Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pleae Help an Old F*rt... SBC, LT1, LS1... WHICH ONE?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help an Old F*rt... SBC, LT1, LS1... WHICH ONE?!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed. I realize other websites offer detailed information for Z-car customization... BUT... I need SBC/LT1/LS1 help... PLEASE.

I'm want to either switch out a 350 SBC for a higher performance engine... or modify this one for better street/strip performance. I'm an old f*rt with outdated skills (if you can call them that) and I need some help deciding WHAT TO DO!!

THE CAR: 1974 Datsun 260Z that's been re-bodied as a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO (an Alpha 1 kit car). It weighs approximately 2600 pounds with the current all cast iron 350 SBC and no underhood A/C components. It has the beefier R200 differential housing and will son have a Quaife torque biasing differential installed. It will have 17x7 wheels on the front and 17x9 on the rear... with sticky wide treads. I'll be adding adjustable suspension soon. The front disc brakes will be upgraded with larger discs and 4-piston calipers. The rear "may" be upgraded to discs as well.

GOALS: I want to maintain or decrease the vehicle curb weight while adding more HP and torque through a broader RPM range. I also want to add a very good A/C. A very cool early 60's Ferrari-esque look is a must... the original Ferrari had a V12 with 6 dual webers for a dedicated bbl for each cylinder. This car absolutely MUST haul A$$. It would be great to run the quarter mile in the 11 second range and have a top speed of around 150... yeah baby!!! Lastly, since this is a daily driver, it must be very streetable, get semi-reasonable fuel economy (AT LEAST 15 mpg), and it cannot overheat in traffic.

INDUCTION: Carbs or EFI are okay, but the top-end MUST look semi-appropriate for the car... no modern big-A$$ single-throated throttle body poking forward. A system similar to the one at Vintage Speed here is okay... http://www.vintagespeed.com/ (do a search for "vintage look")... it's expensive though. Triple deuces would be good too. Four dual Webers are the closest to an authentic Ferrari look, but they're expensive and hard to set up. The ultimate would be EFI with individual throttle bodies on a short intake and with short velocity stacks... but this is pricey too.

NOTE: : If you get the feeling I'm worried about overall cost, I am. I have a lot to do to this car and I really must keep engine costs below $5K... well below, if possible.

SHORT BLOCK: I can either...
1. rebuild the top end of the current 350 w/ better aluminum heads, roller cam/lifters, intake/carbs, SS headers/X-pipe... tuned for street/strip
2. all of the above, plus convert to a 383 stroker... will gain some torque, but may lose a little top RPM
3. replace with a well-built LT1 or an LS1 -- WHICH ONE?!

PLEASE HELP: I'm an old school guy with no modern engine knowledge!! My last "fun car" was an old Firebird with a 400 c.i. Ram Air, which I had back in the early 70's. Da*m... I still miss that car... Anyway, I've been away from performance cars for over 30 years and my knowledge is WAY OUTDATED!! Too, I'll have to pay someone else to do the work... I just can't do it anymore. Again, I do need to keep costs down.

Last edited by Mike1234; 06-08-2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS1 would be the best bet if you were looking to lose weight. HOWEVER, it would be most difficult to adapt to individual throttle bodies. (as opposed to a six-pack induction on a SBC). The problem is, the ITB setups are usually very expensive. An LS1 intake manifold backwards with some fancy ducting, or maybe a polished aluminum one would look good. I think it'd be better to modify your SBC as opposed to getting a LT1, though, unless you've got your heart set on fuel injection. (same weight as aluminum headed SBC, not much more power).. A stock LS1 would meet or exceed all your requirements as far as top speed (it'd prob do more than 150, geared right) acceleration (11's are easy for a stock LS1 in a lightweight car), and MPG (it'll prob get close to 20 around town, ~30 freeway depending again on gearing and transmission selection, AND a stock one is dead reliable ~315 +- rwhp. Problem with the LS1 is cost, with an installed drivetrain probably costing more than then $5k you're looking for, especially with an ITB setup. If it was me, and you wanted something easy, (meaning, not having to change motor mounts or using transmission adapters,) i'd get a six-pack intake for your SBC and a good sized cam.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a link of what I was thinking of. You'd then run three, two-barrel carbs linked together. You then could use some velocity stack style air cleaners on them for the look you want.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to use an LS1, there is a carb intake offered for them, you could then use this and have the dual carbs with v stacks
FWIW an ls1 will meet your goals without too much trouble (a stock 3500lb f body will do 162mph top speed, and the 1/4 in mid to low 13s) a 2600 lb 260Z should be alot faster even with a stock engine. As for keeping the costs down, I hate to say it, but speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
And having someone else do the work, especially custom stuff like this is going to be big $$$$$ unless you have an inside contact who owes you.
Just wondering is there a physical reason you can't DIY, or is it you think you're too old (btw I'm 42 and still wrenching on my own stuff)
Good luck with your project, post some pics, I'd like to see it
Old 06-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default One old Fart to another

