Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Speartech harness :-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Got my Speartech harness :-)

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.....AWESOME quality! I can't believe how straight-forward they made this part of the project. Everything came neat, and nicely labeled as you can see...

Old 08-08-2006, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Looks good! Is that an ls1 harness? I inquired months ago about getting one reworked for putting the ls1 in my lt1 car but was told that they no longer supply harnesses for that application.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeanGreenLT1
Looks good! Is that an ls1 harness? I inquired months ago about getting one reworked for putting the ls1 in my lt1 car but was told that they no longer supply harnesses for that application.

Yup, LS1 harness. They may not make harnesses for specific applications, but their custom stand alone harnesses are definitely available. So much cleaner than getting a stock harness and trying to re-work it yourself, everything you dont' need is deleted, extended o2 wires for headers....you can't beat it.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

how much was it and what kind of harness did you say it was, I will be buy one soon I will give him a call
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Default I agree

I got my LS1 harness a couple years ago from Speartech. John is #1 in quality and customer service. The engine ran on the first try. I asked John via email for help testing the electric fans and he was very helpful. I'd recommend Speartech whole-heartedly. Thanks John.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

John has been awesome this entire time both on the phone and through email. I think I sent him my first question about a year ago when I was first considering the swap, but wasn't finally ready to pull the trigger until earlier this summer.

Original plan was to send him a stock harness to rework, but when my deal fell through I ended up buying a custom harness and PCM from Speartech.

http://www.speartech.com/
phone: (765) 378-4908
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I guess i will have to try and contact him again. My parts guy said that he was stoping production of the lt1 -> ls1 harness because they had become so overwelmed with the ls2 conversions. He also said there was no real demand for them anymore so there was no need to keep producing them. Would really like to get one form him though since he does such top notch work.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67ls1camaro
I got my LS1 harness a couple years ago from Speartech. John is #1 in quality and customer service. The engine ran on the first try. I asked John via email for help testing the electric fans and he was very helpful. I'd recommend Speartech whole-heartedly. Thanks John.
count me in on that note too.
the harness made the swap super simple for me and while the harness was beingmodified by Speartech I had time to tackle other problems like the fuel and cooling systems. that was a big plus for me.

there are cheaper options out there for harness modification, but Speartech is definitely top notch and included great instructions with pictures.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like great quality!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Banned

but he prices is to high
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do nice stuff but IMHO its not worth it. A local friend helped do the wiring on my GTA and it was really straightforward. Factory LS1 harnesses are basically a stand along harness from the factory.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone used the Painless Wiring harness?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Speartech has my vote too... its no more expensive than any other new LS1 harness. Revamping the stock type wiring harness would be worth it to save some $ but I just didn't want to mess with it...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm totally going this direction. Its almost the last part to my Vega puzzle. The budget just needs to wait until the 15th to get streched at little further once again. The Vega is even getting the drive by wire cool electric pedel.

I'm jellous
Old 08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'm starting to realize you get what you pay for. That though is not saying you can't do it yourself/friend for cheap. For their price you are getting the best quality and service. I know I personally am going to be practicing up on my own wiring...
Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
I'm starting to realize you get what you pay for. That though is not saying you can't do it yourself/friend for cheap. For their price you are getting the best quality and service. I know I personally am going to be practicing up on my own wiring...
I absolutely agree, I have read a bunch of posts from people tearing their hair out trying to make a bargain or do it yourself harness work. If you are on a tight budget, and have an idea what you are doing, give it a shot yourself. But if you want it to hook up easy, look ultra professional and fire the first time, Speartech is the way to go. Add to that the great support he provides and you can't go wrong. I also went with the drive by wire and am lovin' it.

Pat
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I'm with you guys. Yes I paid quite a bit for my harness, but you can't beat the quality.
I have seen other major brand harness's that did not line up right ect.

Everything lines up and exits the rear of the motor for a clean install.

And I have helped and talked to several people that had someone that could reprogramm their ECM and ALL of them had some hassle or poor performance issue that needed attention.

Speartech I think has done so many of these that the database of what works and what don't is huge. And after all the expense and skinned knuckles gettin that sucker in there the 45 minutes of plugging every thing up and having it catch first crank and purr..... PRICELESS

JMHO
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by indiana warmrod
I'm with you guys. Yes I paid quite a bit for my harness, but you can't beat the quality.
I have seen other major brand harness's that did not line up right ect.

Everything lines up and exits the rear of the motor for a clean install.

And I have helped and talked to several people that had someone that could reprogramm their ECM and ALL of them had some hassle or poor performance issue that needed attention.

Speartech I think has done so many of these that the database of what works and what don't is huge. And after all the expense and skinned knuckles gettin that sucker in there the 45 minutes of plugging every thing up and having it catch first crank and purr..... PRICELESS

JMHO
Out of curiosity since you're not too far away, what car did you put an LS1 into? Thanks. Bob
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased the motor, trany, custom harness, drive by wire, computer, virtually everything from SpearTech for my swap. It worked the first time. I only had a couple of issues one was just my preference and one was easily fixed. John worked with me to solve all issues.

Now I am capable of reworking a factory harness myself but I don't have the wire, pins, plugs, crimpers to do the job right, nor did I want to purchase all that stuff for a one time swap that I wouldn't use again. I didn't want a bunch of splices, or soldered connections and old plugs on this installation. I wanted a new harness that was clean and contained only the items I needed. I also didn't want to purchase all the equipment and supplies it would take for me to do it myself.

Some things are worth paying the money for and John Spears at SpearTech offers a good product and excellent service. I think his prices are fair and you get alot for your money, plus you get his experience and knowledge that he is willing to back up with excellent support. John was one of the guys that helped developed LS1Edit so his knowledge and skills go a long way.

Anyone can rework their own harness and save money but how much is your time worth? It will take you time and money for the research and hands on work to rework that old harness where a manufacture like SpearTech can just build you a new harness in no time at all.

Don't reinvent the wheel use what is developed and save yourself time and money. Companies like Year One, Ultimate Performance, Barry White, Boyd Coddington, Foose, and other car designers buy the new stuff and implement it in their designs. Rarely do the re-invent the wheel when they can purchase it completely done and correct for their designs.

SpearTech is a great company and I would use them again should I do another swap.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

I seen in a couple post people talking about superior harness company as anybody try them because there price bet johns prices

Quick Reply: Got my Speartech harness :-)