Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a list... LS1 mustang swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an AJE 4.6L K-member with modified 4.6L mounts (aluminum block) and everything clears by a mile. As said, use search.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in same I8URLS1 from TRS. What do you post as over there? Anyways I am going to address AJE about this problem in the process of ordering everything... What would I need to tell him to do to correct this issue?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I found out today D&D makes a plate that bolts onto the front of the T56 so I can just run the stock clutch setup. Takes a little modifying of the bellhousing is all but will alleviate a lot of problems. What r u guys doing for a crossmember for the T56's?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh I wish I'd known about D&D's adapter before we fabricated my hydraulic setup Oh well.

I used the 94-95 T5 cross member and frame mounts, we just cut them to fit with my subframes and then welded them in. If you don't have subs then you can just fit them right over the rails. Then I drilled holes for the stock GM tranny mount to bolt in. We also had to make a 1/2" spacer to go between the crossmember and the tranny mount, to maintain the correct angle.

I don't post there but I saw the "for sale" section, with all the Ford stuff for sale with the same name
Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by I8URLS1
Also I found out today D&D makes a plate that bolts onto the front of the T56 so I can just run the stock clutch setup. Takes a little modifying of the bellhousing is all but will alleviate a lot of problems. What r u guys doing for a crossmember for the T56's?
I called D&D when I was researching a clutch setup and they didn't have anything like this and no mention of any type of cable style setup for the LS1 T56.

Do you have any more information about it?

As for a crossmember, my stock '96 Cobra crossmember bolted right to the T56 after rounding out one of the stock mounting holes.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
Heh I wish I'd known about D&D's adapter before we fabricated my hydraulic setup Oh well.
Do you have any pics or info about what you fabricated for your clutch setup?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Do you have any pics or info about what you fabricated for your clutch setup?

I'll have to take some pics but I'll attempt a description. Basically I swapped in a T-Bird turbocoupe clutch/brake pedal setup, then copied the factory setup with a shorter master cylinder from Wilwood. We fabbed a bracket to hold it in place so that the pedal lever can actuate the master. Hooked a -4 line directly to the master with a MacLeod custom line from Summit that has the quick-disconnect. Viola! I had to buy the master and the line, and then a few bucks worth of scrap steel, paint and a few grinder discs. Probably alot cheaper than D&D's adapter, at least I hope
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I called D&D when I was researching a clutch setup and they didn't have anything like this and no mention of any type of cable style setup for the LS1 T56.

Do you have any more information about it?

As for a crossmember, my stock '96 Cobra crossmember bolted right to the T56 after rounding out one of the stock mounting holes.

Apparently it is designed for the cobra T56 from what I was told but with some modification to the bellhousing will work with the f-boat T56. I will try and get some more info. I know it's about 3-4 hundred but well worth it in my opinion. Maybe he had the companies wrong but I doubt it. I am just going to have my buddy call and order it from his shop probably within the next two weeks.

I8URLS1 posting from this SN

Last edited by ws.6kid; 10-05-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I just called D&D and the only type of bolt on adapter they sell is for older cars so you can bolt a T56 onto a 4 speed style bellhousing to be able to use the stock clutch linkage. Said I'd definately have to convert the Mustang to a hydraulic clutch setup.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

If that's the case, you could use the McLeod bellhousing.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I just called D&D and the only type of bolt on adapter they sell is for older cars so you can bolt a T56 onto a 4 speed style bellhousing to be able to use the stock clutch linkage. Said I'd definately have to convert the Mustang to a hydraulic clutch setup.
No worries, it can be done relatively easy. The first thing you need to find out is if the t-bird turbocoupe pedals will bolt into your '96. They are exactly like the fox body pedals in terms of fitment. After that you need a compact master cylinder like Wilwood or Tilton (I chose Wilwood because it has a true -4 outlet for the pressure side) and then it's a matter of fabbing a bracket. I can't weld to save my life, but I found a UT engineering student with some mad fabrication skills to build it for me on the uber-cheap. When I get a chance I'll post the pics. It was surprisingly easier than it sounds.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll call my buddy tomorrow and ask him about it. Maybe he was confused. If so do I need the stock slave from the LS1 tranny? Cause I told the guy not to send it to me with the 6 speed.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I think we are all curious as to how Mr. Hydes header install went. Did the macs fit no problem? I'm hoping someone finds a worry free header by the time I reach that stage. Otherwise I'm gonna have to cough up the cash for some custom 1 7/8''s longtubes.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I think we are all curious as to how Mr. Hydes header install went. Did the macs fit no problem? I'm hoping someone finds a worry free header by the time I reach that stage. Otherwise I'm gonna have to cough up the cash for some custom 1 7/8''s longtubes.
the mac mids for a ls1 didn't fit mine i tried a set.the 351 heards are the best bet

Quick Reply: Need a list... LS1 mustang swap