I've tried to keep abreast of the performance scene despite raising a family, so I'll give you my best shot and some so-so advice.
Probably the cheapest way to go is some good aftermarket aluminum heads and a modern cam (hydraulic roller if you can swing it). For the induction the six-pac or three duece is one way to go, but it can get expensive too if you buy a quality setup. Price a few of them out very carefully and compare them to some of the IR (Individual Runner) injection units such as Hilborn, Enderle, and Crower. These are mechanical injection units that have been converted or updated to electonic fuel injection. They just may be worth the premium over the six-pac.
I've developed a lot of respect for the GEN III engine family and would say that stretching the budget to install one would be worth the trouble. You have more than just LS1s to choose from. There are the newer LS2s, and a few truck engines to choose from (4.8, 5.3, 6.0) although they have iron blocks with the exception of the L33 5.3 which is all aluminum. Starting for the '08 model year, most truck engines will be all aluminum. As for induction, check out this web site http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder..._standard.html
Yes they are pricey, but keep in mind that the Australian dollar isn't worth quite as much as the US dollar.
Good luck.
Ken
Old 06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Default I'm beginning to wonder if this is a "coin toss" :^)

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
LS1 would be the best bet if you were looking to lose weight. HOWEVER, it would be most difficult to adapt to individual throttle bodies. (as opposed to a six-pack induction on a SBC). The problem is, the ITB setups are usually very expensive. An LS1 intake manifold backwards with some fancy ducting, or maybe a polished aluminum one would look good. I think it'd be better to modify your SBC as opposed to getting a LT1, though, unless you've got your heart set on fuel injection. (same weight as aluminum headed SBC, not much more power).. A stock LS1 would meet or exceed all your requirements as far as top speed (it'd prob do more than 150, geared right) acceleration (11's are easy for a stock LS1 in a lightweight car), and MPG (it'll prob get close to 20 around town, ~30 freeway depending again on gearing and transmission selection, AND a stock one is dead reliable ~315 +- rwhp. Problem with the LS1 is cost, with an installed drivetrain probably costing more than then $5k you're looking for, especially with an ITB setup. If it was me, and you wanted something easy, (meaning, not having to change motor mounts or using transmission adapters,) i'd get a six-pack intake for your SBC and a good sized cam.
All good info. Thanks!! I've been asking around the forums and there is truly a mixed bag of responses. Like all seem to be saying, it all depends on how much I want to spend. I expected this though.

I'm teetering back and forth about this and I guess I just need to keep asking for help and reading. I don't want to jump into a given solution only to regret my decision later. What I do want is a really cool vintage-looking engine that will kick the cr*p out of nearly every street machine I run across :^)
Old 06-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Default Tri-Power Setups are a Good Compromise... and Easy

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
here's a link of what I was thinking of. You'd then run three, two-barrel carbs linked together. You then could use some velocity stack style air cleaners on them for the look you want.
Yes indeed... this one is a very good deal. With the right carbs and tuning, it will certainly perform well and it will give very decent fuel economy too. The tri-power setups are much less expensive than the quad dual webers... or EFI's with individual throttle bodies. They're much easier to set up also. I just really WANT a truly exotic system. What I can AFFORD is another story. A tri-power is a good compromise and is likely what I'll end up with.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Default Plenty Fast...

