Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need direction

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need direction

Ive seen the recent uprising of LSx powered fox bodied stangs. I find myself wanting a fox body more and more. I've found a few in the area. one is a 4cyl/5sp LX without an engine/tranny that I can pick up for a couple hundred dollars. obviously I am looking at swapping an LS1 into it but I then remembered that my dad has two ford 460s sitting out back. one is a 365hp/500tq from a 71 lincoln markIII. the other is a low compression one out of a late 70s lincoln.

Now I dont know what direction to go in. part of the reason I wanted to swap an LS1 in a stang is just to **** off the ford guys, but in the end I just want to go really really fast for cheap.

the LS1 would obviously be ligther, would get better mileage (dont really care), would require some custom work and headers would be an issue. the aftermarket is booming. I would have to go out and buy an LS1 though. I know head and cam packages for $2000 will put me at well over 500 horsepower.

the 460 would be pretty heavy but would make TONS of torque, easily bored/stroked to 500+ cubes (ive seen up to 553), the prices seem to be coming down. theres already parts made for these kinds of swaps into fox bodies. plus the engine would be free. I don't think 600 horsepower is too far out of the question for a budget built 500+ cube stroker. or I could put a new cam and upgraded valvetrain in a stock 460 and make over 400 horsepower. I would also have the tuning simplicity of a carbuerator.

I dont know... im leaning towards the 460 due to availability of parts. what do you guys think?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

need direction? go south for fox chassis

the 460 can be done on the cheap but the WOW factor is in the LSX setup.

OH! dont forget to put a bowtie in the grill where the ford oval normally resides.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ASRoff
need direction? go south for fox chassis

the 460 can be done on the cheap but the WOW factor is in the LSX setup.

OH! dont forget to put a bowtie in the grill where the ford oval normally resides.
I dunno... a big block ford has a WOW factor just due to its sheer size.

Ive read quite a bit about the 460 swap and the hood clearance issues seem to be bad. some guys are needing 6" cowl hoods, im not sure I want to do that. the angle the engine sits at seems to be a problem too. I would need motorplates to make it sit correctly.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

IMHO the LS1 just makes more sense on all angles. Less weight, more power, less maintenance, more options, better fuel efficiency, etc. You could still go carb if you like, and it mit fit under the stock hood if you really wanted it to.

Quick Reply: need direction