Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 76 El Camino - questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 76 El Camino - questions

I want to drop an LS1 into a '76 El Camino. To keep it simple, I intend to use an Edelbrock carburetion intake manifold and MSD ignition unit.

Beyond that, I am wondering about the other issues & how to go about educating myself. I have looked over the FAQ & not sure I learned much there. For example, there is info re. motor mount plates, but I can't find anything that tells me what those plates do. My guess/hope is that they provide mounting holes that are equivalent to the old SBC. Is this the case? If so, why two rather different designs?

In attiton, need info re. power steering - will the LS1 pump connect using existing hose fittings, or are adaptor fittings needed?

Can I use the LS1 AC compressor with existing AC system? Adaptor connections needed?

Headers available that will fit (or at least almost fit)?

And no doubt a raft of questions that I haven't thought of yet. Ideally I would like to hook up with someone who has been there / done that.

Thanks,
Scott Kelley
Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Scott,
What vehicle did your engine come out of? Transmission?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

The tranny should be completely taken care of. It is a 700R4 that is already in the vehicle and fully set up. The only issue is the cable to the tranny, and it sounds as though the manifold comes with the appropriate bracket.

I have one parts engine that was virtually given to me that came out of a car - don't know which. I intend to buy a complete engine - was thinking of a 4.8 or 5.3 out of a truck (I want low RPM power & don't want to break open the engine).
Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Kelley
My guess/hope is that they provide mounting holes that are equivalent to the old SBC. Is this the case? If so, why two rather different designs?
They do convert the LSx bolt pattern to the standard SBC pattern. There are two different designs because some conversions need you to move the engine forward. The S&P style locate the motor in the same basic position as a SBC, the other style push it forward. I think that the A/C compressor interferes with the S&P style though.

In attiton, need info re. power steering - will the LS1 pump connect using existing hose fittings, or are adaptor fittings needed?
You will need new lines made or adapter fittings unless you update to a powersteering box that is newer than 1981.

Can I use the LS1 AC compressor with existing AC system? Adaptor connections needed?
Yes you can use the LSx compressor and the rest of the old system, you just need a set of custom A/C lines made.

Headers available that will fit (or at least almost fit)?

[/QUOTE]
I`m clueless here, anyone else? or mabey try a search.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

no vender here.. i used the transdapt plates. You bolt the plate to the motor and the original block mounts to the plate. then the motor will sit in the original chassis mounts. trouble is it will move the tranny about 1 and 3/4 inches front. unless you move the chassis mounts.
I had to make an extension for the kick down cable on my 200 4r. using an edelbrock carb. They sell the connector for the kickdown cable as well. seperate of course. there's no good place on the carb for a return spring if you use the kickdown. which is questionable. Although I have one on, it's not pretty as it should be. What they need to do, is make the kickdown adapter a spring holder as well..I will say this much, without touching any adjustments. It started right up and pulls hard, idles good, choke works nice. tach works.. etc.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 76 El Camino - questions