Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Trans am LS1-turbo set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Trans am LS1-turbo set up?

I also posted this in the Pontiac forums, sorry if you take it as spam I just dont know where to post it.

My friend has a 78 trans am with an LS1 engine he put in.

My question is how do we go about putting a turbo set up in this car? would it have to be a complete custom kit?

Any info you can add about this subject please do!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You found the right area, between here and the forced induction forum you should find out the info you need. As far as putting a turbo on the car....well most setups are custom. What style turbo setup did he want? I remember reading somewhere that a company was building LS1 69 camaros and they had the option of an STS rear mount turbo system, they just massaged the pipes to fit the car. If he was looking to mount it near the engine then it most likely would be a custom type of thing. There are a few companies that offer preassembeled turbo kits for 4th gen LS1 f-bodies but who knows if the same kit would fit in a 2nd gen engine compartment, I can`t say I remember hearing about anyone trying it yet. The only way to tell would be to find someone with that kit in their 4th gen and park the cars next to eachother and start measuring. I do not think anyone markets a bolt together kit for cars that have had a LS1 conversion, I can`t even begin to think of how many different part numbers they would need to make for all the different cars,boats, and planes that people put LSx`s into .
Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zoxygen
I also posted this in the Pontiac forums, sorry if you take it as spam I just dont know where to post it.

My friend has a 78 trans am with an LS1 engine he put in.

My question is how do we go about putting a turbo set up in this car? would it have to be a complete custom kit?

Any info you can add about this subject please do!
Just out of curiousity, which Pontiac forums did you post in (do you mean this one here - the Firebird Forum) or other msg boards? Just curious because I am dying to do a LSx conversion into an 81 TA. I would LOVE to make a "real" 1981 Turbo Trans Am with a decent motor instead of that 301 cid POS.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ill be doing the same thing later this year after my '04 Z06 LS2 403 project is done. '79 Z28 reussing my old LS6 block, .010 over bore 4" crank, forged internals, low compression, LS6 heads ported, all off the shelf parts on a budget. Hopefully ill get started on it all later this year. I thought about going with a custom single turbo T76 Or T88 thinking that would be alot more simple than a twin set up. a buddy of mine makes his own turbo manifolds for honda's and acura's. He quoted me $2500 for manifold, down pipe, piping to the intercooler and up to the tb. i have to drop the car off once done and leave it there for about a month. if i am able to do it this year, ill have the manifold & piping duplicated so i can resell it to other's that are interested in doing the same thing. Im buying the car for $1500 as a rolling chasis w/350 tranny, 8.5 rear end alreay built, from my best friend. he is keeping the 406 that is in it. body is mint, interior is too, no rust. its been sitting for 4 years and he doesnt have the money to do anything with it. i would be interested to see all of your projects done before mine is so i know where to get started.

Quick Reply: 78 Trans am LS1-turbo set up?