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
If you want to use an LS1, there is a carb intake offered for them, you could then use this and have the dual carbs with v stacks
FWIW an ls1 will meet your goals without too much trouble (a stock 3500lb f body will do 162mph top speed, and the 1/4 in mid to low 13s) a 2600 lb 260Z should be alot faster even with a stock engine. As for keeping the costs down, I hate to say it, but speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
And having someone else do the work, especially custom stuff like this is going to be big $$$$$ unless you have an inside contact who owes you.
Just wondering is there a physical reason you can't DIY, or is it you think you're too old (btw I'm 42 and still wrenching on my own stuff)
Good luck with your project, post some pics, I'd like to see it
In a 2600 pound car, this would be plenty of power... for me anyway. Assuming all else is equal, a 2600 pound car should lose a couple seconds from a quarter mile ET and gain 30 MPH top end, right? So... all else equal, this engine should propel a 2600 pound car through the quarter in the 11 second range and have a top speed of over 180?

I realize speed costs... "beat-the-clock and break-the-bank", eh? I'm not looking to hit the moon... just orbit the earth a bit :^)

I can't do much physical labor anymore because I became ill a few years ago. I don't plan on croaking any time soon, mind you!!! But they can't figure out what's wrong, so I'm just limited on what I can do... for now anyway :^) At one time, there was no one I ever met who could keep up with me. It's not that I was the toughest guy around... I certainly was not. I just was fast at everything... and everyone was best off clearing a path if I was headed their way. It's been terribly frustrating having to slow down like this and not being able to do any hard physical work. It's doubly frustrating because I'm extremely picky and few mechanics do the quality of work I would expect from myself, let alone from someone I'm paying to do the work. Oh well... maybe I'm being taught a lesson?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am concerned that your performance goals(Performance, drivability and economy) within your $5k budget are not realistic. I'm kind of an old fart too (56) and have reconized the potential of the modern EFI motors. I put one in my 50+ year old car. If you could up your budget just a bit, and if the performance is more important to you than the looks, I would go with an LS1 based motor, you will get your acceleration, top speed, economy and drivability including not over heating. Then if you just had to have that vintage appearance, build a motor cover that looks like mulitple stacks to hide that big throttle body you don't like. That way you have the looks and the performance and don't have the headache of tuning multiple carbs.

Pat
Old 06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Default My Greek name is Gasseous Flatulous

Originally Posted by Kenova
I've tried to keep abreast of the performance scene despite raising a family, so I'll give you my best shot and some so-so advice.
Probably the cheapest way to go is some good aftermarket aluminum heads and a modern cam (hydraulic roller if you can swing it). For the induction the six-pac or three duece is one way to go, but it can get expensive too if you buy a quality setup. Price a few of them out very carefully and compare them to some of the IR (Individual Runner) injection units such as Hilborn, Enderle, and Crower. These are mechanical injection units that have been converted or updated to electonic fuel injection. They just may be worth the premium over the six-pac.
I've developed a lot of respect for the GEN III engine family and would say that stretching the budget to install one would be worth the trouble. You have more than just LS1s to choose from. There are the newer LS2s, and a few truck engines to choose from (4.8, 5.3, 6.0) although they have iron blocks with the exception of the L33 5.3 which is all aluminum. Starting for the '08 model year, most truck engines will be all aluminum. As for induction, check out this web site http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder..._standard.html
Yes they are pricey, but keep in mind that the Australian dollar isn't worth quite as much as the US dollar.
Good luck.
Ken
Hello fellow old guy. Thanks for the info. The more I investigate this the more confused my feeble mind becomes and I feel like I'm which makes me want to and now I'm feeling a bit

Sorry... just discovered how to use the GIFs I hope I didn't put anyone to or make them at me.

I've been considering exactly what you've suggested for the SBC... along with better SS headers and X-pipe... all tuned for street/strip. If I leave the short bock alone, I can accomplish these mods for approximately $3K, which is well within my budget. I'll look for the EFI's you listed. If affordable, along with the other mods, this could be the road I need to take. I'll check out the Aussie site as well.

