Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO wiring diagrams (66 nova)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO wiring diagrams (66 nova)

I have an 04 GTO motor in my 66 nova, I have everything out of the GTO ECM PCM , gauge cluster, fuel pump etc I've tried the search, but could not come up with a good set of diagrams. Things like to the fuel pump guages motor wiring.

www.geocities.com/ls1chevy2
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Did you get the BCM, Body Control Module, out from under the glovebox? What about the Helm's? $140, very cheap, maybe less on eBay.

You are going to be hurting without it.

For instance the Engine Speed signal goes straight from the PCM Powertrain Control Module to the instrument cluster, and the tachometer will work.

But the speedometer signal, Oof. The Body Control Module comes up with a number for how fast the car is going (based on transmission tail shaft speed I think) and sends UART data on the secondary serial data bus to the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster). The IPC decodes the serial data and displays the 'answer' in the center window of the IPC, and sends a voltage to the stepper motor behind the speedometer needle.

Fuel level is a voltage signal from the tank sending unit to the BCM, and then serial data on the same bus, BCM to IPC.

I don't recall about H2O temp. I would guess it is a 0-5 vdc signal between the PCM and IPC, but you haven't asked me to look it up.

I'll not lecture you about buying the Helms, nor hazard a guess as to how much of the GTO electronics you wish to keep in your Nova. I was cruising this section to see if anyone had dropped an LS1 into a Lotus7 knockoff.

But I do have the Helms for 04 GTO open on my desk, the following is more or less verbatim...

page 6-678: When the ignition switch is on, the PCM activates the in tank fuel pump. The fuel pump remains on as long as the PCM receives the reference pulses from the ignition system. If no pulses, the PCM turns the fuel pump off after 2-3 seconds. The rpessure regulator, located in the fuel tank maintains system pressure at 55-60psi, excess fuel returns to the tank.

6-461, fuel pump and sender assembly connector pinout:

1. not used
2. color PU, circuit #30, fuel level sensor signal
3. color BK, circuit 2759, low reference
4. color PU, circuit 120, fuel pump supply voltage
5. color BK/BU, circuit 650, ground

Color PU I think is purple. Looking at the 5 pin connector, orient it for left/right symmetry. The horizontal line of three connectors are pins 1, 2 and 3. The horizontal line of two connectors is pins 4 and 5.

HTH. If it was me I would be looking for an engine only PCM from somebody, and I would run old school electronics and gages in the rest of the car. Certainly do what is right for you.

Also, the BCM is about the size of a paperback book, light grey plastic cover. A relatively high failure part on the 04 GTOs, AFAIK you can't buy a repaired one from GM without sending in a core. Four connectors, pin counts are 22, 12, 16 and 26.

Last edited by swmn; 09-03-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

ive also just bought an 04 GTO engine, which is going in to a mercedes, i bought gto mostly for the oil pan, I see the VATS module from ebay wont work on the GTO have to program the PCM by the looks of it, guess i have to buy LS1 edit for that. Is there a pinout diagram or what you called it for the 04 gto here? I used a list of what all the wires in each connector is to hook up my 98 LS1 in my 67 Camaro, and it works great now.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

1. I know jack doodle about the VATS module, though it is refered to often here in the hybrid section.

2. I am staying out of trouble here.

A: I really don't want a 'warning' PM from the mods or www.helminc.com for ripping off the manual without permission.

B: the 04 GTO PCM has two 80pin connectors on it and I really don't feel like typing all that in.

3. To the best of my general knowledge:

A: The 04 GTO uses LS1 standard class II serial data and standard LS1 PCM architecture under the hood.

B: There is ONE PCM for both the A4 and M6 2004 GTO. I _believe_ there are some software differences inside the PCM between A4 and M6. The PCM knows a whole lot about what is going on inside the A4, and very little about what is going on inside the M6 gearbox. I did spend a few minutes looking for the A4 connector in my transmission tunnel while doing the !CAGS mod on my M6, could not locate the A4 connector.

C: general network architecture: imagine the BCM, body control module, as the padded cushion at the top of a three legged barstool.

1. The tertiary serial data bus (first leg of barstool) connects the BCM to the airbag module. In event of a failed module to module handshake or failed BCM the airbag module, apparently from info in thread at ls1gto, can illuminate the airbag light in the IPC probably by supplying a ground directly to the IPC.

2. Second leg of barstool is the secondary serial data bus, BCM to radio and IPC.

3. Third leg of the barstool is the primary serial data bus. From the BCM, this data bus tags the OBDII connector, than on to the PIM (Powertrain Interface Module). The PIM translates UART serial data from the BCM and class II serial data from the PCM back and forth so the BCM and PCM can talk to each other. By extension the primary serial data bus in the car travels from the PIM to the PCM as classII rather than UART serial data.

