Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C clutch engaged but does it signal the PCM to increase idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A/C clutch engaged but does it signal the PCM to increase idle?

I just got my AC system fixed with custom hoses and I am currently trying to get it charged and cooling properly. I have some questions.

I have a SpearTech harness and it contained a green wire to connect to the AC compressor that I tied to my car side AC system wiring, everything works but it doesn't seem to increase the engine idle when turned on or disengage the compressor at any throttle setting, question should the PCM know when the compressor is turned on to increase idle, and drop the compressor out during hard excelleration?

Another question my 1986 El Camino car side AC system is CCOT system (Cycling Clutch Orfice Tube) where it will turn off the compressor by a pressure switch if the system starts icing and the pressure drops below 25psi on the low side, now the LS1 AC compressor is a V7 where I read in my C5 service manual that it is a variable compensating pump type that will vary its pumping capacity based on rpm and system pressure to where it will always be engaged to NEVER cycle; so my long question is this does this sound correct that my compressor will NEVER cycle even though the system is a CCOT system?

Last question, what Low side and High side pressures should I see to gain optimum cooling? My system was working prior to the LS1 swap and using R12 with a capacity of 3.25 lbs or refrigerant. The system now contains new dryer, new condensor with ports moved to the pass side, and new hoses.

BTW, I am using a new kind of refrigerant called REDTEK 12a which is a hydrocarbon which is suppose to be more efficient than R12 and colder. www.redtek.com

Quick Reply: A/C clutch engaged but does it signal the PCM to increase idle?