An all aluminum engine would be great because it'll shave ?what? at least 200 pounds from the curb weight... all off the front? That's great!! A really well-balanced 2400 pound car with 450 RWHP would be awesome!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
I am concerned that your performance goals(Performance, drivability and economy) within your $5k budget are not realistic. I'm kind of an old fart too (56) and have reconized the potential of the modern EFI motors. I put one in my 50+ year old car. If you could up your budget just a bit, and if the performance is more important to you than the looks, I would go with an LS1 based motor, you will get your acceleration, top speed, economy and drivability including not over heating. Then if you just had to have that vintage appearance, build a motor cover that looks like mulitple stacks to hide that big throttle body you don't like. That way you have the looks and the performance and don't have the headache of tuning multiple carbs.

Pat

Hmm... a fake cover. Does anyone make these... or is this a completely custom deal? I suppose I could buy the short velocity stacks and make a base for them with spare parts from some old carbs. It would sort of bother me though... knowing it's fake. Too, I'm afraid it would affect resale value... maybe not? It's something to consider though... opens another door
Old 06-04-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

If you do the cover, you'll still have the big TB in the front, unless you extend the cover past the TB (that would look really weird IMO)
I understand about wanting a particular look, but FWIW I really think it won't matter, it's a "kit" car and certain substitutions are allowed, it's not like you're trying to put an ls1/sbc in a ferrari daytona
A sbc will likely be cheaper to build, they're a dime a dozen, but it won't have the WOW cool factor an ls1 would, conversly, an ls1 will be more expensive to buy and mod, but it seems as if you get more motor for your money with an ls1
IMO get a stock ls1 and trans (a4 or m6) a pcm, go to speartech for wiring, put it in and add a 100 shot of nitrous, you'll have a 400 hp (on the gas) motor for your 2600 lb 260Z
You get stock reliability, 20 (or more) MPG, A/C and no overheating in traffic/cruise night/highway driving, and when you hit the nitrous.................................... look out
You might want to consider buying a complete (wrecked) ls1 vehicle then you have all the parts (brackets, wires, blah blah blah) you can also use whatever else from the car you wish to use, and part out the rest, and if not make money, at least breaking even, so you end up with an ls1 and trans for, in effect, free
Start horse trading, and networking
Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Mike,

Once you drive a even a stocl LS1/T56 combination ina lightweight car, your desires for "vintage" looks may become secondary. I have an rx7 with an ls1 and t56 and it weighs 2900 pounds.

If it was my project, I would do the swap and keep the hood closed at events. LOL

Andrew
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Default Putting my info together...

OKAY... TO SUM THIS UP... SO FAR: This is gathered from another forum too...

I probably shouldn't bother exchanging complete engines UNLESS I skip to an LSx, right? Used or rebuilt LS1's have become common and are very affordable, right? It's easy to coax 450-500 HP from an LS1 with a mild performance roller cam, LS6 heads, LS6 induction system, a good exhaust, and re-tuning, right? High performance aftermarket induction systems with better than LS6 performance... and with the exotic look I want are available but pricey, right? An LS1 is all aluminum and therefore weighs a couple hundred pounds less than an all iron 350 SBC, right? If I opt to keep the old 350, just add better aluminum heads, healthier cam (but streetable with auto trans and stock converter), nice SS headers, performance induction system... all tuned for my preferences... and will easily make 400+ HP, right?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Default I agree about the cover...

