Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 firebird ls1 / T56 help (simple questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 68 firebird ls1 / T56 help (simple questions)

All,
I'm a, newbie and have decided to undertake the project of replacing my th350 and pontiac 400 engine with a ls1 and t56. the material I've found on this site and other but I have some questions. most of them are quite simple and I think I know the answer to but I have to ask. I understand that putting a t56 and ls1 into a car requires alot of work. But I'm a little confused about the hydraulic master cylinder. One site I went to seems to believe that it can be eliminated but the information on this site is different. can some one explain? I know that the shifter wil lhave to be reloaced 4 to 6 inches further back than stock. I s there an adapter kit that allows the shifter to be in the stock location? I was lead to believe that an ls1 with an automatic trans is slightly different than an ls1 with a manual trans. My ls1 came from an automatic car. Are there additional parts and pieces that will be needed to mate the t56. Is there a thread with a shopping list around the site?
Thanks in advance
JOHN
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t know about the hydralic clutch, except that I have always seen people running it, I can`t remember hearing of anyone eliminating it yet but then again I never really paid much attention to that. I know that there are kits to relocate the shifter further forward but I don`t know if it places it in the stock location for a first gen f-body. The actual LS1 engine is the same for the stick and auto cars, at least in dimensions, everything will bolt up. I think that the vette LS1`s may have had different cams between the A4 & M6 cars since the HP ratings were different, but the rest of the engine is the same. The wiring harnesses are different between A4 & M6 cars, but it is a lot easier to use an A4 wiring harness for a stick trans, you will have to eliminate a few wires and add 2 or 3 wires and then make sure the computer has an M6 program so that it is not looking for an auto trans.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also there is one little piece diff between the auto and stick cars, it my sound like a no brainer, but alot of people forget about this. there is a pilot bushing in the crankshaft in the stick setup. you can get a bushing or a roller beasring, these are both inexpensive so go with the roller. if you forget to install this little piece, you will destroy the trans, it may take awhile but it will have vibration that will get worse and eventually kill it. i know, i learned this lesson the hard way. i blew up my 305 in an iroc i had years ago and got a new 350 out of another tpi car , but it was an automatic........ never thought to check that and like 3 months later after beating on it i lost reverse and first gears.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so true. It is critical to have the pilot bushing or bearing. I didn't find the pilot bearing was cheap ($25) but it was a nice piece and it will take a beating.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Motor mount styles will determine the final shifter location. If you go with a BRP style mount setup, the shifter is in about the stock location. If you go with the S&P style engine mounts, it moves the engine lower and further back, so the shifter location will also move.

Hydraulic clutch is required on an LS1 T56. ATS (sponsor here) will have all the tranny conversion parts you need. http://www.t56kit.com
Old 08-04-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
so true. It is critical to have the pilot bushing or bearing. I didn't find the pilot bearing was cheap ($25) but it was a nice piece and it will take a beating.

but 25 is kinda cheap to skimp on when you consider what is at stake, also you can get the reular bushing (to save a buck) for like 7 bucks if your really runnnin out of money.

Quick Reply: 68 firebird ls1 / T56 help (simple questions)