Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into 81 camaro with a th350 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ4 into 81 camaro with a th350 problems.

I just thought I'd share some issues that I came across trying to bolt an LQ4 into my 81z with a th350.

I'm using S&P mounts with the factory clamshells. I tried to leave the frame mounts in the factory position and this left the engine about 1 3/4" forward of the bellhousing. So I had to remove the frame mounts( major pain in the butt) , bolt them to the engine, set the engine in, and drill new holes.

I'm also trying to use a 98 flexplate with the 4L80E crank spacer with my B&M holeshot converter. Turns out with the engine bolted to the trans, the converter snout isn't able to slide all the way into the crank spacer. The converter has a shoulder on the snout and that's bottoming out on the spacer.This left a 3/16" or so gap between the flexplate and the tab on the converter where the bolts go. Looks like I'll have to machine the spacer down at least 3/16" to allow the converter to come forward and touch the flexplate.

This is a little more work initially than I wanted to do. I'm really lookin for a 6 speed swap. I hate the idea of moving the remove the friggin motor mounts forward again when i do. S&P told me it should all bolt in...my *** LOL.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel your pain!!!

i had the same issue with my transdapt mounts. im also using the clam shell on my 72 camaro. i had to also unbolt the frame mount and move them back an 1" to allow me to bolt the th350 to the stock cross member. also had to drill holes in the frame. i know with my th350 and my convertor i put a small washer between my flexplate and convertor. bolted up good after that!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Yeah I figured the sapacer had enough meat to be turned down that way I don't need a washer. I believe TJ had to turn down his spacer .157" which is 5/32". I'll try 3/16 to be safe.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zedzag
Yeah I figured the sapacer had enough meat to be turned down that way I don't need a washer. I believe TJ had to turn down his spacer .157" which is 5/32". I'll try 3/16 to be safe.
yes, i did have to turn mine down to to the front cover on my converter. ive only heard of a handful having to turn it down, mine being the most.
.090 cleared another setup i talked to the guy about.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

I tired my turned down piece in the converter and there's still plenty of engagement into the spacer. Once I clean up the engine bay and install the engine for good, all should be perfect.

I can't wait to see how it runs.

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 81 camaro with a th350 problems.