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
If you do the cover, you'll still have the big TB in the front, unless you extend the cover past the TB (that would look really weird IMO)
I understand about wanting a particular look, but FWIW I really think it won't matter, it's a "kit" car and certain substitutions are allowed, it's not like you're trying to put an ls1/sbc in a ferrari daytona
A sbc will likely be cheaper to build, they're a dime a dozen, but it won't have the WOW cool factor an ls1 would, conversly, an ls1 will be more expensive to buy and mod, but it seems as if you get more motor for your money with an ls1
IMO get a stock ls1 and trans (a4 or m6) a pcm, go to speartech for wiring, put it in and add a 100 shot of nitrous, you'll have a 400 hp (on the gas) motor for your 2600 lb 260Z
You get stock reliability, 20 (or more) MPG, A/C and no overheating in traffic/cruise night/highway driving, and when you hit the nitrous.................................... look out
You might want to consider buying a complete (wrecked) ls1 vehicle then you have all the parts (brackets, wires, blah blah blah) you can also use whatever else from the car you wish to use, and part out the rest, and if not make money, at least breaking even, so you end up with an ls1 and trans for, in effect, free
Start horse trading, and networking
I think you're right about the cover not looking correct. My thanks to who offered this solution though... it was a good idea... just not quite what I'm looking for.

I want the look of an older exotic intake for two reasons: (1) it will increase the resale value of the car... the same reason I'm looking for replica Barroni wire wheels, and (2) because I want it... same for the wire wheels.

An LS1 is worth an extra few hundred dollars to me for several reasons, such as resale value, a lighter front end for better F/R balance, and I've always wanted an all aluminum engine.

Nitrous is a good, simple, inexpensive solution for on-demand power and it's safe for the engine if it's conservatively and properly done. The only problem with it is refill costs. Won't a SC or twin turbos cost less over time? Maybe there are hidden costs in the turbos or SC I don't know about, such as regular servicing, repair, or replacement due to wear? Maybe a tamer engine with nitrous costs less to operate over time due to icreased fuel economy? I realize you just said this... but will a mid-performance cam really cut my fuel economy that much... 5 MPG or so?

If I do buy a wrecked car for the parts, I probably won't part it out... at least not the inexpensive parts. I just don't have the time these days. Too, if removal requires much labor, my body just won't handle it well.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Default Because I'm spoiled rotten and I WANT an exotic induction system

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Mike,

Once you drive a even a stocl LS1/T56 combination ina lightweight car, your desires for "vintage" looks may become secondary. I have an rx7 with an ls1 and t56 and it weighs 2900 pounds.

If it was my project, I would do the swap and keep the hood closed at events. LOL

Andrew
You're funny but I still want the exotic looks because I'm a spoiled rotten brat and I WANT IT
Old 06-07-2006, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club

i've got sort of a mix of what you're looking for, but probably more than you're looking to spend i'm guessing........a pro built 427 "sbc", with a solid "roller" cam, and an Accel Gen7 DFI "fuel injection" setup i'm selling. pm me if you're interested. plenty of pics, and i have a running ad in the f.s. section. search word..."pump gas".

thanks,
Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mike,

Just for clarification the LS1 is only about 100 pounds lighter than the SBC, less than that if the SBC has aluminum heads. And if you use the LS1 Transmissions, they are likely heavier than basic Chevy 4 speeds or T350. So while there may be some weight savings it is not the 200 pounds you were thinking.

Keep us posted and show us some pictures!

Pat
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building up a GEN I motor will very likely cost a lot less than anything LS1. Gen I performance stuff is cheap. I'll probably get flamed on this LS1 board, but everything for an LS1 is 2-3 times the cost as compared to GEN I. From little bits and pieces to major components. Check camshaft prices if you want an example. Also, if you're not inclined to build you own, engine builders with GEN I experience far outwieght those with LSx experience. My vote, in your particular case: GEN I.

Also an old fart club member.

Andy1
Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Mike....

I think with your budget constraints, you probably can forget about swapping in an LSx series motor. And an LSx series motor doesn't really get you to the high tech look you were looking for anyway.

I'd suggest spending your budget going through the SBC you've got already. Invest in a good set of Vortec style heads (preferrably aftermarket alum jobs). There are a couple of manufacturers out there making great heads for reasonable money.

I just saw some of the Barry Grant SixShooter tripower setups, and I thought they look pretty trick. Check here: http://www.barrygrant.com/tripled/default.aspx?page=2 for some pics/info. Don't have any clue as to $$$.

Lastly, whatever you choose for induction system & heads, make sure that you choose a camshaft that complements the hardware & your driving style.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Pleae Help an Old F*rt... SBC, LT1, LS1... WHICH ONE?!