4. Poorly documented in the Helm's manual is the ABS serial data bus. As drawn it connects the ECBM (electronic brake control module)and OBDII connector only.

5. On the 2004 GTO, each of ClassII PCM serial data, UART primary serial bus data, and (protocol unknown) ABS serial data are directly available to a TechII scan tool at the OBDII connector.

Take home data:

1. GTO specific parts already in Michigan take 2-3 weeks to my door step via Fred Beans or GMPD. GTO specific parts in Australia take 6-8 weeks to my door via the same distribution channels.

2. If I was using a GTO powertrain as a donor in a hybrid, I personally would ditch every possible item of the GTO electronics. They are very expensive and a lot of them (IPC, BCM) are core exchange only.

Certainly you could transplant the entire computer network to get ABS brakes and the airbag system and the 6 disc CD changer, but you are commiting to a slow moving, high priced distribution channel to do it.

3. I fully expect at least one of the vendors here can/could ship you a working engine/transmission PCM for 04 GTO LS1. If I was in that situation, knowing what I know about the 04 GTO electronics from owning one, I would pay $400 plus core, with the caveat I need closed loop on the cats and OBDII connectivity for the smog police in my state.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Couple other items for ls1chevy2.

From pic 1641 on your homepage.

Without the GTO headlamp switch and the BCM you are going to have a heck of a time adjusting your IPC backlight brightness. The dull/bright switch on the factory headlamp switch is actually one line that rides around 2k ohm resistance to ground. Shorting that line to ground (zero ohms) is read by the BCM as a dull command, a data packet crosses on the secondary serial data bus BCM to IPC, which the IPC interprets as a command to reducethe current flow to the backlight LEDS. Pulsing the line to about 5k ohms is a bright command to the BCM...

Similarly, one of the functions of the trip computer switches (not installed in pic 1641) is to scroll through the display options of the LCD windows in the bottom of the instrument cluster.

I have no idea what sort of DTCs can be generaterd by running a partial network.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

this is interesting, is the BCM the ekstra black box hanging on my engine? i havent got this on my 98 ls1 engine.

edit, here is a pic of the engine i bought

there is an ekstra black box there next to the pcm, is that the bcm? and do i need it?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I haven't seen enough 05s to be sure about this. Are you sure it is from a 2004? Should say LS1 on the throttle body. If it is from an 05/06 (I don't own one of those) it would say LS2 on the throttle body and the extra box might be the extra piece of the new for LS2 two piece PCM. My understanding is the LS2 uses one PCM box for the engine and a second box for the transmission.

OTOH you do have a throttle cable with length adjuster clearly visible against the pass side plastic heat-holder-in'er. The cable is LS1, LS2s use a drive by wire setup to the throttle body. Your black box is too big to be the air bag module. My 04 has a light grey BCM.

EDIT: I do think the pic is probably out of a 2004. I don't have access to a reference that would let me check your block casting number. Assuming we can see most of the length of the wire harness to the mystery box, the PIM is a likely candidate. But the PIM only has one connector, 16 pins, only five of which are used.

EDITII: My second guess is the SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) (airbag module). Yours as pictured is significantly bigger than mine, but the part does live behind the gear lever above the transmission tunnel in the center console. Ought to have a big arrow painted on one side that points to the front bumper. One connector with camlock, 50 pins, only 11 used while installed in the car.

How many connectors on the extra box, and how many pins in each connector?

Last edited by swmn; 09-04-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

i helped take this engine out myself, and it arrives in Norway in about six weeks time, it is an 04 ls1 i was told, the throttle uses a steel wire , maybe im making this thread off topic with my engine and stuff, but i guess it is interesting for the thread starter. i can take more pictures of the ekstra box when the engine arrives, and give block numbers and stuff. why would an M6 need its own pcm.

http://bilder.driftfun.com/album01 <- more pictures of the engine, and the other to engines we bought and our California trip there if youre bored enough to click through them
Old 09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Teching In

I can't speak for the thread starter, but it seems to me there is only this one thread here about using an 04 goat as a powertrain donor. Might as well keep it easy for future search button users.

Once you get your motor home to Norway just bump this thread with a connector count and pin count on your mystery box, I'll do what I can to name it for you. Looks like you had a really fun trip.

Also, I am not the only user here with an 04 GTO and a Helm's. Someone who has had their car further apart than I have had mine might chime in any time. I have no idea if the 05/06's use a two piece PCM on the LS2's really, regardless of A4 v- M6. I have read it enough times from enough different posters to give it some credence.

All I can really offer you is my experience owning an 04 GTO and general knowledge commentary that doesn't get me in trouble with the mods here or Helm's for copyright violations.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Not wishing to sound dumb, but what is a Helm`s ?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Teching In

The Helm's manual is the shop manual used at the dealership level to service automobiles. Helm's is a publishing company.

