Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 346SX - "KA24 to the power of 2"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work Ted! that subframe is now not boxed at all in the center, dont you think it would benefit from even a little boxing in at the bottom portion? congrats on the luck on the driver side header, that looks pretty easy to work with.

I love to see the progress on these DIY-LS1-240sx projects !!!!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
nice work Ted! that subframe is now not boxed at all in the center, dont you think it would benefit from even a little boxing in at the bottom portion? congrats on the luck on the driver side header, that looks pretty easy to work with.

I love to see the progress on these DIY-LS1-240sx projects !!!!!!
It is boxed, 4 pieces of 1/8" thick steel were used, one across the back, one on each side and then one piece on the bottom. The reason it doesn't look like it's boxed on the bottom is because it sits flush and the weld was grinded away for we wanted a flat surface to work with for then it was easier to space up the oil pan when we were making up the motor mounts and I think it looks a little nicer to have it flush like that.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Teching In

looks good!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marshun
looks good!
Thanks man, took a break from working on the car so I haven't gotten much done. It's gotten a lot nicer out lately so that makes me spend more time out in the garage working on it. I bought a radiator from summit racing this last weekend and a fan set up so I'm working on getting that installed into the car now. Will put up pics probably this weekend after I get it fabbed up.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

cant wait to see the new pics. i'm still trying to find an ls1 so i can start on my 240. i've just been reading a lot about how people are doin this swap. man i want that motor in my car NOW!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

very nice stuff then, hot ****!

more pics!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cant wait to see the new pics. i'm still trying to find an ls1 so i can start on my 240. i've just been reading a lot about how people are doin this swap. man i want that motor in my car NOW!
I can't wait either... I've never driven a 240 before. I found this car and it was parked for 4 or so years.

Last edited by Ted J; 09-20-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove mine for a week b4 the engine came out. What a blast. Now I know why they are so popular for drifters. Gradually bringing the rear end out mid turn was so easy and progressive! Ton of fun. But then I took it to Sac Raceway
First pass was 17.5
I widdled it down to a best of 16.96 @86mph! Yeah!!!
I kept the time slips for posterities sake. They'll be funny after the LS1 is running.

I want to ask a mod if I can now get the title of
"16 second club"

The LS1 is not an option, it's a neccesity. The springs are so soft around 2kg I think, that my buddies said it looked like I was squatting so hard that the rear bumper was dragging at launch. Even stock, the 240 has a great chassis.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ted J
I can't wait either... I've never driven a 240 before. I found this car and it was parked for 4 or so years.

i personally didnt like the 240's looks when i first saw them...but after i got into drifting i got a 240 (3rd drift car) and i liked it a lot. i dont see any reason to sell it really. plus i've only done suspension mods to the car.

but man...with an ls1 in there...i bet it'd be even better!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
very nice stuff then, hot ****!

more pics!
I should have more by this weekend... test fitted the radiator and wow, it's about as wide as I could have gotten it and it's about the right height as well. Just having to mod things up front to make it fit up against the car now and I'll put some pics up once I get that done.

It won't be an easy bolt up type thing since it's just a racing radiator I picked up at Summit Racing this last weekend but with the dual 11" Spal fans that I got with a shroud it should hopefully cool the car really well.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

good Job
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will you post the dimensions and part number of your radiator when you post the pics?
Sweet...
Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Launching!

it's going to be fun with two of these cars right around the corner from one another .
Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Will you post the dimensions and part number of your radiator when you post the pics?
Sweet...
I plan on putting up all the part numbers and links to the items I got when I post up the pics. I want to make sure it will fully fit and know how much work that went into making them fit first though.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icantdrift
it's going to be fun with two of these cars right around the corner from one another .
Yes it will, you totally wasted me on how fast you did yours but I didn't have a deadline to meet like you so that probably helped you put it together faster.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Teching In

lucky! i wish i had that kinda help around the corner. haha

could i pick your brains about the wiring? i hate having to figure out wiring for myself. . takes me a lot longer than just pickin someone else's brain
Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lucky! i wish i had that kinda help around the corner. haha

could i pick your brains about the wiring? i hate having to figure out wiring for myself. . takes me a lot longer than just pickin someone else's brain
My situation is going to be different than most for I'm going to be stripping things down to just needed items and I'm also going to be putting the dash cluster out of the T/A into the car as well as an affordable and quick easy way to get all of the gauges to work. It also has the mileage of the motor and tranny on it as well so it will stay in synch with the them.

The plan is to lay everything out in the garage stall and work out the wiring and then install it in the car.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Teching In

sounds good
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some updated mock up pics of the radiator and fans that I'll be running. I just got done getting the radiator support cut so the radiator would fit into place and as you can see it's held in place with tape and I've got paint sticks on the bottom to space it up into place for now.

Planning on using some sheet metal on the sides of the radiator to seal it up so the air doesn't leak around the sides.

Here's how close I got to getting the right width on the radiator. Enough room to make up some mounts on the frame. I wanted to get it as wide as I could and not have to modify the frame so I guess I measured twice and bought correctly.

Last edited by Ted J; 09-26-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Sweet...
Here is the radiator that I got: (It's specs are 27.375 inches wide by 16.5 inches tall)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Here is the fans and shroud that I got: (I've heard very good things about SPAL fans and this Be Cool setup has SPAL fans in it so I'm hoping it will keep the car cool when sliding around some parking lots and autocrossing it )

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Here's how they look together. I think it turned out pretty good:

Last edited by Ted J; 09-26-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Project 346SX - "KA24 to the power of 2"