Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 346SX - "KA24 to the power of 2"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I snapped a few photos of the firewall clearance that we have and these also show the lifting plates that I made up since I'm not able to get the bolts off of the back of the heads once the LS1 is bolted into the car:

Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

how are you going to get to your heater hose? or are you not running a heater?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chin180sx
how are you going to get to your heater hose? or are you not running a heater?
Not going to run a heater or an airbox for that matter. It's going to be a stripped down race car that gets used on the street very little and will be put on a trailer to be taken to most events since I don't think I'll want to drive it on anything longer than a 10 or 20 mile trip!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Ted, that thing is looking sweet. You have some mad fabrication skills! Keep up the posts.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Ted, that thing is looking sweet. You have some mad fabrication skills! Keep up the posts.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks like you got it farther back then any one i seen yet. good job.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
Thanks man, I gotta give props to my brother Cliff who's helped me on this as well though. He's the one that did a lot of the major welding on the crossmember and the motor mounts since he's better at welding.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fouz65
looks like you got it farther back then any one i seen yet. good job.
I can tell you why most don't put it back that far though. It's because the mods I had to do to the tranny tunnel made a lot of extra work to get the tranny to fit. It's also making exhaust manifold/header clearance on cylinder 7 to that of the brake booster tight as well but hopefully in the end it will be all worth it.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Ted, those lifting plates are awesome. Can you post up dimensions that you used for them? Thanks, Ken
Old 10-26-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
Ted, those lifting plates are awesome. Can you post up dimensions that you used for them? Thanks, Ken
I'll get some pics of how they look on the heads and some measurements of them when I pull the engine again. The project has been put on hold latley for I haven't had the load leveler that I borrowed from a friend and I've been working on some other things. Currently looking into getting some spare rear ends just in case some hard launches make things go boom in the back of the car!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

my rx7 had no room for bolts at the rear of the heads to lift the motor in/out so we have been using bolts near the headers in the heads for lifting the motor, workes like a charm if you put them in the right spot it drops the trans enough to make it a good angle for install once you lift the tailshaft by hand over the rad support/fenders.

but those plates are nicey nice! good progress and nice pics, keep 'em comin!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
my rx7 had no room for bolts at the rear of the heads to lift the motor in/out so we have been using bolts near the headers in the heads for lifting the motor, workes like a charm if you put them in the right spot it drops the trans enough to make it a good angle for install once you lift the tailshaft by hand over the rad support/fenders.

but those plates are nicey nice! good progress and nice pics, keep 'em comin!
I was thinking of doing something like that but the brake booster made that very difficult since the clearance to it is very tight. The coil pack for cylinder 7 is really close to hitting it so I didn't have a lot of room for a chain to go by it. I did however use two of the bolts towards the front of the engine above the header bolts on the heads to create a lifting point on the front of the heads that is wide enough so I can pull the engine and tranny without having to remove the coil packs. It's not the prettiest but I'll post up pictutes of that later as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ted J
I was thinking of doing something like that but the brake booster made that very difficult since the clearance to it is very tight. The coil pack for cylinder 7 is really close to hitting it so I didn't have a lot of room for a chain to go by it. I did however use two of the bolts towards the front of the engine above the header bolts on the heads to create a lifting point on the front of the heads that is wide enough so I can pull the engine and tranny without having to remove the coil packs. It's not the prettiest but I'll post up pictutes of that later as well.

it only takes a minute to remove the coils and makes it much easier to deal with, not to mention less likely to damage them. i've used the side bolt holes in the head every time too and it works great. then again your motor is in an entirely different spot than anyone elses .
Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That radiator looks like a great choice! And only $200! I might be going that way.
I found and bought a visteon cored 27.5" wide radiator that had been briefly used on a nascar qualifying car. Had a pre-tapped A/n for the steam holes, built in heat exchanger/oil cooler, it was ******* beautiful...
Unitl UPS literally threw it over my 6' tall Block wall and it landed on its edge on my concrete walk way! Most of the used nascar radiators are 31" wide, It took me forever to find the 27.5"

Will you a post a pic of your pan in relation to the bottom of the cross member?
Keep up the sickness!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
That radiator looks like a great choice! And only $200! I might be going that way.
I found and bought a visteon cored 27.5" wide radiator that had been briefly used on a nascar qualifying car. Had a pre-tapped A/n for the steam holes, built in heat exchanger/oil cooler, it was ******* beautiful...
Unitl UPS literally threw it over my 6' tall Block wall and it landed on its edge on my concrete walk way! Most of the used nascar radiators are 31" wide, It took me forever to find the 27.5"

Will you a post a pic of your pan in relation to the bottom of the cross member?
Keep up the sickness!
They threw it over a 6' wall? Those bastards!

In regards to the pan pics, I had these I took a while back. Are you looking for anything more specific than that? If so just let me konw and I'll see if I can get you some more pics. I'm hoping to get started on working on it more this weekend. Taken a break from working on it for a while.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

AWESOME pics man, you rule!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Just a tip for you or anybody for that matter. That radiator has a 1.75" outlet on the bottom and the LS1 hose is around 1.5". I got an adapter from Jags that Run that goes from 1.75" down to 1.5". I had to call them to get that but I got it in a bit ago and it's exactly what I was looking for. Talked with the two guys that work there and they were both great to deal with to boot!

If I get a chance tonight I'll snap a quick pic of it. It didn't cost much but so far it's been the best find in regards to this project for I didn't know what I was going to do for a while there after I bought that radiator.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
AWESOME pics man, you rule!
Thanks man! I try my best to get the pics to turn out for my brother and I like to go back to them for reference as well!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

let me know if you need a hand with it at all, i am right around the corner .
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icantdrift
let me know if you need a hand with it at all, i am right around the corner .
Thanks, back when I still had my Camaro I took it out for a test run over by where I think you lived. I had no clue where I was going cause it was dark out but I was hoping to see a 240 parked in a driveway that I would know but didn't have any luck! ha ha

Quick Reply: Project 346SX - "KA24 to the power of 2"