is any way that I can use a mid 90's it would be very helpful. They are much cheaper and more easily found so far. Since I need to swap the output shaft and will freshen up the whole thing it would be easier for me to spend 400-500 on an old tranny and have it rebuilt to my specs than to buy a fairly new one for 1000+ and have it rebuilt to my specs.
Old 06-22-2006 | 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

What model trans are you talking about? TH350, TH400, 700R4 / 4L60E, 4L80E? Powerglide?

If you're talking about the 4L80E, get as late a trans as you possibly can. At a minimum, I'd suggest 1999 and newer. GM has made a bunch of very significant revisions (gearset changes, complete lube system redesign) in an effort to make the trans last longer.

If you're serious about this, check out SyTy.net & track down George Blake (there are a couple other builders there too that can help). He can build you what you're looking for, complete with the correct output shaft and adapter.

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-22-2006 | 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think AWD would be cool but NOT worth the time and copious amounts of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-22-2006 | 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Just Dreamin thanks again I have been over at the sy/ty forum quite a bit lately, and been trailing alot of your posts coincidently. It was the 4L80e I was talking about, I've posted about it so much today in four different forums I just forgot to list it.
Old 06-23-2006 | 01:14 AM
Teching In

i was wanting to go coilovers in the front, what about rack and pinion steering? what is your take on that?

Here ya go:
rack and pinion

oh and coil over kits check out
www.spohn.net
parts
Air Ride.
.219 DOM
The cool ride arms dont work, they have to be Shockwave arms.
They are $329

I dont know info on them

Spohn Performance
1.25" x .120" wall seamless DOM tubing
Ball joint cups are CNC machined from 2.75" o.d. x .375" wall seamless mechanical tubing
CNC cut and formed 7 gauge coil over mounting platform
Moog "Problem Solver" greasable ball joints (installed)
Fluted and greasable polyurethane bushings (custom designed by Spohn)
Formed .125" sway bar end link mounts
Durable and brilliant powder coated finish
Fully assembled and ready to install
STRONGER, yet LIGHTER than stock!

Chromoly arms they make
1.25" x .095" 4130N chrome moly tubing

Price:
For poly, and DOM they are $395
For Chromoly, Delrin bushings they are $575
They aslo have rod end ones too.

Quartertech Talked to them last night.
4130 Chrome Moly TIG welded
Tie bar lower mount style for QA 1 or coil over 1/2" bearing style available
Delrin premium bushings
Moog ball joints
Price
Complete Set tubular upper & lower control arms,
complete with Delrin bushings & ball joints
$950.00

Quatertech truck:

Old 06-23-2006 | 08:47 AM
Teching In

I have done a lot of research on this topic for a similar project and have a few links for you.
I noticed you said you have been on syst.net, it a great site and you may have already found some of the following.

It was mentioned above "that you could make the truck rwd by removing the front prop-shaft", this is not possible on an awd transfer case because it is a viscous coupler inside the transfer case that uses a silicone based fluid that when the front and rear axle spin at different speeds it heats up and locks the transfer case clutches together. If you remove the front prop-shaft you will burn up the fluid and have to rebuild if not replace your transfer case. A 4x4 transfer case is a gear driven case and it does not affect it to have one side disconnected.

The front differential on the awd and the 4x4 is slightly different. They differ in the 4x4 has a different axle tube and shaft on the passenger side of the diff allowing it to be disconnected from the locked position for street use. YOu are able to get a 4x4 front differential and put the awd passanger axle tube on it. I have seen several people do this to change their gear.

This link list some quick stuff for a conversion on a 1st gen.
http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto.../buildty.html#

This explains the viscous coupler in the awd transfer case
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential9.htm

This talks more about the transfer case on a Silverado SS (NVG 149) but is the same design as the bw4472. This is the case I am using. It holds more power.
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...13084&hl=donut

This shows LPE's awd LSx truck.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83863/

This is a good cross reference page to find what vehicle had the correct awd transfer case.
http://www.universalmanf.com/transfer%20case%202002.pdf#search='149gm%20transfe r%20case'

This shows a LS6 conversion into a typhoon with a similar setup to what you are wanting.
http://www.turbols6.com/

This site has several parts you might need. Tubular control arms and coil over conversion also.
http://www.turbotime.us/

I have a lot more links. Hope these help. If you have any questions let me know.

Robert
Old 06-23-2006 | 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

I wasnt for sure about taking the front shaft out and driving without it. I had heard it both ways and just havent asked it yet. I went ovet to spohn's website and only found suspension upgrades for 2wd upfront. Will the a-arms interchange? I will call Summit about the rack and pinion to see if it will. I think I will end up with the rack and pinion to due the small amount of room you gain. I need all I can get. Again thanks for all the help.Keep it coming please.
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

That rack is non power I was interested untill then, my truck is a daily. You can also get all kinds of tubular front end stuff from Global West (what I'm gonna do) their stuff is top quality but it'll cost you some money. On the 2WD front end remember it is a G-body set up only the lower control arm bushings are different they have S-10 specific lower arms. They have different set ups drag only and some street stuff also something that is practicaly race only.
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I wasnt for sure about taking the front shaft out and driving without it. I had heard it both ways and just havent asked it yet. I went ovet to spohn's website and only found suspension upgrades for 2wd upfront. Will the a-arms interchange? I will call Summit about the rack and pinion to see if it will. I think I will end up with the rack and pinion to due the small amount of room you gain. I need all I can get. Again thanks for all the help.Keep it coming please.
2wd and 4wd parts don't interchange. Completely different stuff.

2wd is coil springs, 4wd uses torsion bars. Because of this, the front half of the frame is different. Crossmember is in a different place (because the front axle is in about the same spot as the 2wd crossmember) and the frame has all the mounts to mount the front diff.

There are a couple of kits available to do 4wd coilover conversions. RPM or JS Manufacturing are the only ones I know of that are any good. Again, check SyTy....

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: AWD 2000 Xtreme