Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS Sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default VSS Sensor questions

I have searched a few Thread on the subject of the VSS, but still have questions on the VSS Sensor on wiring it up. I don't have a manual to trace the wires and the harness, engine and trans are in place.. (don't want to start ripping things apart again unless I have to).

All of this would be simple if I was using a GM T56, but my Viper T56 has a different VSS sensor with 3 wires. I am trying to verify if I can either 1) use the Viper VSS and wire it up to the GM harness/PCM or 2) modify a GM VSS to fit and work in place of the Viper one.

I have read that the VSS will generate postive voltage and feed the PCM (right?) so. I need to know about the two wire going/coming from the VSS/PCM.

Which one (wire Color) feeds the PCM (Red #20 ?). Is the other a ground (PCM or frame ground) or where does it go to? (I read in some thread that it didn't matter for a GM one for which one goes where?)

The Viper has three wires, 1) ground, 2) VSS signal feed to the PCM and 3) 8V from the PCM

Any info or suggestions ? who to call ?

Thanks

bczee
Old 06-28-2006 | 10:41 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

The stock LS1 style VSS generates a 40 pulse per revolution AC sine wave signal. It does not necessarily generate a positive voltage since it generates an AC current like the electricity in your house. It has a low reference wire which is LT GRN/BLK and is basically a ground (which would be equivalent to the neutral wire on an outlet) and it has a PPL/WHT signal wire (equivalent to the hot wire on a house outlet)

The PCM can be programmed to accept different pulse rates (IE 2 pulse per revolution). I am not sure if you could use a square wave DC VSS, but you might be able to program it for that.

I have no idea what style a viper VSS is. My guess is that you would connect the ground wire to the LT GRN/BLK wire and the VSS signal wire to the PPL/WHT wire, but that will only work if the viper sensor will put out a signal without having a power source on the other wire. Mabey theres a viper board somewhere and someone knows how the viper VSS works.
Old 06-29-2006 | 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

G-Body.. thanks for the info.. good stuff... I will do some more research on the Viper VSS.. I am going to try and see how the Viper's and the GM VSS compare. Maybe I can modify the GM one to fit. The guy I sold my GM Trans to still has it sitting on the floor and I am going over this weekend to take a look.

I have posted a few posts on Viperalley and viperclub but i don't think them guys work on there own car.. I never get replys !
Old 07-03-2006 | 03:33 PM
On The Tree

G-Body:

Do you know if something like this might work ? http://www.markwilliams.com/drivesha...CategoryID=266

I swapped my LS1 into a 88 Camaro Drag Car, and am using a th350, and thought this would be the easiest way to monitor driveshaft RPM. I know there are different tailshafts, and adaptors available, but thought maybe somebody would know if that type of signal would be recognizable by the cpu. If it is recognizable, I know that with EFI Live I can correct the pulses to read correctly.

Thanks, Jason

jman812@hotmail.com
Old 07-03-2006 | 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Arrgh..

Looks like Mark Williams site is down.

Basically it is a split metal ring with magnets (attached to the yoke) that pass by a 2 wire sensor.

"Proximiy Sensor Switch
Magnetically triggered switch normally open and closed with magnet passage. Same as supplied with Racepack Computer Systems. Fits 3/8" diameter hole in mount bracket. "

'J

Quick Reply: VSS Sensor questions