Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker engine plates "mount adapters"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006 | 07:18 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Thumbs down Hooker engine plates "mount adapters"

We bought the Hooker swap mounts to go with their swap headers for the Chevelle LSX project in the shop.

This car is a completed restoration, and I'm only doing a drivetrain swap, so I am buying as much as possible to avoid having to fabricate whatever is commercially available.

The Hooker swap plates put the driver's side mount into the back of the alternator, and the passenger side into the AC compressor. Hooker's tech support tells me to make new alternator brackets and space it away from the engine, and to remove the AC.

My 67 Camaro has swap plates that I fabricated myself three years ago before anything was really available for LSX swaps, and I did it just like ATS did with theirs. Flipped the mount and used the upper front bolt from the LSX block as the top bolt of the SBC mount. The Hooker solution uses the SBC mount in it's factory position, and runs it about a half inch forward from ATS' location, causing the interference with the AC and alternator.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the fit with the headers with the engine mounts in the ATS mount position, if they fit, we'll go with their plates.

On a side note, the ATS plates are nice and machined, professional looking, the Hooker plates look like something someone made in junior high shop class.
Old 08-21-2006 | 08:21 PM
Teching In

Whistler - What type of interference and how bad does the Hooker mounts cause with the alternator. I want to get the motor as for back as possible in an F-body to clear a Unisteer rack without modifying the oil pan. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hooker engine plates "mount adapters"