Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple vids of my first start ups!!! mmm..open headers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple vids of my first start ups!!! mmm..open headers...

Hey all. I posted this in the multimedia forum...but wasnt getting much feedback. So I thought Ide post here incase some of you conversion guys dont frequent the other forum often. Just a couple of vids of my 87 TA conversion.

The first vid is the VERY first time I tried to crank it. Roared to life only to have VATS step in and ruin an otherwise awsome occasion. Guess the VATS wasnt programmed out all the way...

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...efirstfire.flv

Now...the next day after building my $11 radio shack VATS bypass box... Feel free to turn up the volume a tad for this one! Thanks for the help everyone! I hope to have some completed pics and some vids of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klq9fOr7KxQ

Enjoy!!

Justin
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice. i think your apart of my other thread on thirdgen.org. titled "the ls1 is in" looks great man. i just have to get fuel lines. and a new pcm and i should be starting my car soon.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No coolant??
Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlrz28
No coolant??
thats what i was thinking
what cam is that??? it sounds good
Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Justin,
Sound great. I love the sound of open headers. I got my 99 PCM today. Have to rewire the wires to my PCM and then cross my fingers and hope for the same result as you. I see you are using all aftermarket gauges. I am using the C5 speedo on my swap so I won't need help from you. However my friend is planning to use aftermarket gauges so I will be contact you soon for help on that department.
Vinh
Old 08-29-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jlrz28
No coolant??
Car was only on for like 45 sec so it's not like it gets 250*.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet I knew Ide get more of a response over here! Haha... Thanks for the compliments. The car sounds so bad right now. Puts the hugest crap eatin grin on my face...

As for the coolant thing... It actually had alittle coolant in it... The motor only ran a couple times, 2-4 seconds at a time when the vats was kicking in... I ran it once for about 20 seconds to make sure my vats box was working...

Then I poured alittle bit of 50/50 in the upper hose inlet. I dont think that did much, but I figured maybe it was better than nothing. Ran it for the vid, and shut it down. Hasnt been run since. I was almost able to touch the headers afterwards, so I doubt it got warm enough to do anything adverse.

Anyway... as for the cam. I dont have all the specs with me... but from an old email from the previous owner "228/224 113 +1 Comp XE-R cam (currently installed with another 2* advance)".

The tune is pretty good on it as it sits. It idles smooth and has awsome throttle response. It was not hard to break the tires loose the few times I drove the z28 before I stripped it. The thing revs so ungodly fast. It will rev up, and back down to idle again before the stock tach can even get up to the RPM that you revved to.

You can hear at the end how the idle doesnt really drop back down all the way... I think have to do alittle tweaking with my throttle pedal. Im not sure I have that or the cable situated the way it should be... But its progress!!

Goin to spohn today to pick up the last of my front suspension stuff, then after I run brake lines Ill be finishing up the front end. Getting close guys and gals!

Justin

Vinh: Definetly feel free to ask any questions on gauges or anything Ive done... Ill help ya out.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
Car was only on for like 45 sec so it's not like it gets 250*.
Still makes me wonder if there wasn't any water flowing around the heads if they got really hot really fast.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually didnt think I was going to run it as long as it was running... My original intention was to only run it long enough to jump out, get some vid, then shut it off. Time seemed to go pretty fast though..haha.

I know it wasnt as good as having coolant flowing through, but I did put a good bit of a gallon of 50/50 into the motor before i ran it... I highly doubt I did any damage. I have the temp gauge hooked up, and like I said it just started move when I shut it down. It didnt act any different than if I had air nit he system. Heck on my jeep before the air gets bled from back by the temp sender the temp shoots up fast until it burps. Does anyone know approximate how much coolant the motor can hold when poured into the upper hose connector??

In any case I dont want this to turn into a debate on whether or not I screwed something up. I just wanted to post a vid of my motor running... partly because I was excited that it ran...and partly because I know how much seeing someone elses car start and run gives me alittle kick in the pants to work on my own stuff.

I do have a question though... In the second vid...and in the first I guess, when the motor is cranking, does it sound sluggish and chunky toanyone??? I chalked it up to being a slightly higher compression ratio than Im used to. Im almost positive my battery is in good shape, because Ive been using a battery tender on it every so often while I was messing with the wiring. I plan on using an optima after the car is done...so I guess I will see if it makes a difference.

Just curious if anyone elses car cranks like that?

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 08-29-2006 at 12:05 PM.