Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone swaping in the D.O.D?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Anyone swaping in the D.O.D?

I'm thinking of doing this swap, just wonder if I'm the only one?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pardon my apparent ignorance, but WTF is a D.O.D.?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Displacement On Demand

I have also been trying to find out if anyone has ventured into that yet. I would really nice to have that feature on a muscle car
Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Displacement On Demand

I have also been trying to find out if anyone has ventured into that yet. I would really nice to have that feature on a muscle car
Fuel Consumption and Muscle Car in the same sentance -
Old 07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

i would be very careful about something like that. i don't know if it has had enough testing in the real world. i know cadilac tried to do that same thing years ago and it failed miserably. to me there is something wrong with just shutting off fuel to a few cylinders when cruising. i think this would lead to problems later and i would wait for something like that until it is known to be proven and safe. why do the swap only to find out later that you are hurting your very expensive new motor. just my .02
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its called technology...we have it now, cadillac didnt 30 years ago.

As far as ive researched the DOD stuff is all taken care of in the pcm so it shouldnt be much different than swapping a normal ls1/ls2.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all the ones I've driven it's pretty seamless but the programming and calibration is REALLY critical. I really think it would be a frustrating venture to say the least but I see no reason why it couldn't be accomplished. Oh....by the way, GM is now calling it "Active Fuel Management"......they dropped the DOD thing.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Happy Jim
Fuel Consumption and Muscle Car in the same sentance
why not? Powerful engine that also gives good gas mileage sounds pretty good to me.

Originally Posted by rocketrider93
i would be very careful about something like that. i don't know if it has had enough testing in the real world
it has been tested and is now in use in some GM trucks. I watched some TV car show where they went into details about how it works. It was actually pretty cool to listen to all that.

Some chrysler hemi 300c and chargers also have this feature.

I know it is just a matter of time before some one integrates this feature into an old car. Just a few years ago, swaping LS1s into old metal might have sounded outrageous and undoable.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just regurjitate what I've read.
DOD has been around for two or three model years. They don't just shut off the fuel. The valves and coils for the four deactivated cylinders are also deactivated. This way the pistons in the cylinders that are shut down work against what can best be described as an air spring. Any energy used to compress the air is returned to the crank on the down stroke. When the cylinders shut down, the computer changes the amount of throttle opening, hence the use of eletronically controled throttles.
To deactivate the valves a system of solenoids control oil pressure to part of the lifters for the four cylinders. The lifters for the controlled cylinders are different than the other eight, and I'm thinking heavier too. The cam also has different lobe profiles for the controlled cylinders vs the full time cylinders.
If you are willing to run the engine exactly as it was built, it probably wouldn't be that much harder to swap in than any other LSx engine. But as soon as you start messing with it you could have a real headache trying to ballance Throttle opening with activation and deactivation.
Ken
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What GM vehicles offer the D.O.D, looking for an alum. block, and rear wheel drive? And does anyone know how much improvement this can make?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping that Jason from Katech will chime in....

I got an answer from them, while I was there, and there are some performance and durability issue that really dont suit our needs. Hopefully Jason can give the explaination just one more time..... as I cannot remember everything Caleb and Jason explained to me.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my moms got the 300c dod or w/e its pretty unnoticed... when ya floor it it goes when your cruising ya cant tell if anything happend . but the engine has only got almost 13k on it and was ticking pretty good, till i changed the oil... could be its just a dodge, the crappy mobil 1 that ticks with most ls1's, or a couple more other possibilitys. i say the oil though, because it stopped with the fresh stuff. good luck with all that new fangled electronics.... id rather just go ls1/ls2/ls7 there already good on gas with the right transmission.