Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I used:

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...id/74328/LS1GM
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

X-Pauliber, those are the ones I was thinking of using. This is a dumb question but with those plates do you have to move the location of your old mounts on the frame? Or is it a direct bolt in? Also if there are any pontiac guys watching this one did you switch to the chev mounts and location? I assume that is what I will need to do.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

You would need to swap to Chevy mounts in order to use the plates. Noone makes them so you'd need to go pull the mounts off of a Camaro subframe. I made my own. and welder them right to the frame and used the stock LS1 clamshell mounts.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Oldschoolformula. I have been wondering about this. Do you have any pictures of what you did?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.geocities.com/thelastcaboose2/Page2.htm

Scroll down to "more custom modifications"

This isnt my car, mines a real piece compared (hahahaha) and I didnt wnat to bother with bolting the frame mounts down so I just welded them in place. I dont ever for see the subframe going back to an older engine (and who cares, theres a big notch for the A/C compressor anyway, not to mention the extreme firewall cowl damage from installing the 4th gen HVAC) so the welding didnt bother me. Just set the engine and tranny where you want it, make sure the driveline angles are correct (we'll see how good I am when I hit the freeway) and mock it up with soem cardboard cutouts. All said, it probabaly would have been easier just going with the adpater mounts, but it was raining her ein the bay area when I made the mounts and I didnt feel like lying in the mud in a junkyard pulling them. Ive also heard of clearance problems when using the mounts and the low mount compressor.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks. That is what I thought I would end up doing. I have a spare subframe to practice on and line everything up so that should help.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Yes the pedestals need to be unbolted and moved on the subframe. I had clearance issues with the oil pan and the back of the engine cradle. I unbolted the pedestals, bolted them to the engine, then set the engine and tranny into place where I wanted them. Made sure that the engine was square in the engine bay, checked the tailshaft angle and then tackwelded them in place. Pulled the engine out and welded them fast. Same thinking as above, that I don't ever see anything other than an LS motor in my car so I didn't bother drilling and rebolting them down.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Make sure to keep all your emmisions equipment from the wrecked car. It should pass without issues.

Andrew
there is no emissions on a 1972 vehicle you can do whatever you want. i believe the cut off date is 75
Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Well, there IS emissions on a 75 and older vehicle, technically. Just because you don't have to get smogged every two years does not mean you can do whatever you want. If you end up with a butthead cop who does a smog check on you on the side of the road and sends you to the ref, your screwed with the LS1.

That said, my LS1 is emissions free. LOL
Old 09-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
Well, there IS emissions on a 75 and older vehicle, technically. Just because you don't have to get smogged every two years does not mean you can do whatever you want. If you end up with a butthead cop who does a smog check on you on the side of the road and sends you to the ref, your screwed with the LS1.

That said, my LS1 is emissions free. LOL
i thought the law said that the pre 75 are no longer emissions controlled. ofcours you can't drive down the road spewing crap out your tail pipe or you will definitely get a ticket. however if they could get you for putting in an ls1 with no emissions they could get any hotrodder out there who put a 350 in a roadster and didn't have the correct emissions on it. i don't think there is **** a cop could say if you throw an ls1 in a 1972 firebird and got pulled over with no emissions in california. i used to get pulled over all the time in my 73 and after my car no longer had to be smogged they never looked under the hood again.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I wish it was that way. Its not. The law says you must retain all emissions, your just exempt from biannual inspections. Thats all it says. They could change the law tomorrow and require everyone to smog back to 1966, as they've been trying the past few years. They've repealed emissions laws before, and they will do it again if they believe it will help them meet clean air goals. What a perfect way to get all the old vehicles of fthe road (like they want) give them time to mod all the old cars, pop the laws back in place, noone can smog, cars get crushed. Vehicles prior to 1966 didn't have any emissons equipment whatsoever (basically) and are therefore completely exempt. You still have to obey federal law which states you must retain all emissions equipment, as well.

If your pulle dover by a CHP officer, and he decided he wants to give you a roadside inspection, he can do that. Odds are he won't bother, but he can.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
I wish it was that way. Its not. The law says you must retain all emissions, your just exempt from biannual inspections. Thats all it says. They could change the law tomorrow and require everyone to smog back to 1966, as they've been trying the past few years. They've repealed emissions laws before, and they will do it again if they believe it will help them meet clean air goals. What a perfect way to get all the old vehicles of fthe road (like they want) give them time to mod all the old cars, pop the laws back in place, noone can smog, cars get crushed. Vehicles prior to 1966 didn't have any emissons equipment whatsoever (basically) and are therefore completely exempt. You still have to obey federal law which states you must retain all emissions equipment, as well.

If your pulle dover by a CHP officer, and he decided he wants to give you a roadside inspection, he can do that. Odds are he won't bother, but he can.
chp or any LEO can not just stop you for the purpose of inspecting your engine. the LEO has to see/hear a mechanical deffect or a puplic safty harzard with the vehicle. if a LEO ask you to pop your hood, ask him what his reasoning is. if he says because i know you have aftermarket parts, tell him no! has to be a defect with car. but in all reality all he has to say is your exhaust is to loud and his in.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Or tinted windows or no front plate, or too low, or "racing gauges" or whatever other BS reason he needs.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

those are alll good stops, but not good enough to justify a vehicle inspection.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

when i first bought my car it was a rolling POS and i got pulled over and a CHP officer had me pop my hood. I punked his *** and he got on his bike and left with no comment! I was pissed.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SICMARO
those are alll good stops, but not good enough to justify a vehicle inspection.

Judging by your avatar, I don't know if your an officer or not, but those reasons listed are in the San Diego training videos, and have been used in the Sacramento area, as well, as probable cause for illegal engine modifications.

Quick Reply: 1972 Camaro LS1 conversion Questions