Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006 | 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Power steering pump question

I'm putting a LQ9 (escalade) engine in my Chevelle and ran into somehting with the power steering setup. On the pump/reservoir setup there are three inlets. One for pressure output to the steering box, one for the return low pressure hose. What is the third input for? I believe the escalades have hydroboost and this must have something to do with that.

Can anyone verify this and tell me what the third hose should run to ?

Also there is a "valve" on the pump pressure side that is part of the speed sensitive steering system. Do I have to do anything to this valve to run the pump on my car ?

Max
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:23 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

The second return line is for the hydroboost brakes, since you are not running them you can just cap the second return line.

As for the speed sensitive steering valve on the pressure line you don`t have to do anything. I have one on my car and I left the wiring harness plugged in so that it looks right and the connector doesn`t get full of dirt, but the wires just dead end in the harness. I have been running it like that for 9000 miles so far and the power steering works great. I was thinking of trying to make the speed sensitive steering valve functional but right now making the A/C functional seems more important .
Old 07-18-2006 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. I'm also running the power steering cooler from the escalade, which I assume just goes inline in the low pressure line. So for future reference, if I switch to hydroboost, does the third line from the pump just dead-end into the hydroboost unit? Could it be that simple?
Old 07-18-2006 | 11:20 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

The power steering cooler goes in the return low pressure line.

The hydroboost needs both pressure and return lines. You can just uncap the return line and plumb the hydroboost into there, but you will also have to T into the high pressure line.
Old 07-18-2006 | 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha, that was quick
thanks dood

Quick Reply: Power steering pump question