Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple brake setup/brake line questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple brake setup/brake line questions...

Hey all. Doing the LS1 swap into my 87 TA. Im getting to the point where i need to start thinking about brake lines. Im using the brakes from the 99 camaro...front and back. Here go my questions...thanks for any help! I did search for awhile for this stuff...but there was conflicting info and I didnt really see anything definitive.

Using 99 Front brakes, rear brakes, booster and master cylinder.

1. Can I run one line from the master cylinder, and split it to both front brakes? Some people say yes, some say no. Am I correct in staying that a proportioning valve doesnt do anything to the front brakes besides split to left and right? I do know that I need an adjustable prop. valve for the rears... Im going to get a prop. valve/line lock kit to install...so that will take care of that.

2. What size (diameter) line should I run tot he rear? The car had TCS and 4 channel ABS, so I have to put a "T" on the axle...but I wasn unsure whether to use 3/16 or 1/4" for the line.

3. Can I use 3rd gen brake hoses with the 4th gen calipers?? The 4th gen hoses seem to be kinda hard to find at the local part houses..but the 3rd gen lines are like $10 a piece, and they will work with the factory brackets and all.

4. Is there a list somewhere of the actual sizes for the fittings on 4th gen brakes? I guess the only thing I would need would be the M/C fittings...but it would be nice to know the others.

Thanks again for any help you guys can provide. Im trying to find the time between trying to work on my car, part out the camaro, and work to put some pics together and post them. Im geting so close to putting the motor in I can almost smell it. Stupid weather here in PA has really been holding me back. Thanks!

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-28-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are not keeping the ABS, so yes you can run one line and tee it off for the fronts. And the same for the rears, just use an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line.

I believe the Master Cylinder is 12x1 metric bubble flare. It is either 12x1 or 12x1.5. My C5 master is one of each. You can get the fittings at classictube.com.

The calipers use a 10mm banjo. For the braided lines, I had them custom made at a local hydraulic shop.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...Ill hve to check and see if the hoses will work. I dont want to get braided stainless lines for the front yet...

Any ideas on the diameter of the line to go to theback brakes? common sense wants to tell me to use a bigger line since its operator two brakes from one line. But I seem to remember that drum brakes needed more volume to operate. So maybe I can just use a 3/16... The stock thirdgen rear brake line is bigger than 3/16..so Im assuming its 1/4. I guess Ill just use that...unless someone tells me other wise. Thanks for the help!

Justin
Old 06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Conversion master

My car has one 3/16 feeding both fronts and one 1/4 feeding both rears. The 4th gens and C5's use 1/4 all over.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but im getting ready to redo the brakes on my car, getting rid of the ABS block.

what ive gathered is that i can use a T to operate the brakes at the rear, and get rid of the two separate lines as it has now. will a 1/4 tee'd off line be sufficient? or should i use a 3/16? any downside to using the bigger line?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just want one line running from the master back to the rear brakes, you can do it easily. Use a 1/4" line from the master back to a single rear brake hose. Then run the hose to the axle. From there, run 3/16" line out to the calipers. Thats how Ive done it on both my Jeep and my 87 TA... Works flawlessly.

If you do it this way, and you arent running some sort of proportioning valve, you will want to use an adjustable valve from a place like wilwood. That way you can dial down your rear brakes so you dont get lock up. I have my front/rear brake bias set up around 60/40 right now. And it stops very very well. In fact, during spirited driving, there is still PLENTY of brake left.

If you have any other questions post up!

J.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

thanks alot man! seems pretty simple now

Quick Reply: Couple brake setup/brake line questions...