This link might as well be in this thread and should take you straight to a page that will let you order the paper manual (2 volumes) for 2004 GTO directly from Helm's.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...JR5N60KV07FSEC

Please note: Items like the PCM and BCM and IPC are not serviced at the dealership level. They are, rather, replaced as entire modules and the failed module sent to central repair facilities as cores. Thus in many instances tracking a gremlin through the schematics will take you to a grey box with a dashed outline, the next step in the trouble shooting process is to replace the named module.

Also, the Helm' manuals do not include _any_ part numbers.

Also, the service manual is also available on CD ROM, I believe as a very large Adobe .pdf file. Same price.

You will have the same shop manual as the dealer, but you don't get access to electronic updates, you don't get notification of new TSBs, and of course you don't get access to GMs part number database. You do get torque specs for every bolt in the car, decent circuit descriptions and so on. My paper version is about 8.5x11 and about 4" thick with both volumes stacked.

If, for instance, you need to change the HVAC evaporator, the Helm's will guide you through dissembling the entire dash board panel by panel and piece by piece, and taking the HVAC unit apart to get at the actual evaporator.

Very cheap at $135. If you buy one you will realize in about ten minutes all the useful information in a standard Chaynes or Hilton manual could fit on a 3x5 index card.

Thsi page should be all the 04GTO related publications: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...JR5N60KV07FSEC
Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I am putting in an 04 GTO LS1 into my 68 vette and so far I have been able to get all the information I needed regarding wiring diagrams, etc. from a site called ALLDATA - it is an Autozone company which was a concern for me at first but all the information has been correct thus far...here is the address for the site:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

it cost me $24 for a 1 year membership. The only other box I can see in the picture, besides the PCM is the throttle position controller.

I am currently attempting to get the fuel system up an running myself - my problem is that the PU circuit 120 wire only reads 12v for about 1-2 seconds after ingnition is turned on. I am tring to find what tells the PCM to activate the fuel pump switch pin 9 of Green PCM connector (ultimately activates PU circuit 120 wire) - for instance does the fuel level sensor have to be connected or the fuel tank pressure sensor? I will update this post when I find the answer...
Old 09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Teching In

From post #2 above:

Originally Posted by swmn

page 6-678: When the ignition switch is on, the PCM activates the in tank fuel pump. The fuel pump remains on as long as the PCM receives the reference pulses from the ignition system. If no pulses, the PCM turns the fuel pump off after 2-3 seconds. The pressure regulator, located in the fuel tank maintains system pressure at 55-60psi, excess fuel returns to the tank.
Also consider the very last steps in replacing the fuel hose over in post 1 this thread: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76605 . Running the fuel pump for 1-2 seconds should be adequate to pressurize the system and check for leaks.

If your (dynosmith's) fuel pump is shutting off after 1-2 seconds without the crankshaft spinning the PCM is doing its job to the best of my knowledge.

If the crankshaft is turning _and_ the fuel pump is shutting off, a brief review of PCM inputs, wrt to the quote above is in order.

PCM inputs are Vehicle Speed Sensor, Accelerator Position Sensor, MAF, IAT, Crankshaft position (CKP), camshaft position (CMP), knock sensor (KS), throttle position -plate in throttle body as distinct from accelerator pedal-(TP), engine coolant (ECT) and manifold absolute pressure (MAP), "and possibly others".

Of these inputs, CKP and CMP seem likely candidates for 'ignition pulses' as quoted. Reviewing the pinouts for the PCM, C1p46 (connector one, pin 46), "FTP sensor" is as yet undefined. Likewise C1p53 is the "TFT sensor".

I suspect the thing to do, if the fuel pump shuts off while the crank is turning would be to step through the PCM pins one at a time looking for other possible sources for 'ignition pulses'.

Nothing is jumping out at me if your CMP and CKP sensors are known to be good.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

You are correct, I was concerned that it was only running the fuel pump for about 1 sec. and shutting it off, but I actually clocked it and it is 3 sec. everytime so it looks like I was worried for no reason - back to work on getting this thing fired up! Thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I have all the wiring info you need to do the swap for this motor. Email me at anh3pa@hotmail.com.

The extra box is probably the BCM. You don't need it to get the motor running if you will send your PCM in to disable the VATs system. The BCM controls all the accesories in the car. The tach and VSS should be fed to the PCM and there should be wires going thru the Inline Harness to use for the gauges.
Vinh
Old 09-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks LS1Cobra, I will email you in case you have something I do not.

The box is the throttle position controller and powertrain interface module, each has a single plug.

I used EFILive and programmed out VATs on the PCM - it was a snap.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 04 GTO wiring diagrams (66 nova)