Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket

These are a cuple of pics of my prototype A/C compressor mount. It mounts a 96 V6 camaro A/C compressor high on the passenger side. I will post more pics and dimensions after I make it out of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-ac-mockup2.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-ac-mockup3.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-ac-mockup5.jpg  
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good... Cant wait to see it all done so i could buy one from you
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Teching In

yeah I want to buy one also the aluminum version so it matches the rest of my LS engine, my wood engine will have to wait
Old 06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...there's no reason some bracketry and pulleys should run $500+ I'll be keeping an eye on these.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
These are a cuple of pics of my prototype A/C compressor mount. It mounts a 96 V6 camaro A/C compressor high on the passenger side. I will post more pics and dimensions after I make it out of aluminum.
I built an altenator bracket for my SBC Nova using the same method. After a few trys making it out of plywood, I had one that worked perfectly. It was then just a matter of duplicating it in 1/2" aluminum. The chunk of aluminum cast me less than $40.00 and a few hours cutting and polishing it.
I'm pretty damn proud of that little bracket
Ken
Old 06-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Yeah there was no way I was paying $500 for an A/C bracket that I could make myself. Plus I have not seen relocation brackets for the truck motors, just the vett/f-body accy drives. I figured I would post pics here and dimensions when I finnish it in case someone else needs something similar for their conversion. Now if only I had some aluminum plate , looks like I should get it next week.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 PM

Well no aluminum yet, I have been sidetracked with other projects (had to replace the rack and pinion in my moms car). But I did do a second design of the bracket, in the first one I was not able to run the pulley on the factory tensioner if I had the belt for A/C on. The second design is spaced a little differently and solves this problem. But of course I was looking at it after I finnished and decided that I could alter the shape slightly and make it stronger so I guess I will be making another one out of wood before cutting aluminum. Heres a couple pics of the current design though.
Attached Thumbnails Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-compressor-bracket-design2-pic3.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-compressor-bracket-design2-front.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-compressor-bracket-design2-back.jpg  
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Default r4??

have you thought of using a r4 comp I'm working on a mount for mine ..
the r4 is larger dia but much shorter and will fit in front of the head..
just food for thought...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 PM

A R4 compressor was my first thought since it was what my car came with, but I decided not to use one since I have had to rebuild more than a few, and everyone I talk to in the A/C industry says that they are not known for their durability. Plus I wanted to be able to keep my EGR valve since I have emissions tests here in illinois and it may slightly help my fuel mileage.

If you want to use the R4 compressor I would look at the way 5.3 Racer mounted his, he used a GM bracket.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 PM

Here is the thread with 5.3`s setup, theres a pic on the bottom of the first page and a explanation at the top of the second.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=camino
Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Well I finally got around to getting the aluminum cut out, drilled and tapped. I measured for the belt with string, but there was too much stretch in the string and the belt I bought was too short. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to pick up the right one. Heres a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-front-ac-bracket.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-rear-ac-bracket.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-complete-ac-bracket.jpg   Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-acbracketandcompressor.jpg  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I dont want to steal your thread but got a question. A few of us have the stock camaro LS1 compressor. If we want to make something smilar to this, can we change the head unit/pulley on the compressor to the large belt type to run on the engine belt?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM

You might be able to, but I don`t know what kind of clutch pulley would fit on the LS1 compressor. You would have to use an A/C clutch pulley puller to remove your pulley and then go to self service junkyard and measure 6 rib serpentine A/C compressor pulleys. The LS1 compressor will also be more difficult to make a mount for since its bolt flange runs perpendicular to the belt/cylinderhead face, so you cannot use flat plate like I used. You would need to use angle aluminum, its not that it can`t be done, it is just more difficult. That is why I used a compressor from a V6 camaro, after looking at it I think it is the same compressor that was used on LT1 motors.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question

Digging up an old thread....

How did this workout?

I am looking for a high mount A/C compressor bracket(s) using the truck accessories (alt, crank pulley, no PS).

I like Kwik's, but I am limited with width clearances due to my strut tower.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket-dsc00133.jpg  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

I am interested in a AC mount too. But I don't want too much aluminum in my engine compartment. Would you be willing to sell me the wooden piece? It should last almost as well.

thanks,
Jim
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Digging up an old thread....

How did this workout?
Thanks!!
I ended up abandoning it and notching the frame. It seemed like it was going to work well and felt plenty strong, but I could not find a belt that was the correct length as I didn`t really have a lot of room to move the comp closer/further from the motor. IIRC when I went for a belt I found out that when the belts get that long there happened to be a 3 0r 4 inch difference in length between the 2 closest sizes.....and I needed something right in between

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I am interested in a AC mount too. But I don't want too much aluminum in my engine compartment. Would you be willing to sell me the wooden piece? It should last almost as well.

thanks,
Jim
If I had any idea where that piece of wood went I would send it to you just to see it being run. I don`t think it would be nearly strong enough though. IIRC it was half inch plywood and would flex all over the place with just the weight of the compressor sitting on it for mockup.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's mine for a sanden compressor, I can send a template.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Here is another version:
Old 08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

PM Sent. The Brackets look awesome.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a link to the build thread. I'll look for the template on monday.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rive-done.html
Originally Posted by Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
PM Sent. The Brackets look awesome.

Quick Reply: Truck High mount A/C compressor bracket