Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some swap updates! 4th gen A/C, air intake, brake setup, exhaust issues...Big pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I GOT TO DRIVE HER TONIGHT!!!!!

Holy crap she feels strong. I didnt do much...just a couple laps around the parking lot behind the firehouse near me. The alignment is way off. Im going to just try to get to a shop soon. My tires shouldnt get too messed up from like a 6 mile drive at slow (35mph) speeds right???

Good news is... holy cow it feels like it wants to haul... I only got up enough speed for a lazy second gear...but I stabbed it and sqawked the tires pretty good. I busted my butt tonight to get it done enough to drive. Interior is 100% complete. The only couple of things I didnt hook up were the low coolant light and the low oil light. They werent important enough to mess with right now.

I need to learn how to drive the thing... I mean... besides this being my first stick car, I need to learn how to drive with the motor set up and the spec clutch. I dont know how much to feather it, or how high to bring the revs before letting the clutch out for smooth starts. I was pretty jerky with it. Im wondering if its just how the clutch is from sitting so long?? more than a few months. Maybe just needs to "warm up" to driving again??

I also want to get it tuned soon. I dont know if I want to wait until next year to do it. Im hoping rapidmotorsports can get her smelling a bit better... The fumes it produces are sickening at this point. I couldnt imagine with my tops off and all... I started a thread about the smell, and it seems like it might just be the way the car is with the cam and all. I guess we'll see.

Oh man Im so excited I dont even know what to type about haha. Ill take some pics maybe this weekend after I give her a bath and get her looking better. Maybe Ill start one more thread on her with a bunch of pics...if no one objects

Justin
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job on getting her done and nice work on that exhaust. That car must be fun as hell to drive!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Justin:

Did you install a new clutch? If yes it needs breaking in.. (you probably know this already) easy driving for the first 500 miles or so I think.

on another note- you will likely have a traction "problem" with this car. You've done more to your engine than I have so far, and with my last set of tires (Goodyear eagles) it would break loose in both first and second, and not even flooring it. I also have the subframe connectors, tubular control arms and an edelbrock torque arm. (non adjustable pinion angle) I was given a set of Toyo T1R tires. these definitely helped with my traction "problem" but I think I'll be stuck running drag radials afterwards...

Congrats on the drive and keep the pics coming!

-BV
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on driving her!!! Great feeling huh. You will just have to wait for the clutch to break in till you get some feel. A few hundred miles of tough but not abusive driving will take care of the clutch. As for traction Good luck with that, I have a good bit less than you power wise and traction is a joke for me. As for the tires, no you wont hurt them driving a few miles. even if you start to get a little bit of odd wear just rotate them to the rear before there half gone and it'll flatten them right out.

Congrats again

Andy
Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

It looks really nice! Good quality work! Wish I had those skills.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to learn how to drive the thing... I mean... besides this being my first stick car, I need to learn how to drive with the motor set up and the spec clutch. I dont know how much to feather it, or how high to bring the revs before letting the clutch out for smooth starts. I was pretty jerky with it. Im wondering if its just how the clutch is from sitting so long?? more than a few months. Maybe just needs to "warm up" to driving again??
It could need a little break-in, but the car has an aluminium flywheel too. I found that it needed more rpm than a steel flywheel & stock clutch for a smooth launch. Also with your tuning off, you may have the engine fighting you. Get it tuned and it will be easier to drive.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Joel,
Thanks for chiming in! Ive gotten much better with the car. Its DEFINETLY different than driving a normal every day manual trans car. I found that I just have to stop slipping the clutch as much. If I just come right out with the clutch and dip in the gas its great. Also I noticed that after awhile of driving like that, the trans still shifts smooth. Before I think I was slipping it too much and getting things too hot. Who knows. But I just needed to get used to her Now its butter.

I really do want to get a tune. However I think Im going to wait until next season. I figure there are only a few more weeks of good weather anyway. Plus I cant afford it right now...its kinda pricey. But even "untuned"...the car is a beast. You did good with the set up!! Seems to really haul, but still pulls decent daily driver duty. Thanks again for the deal and all. Probably wouldnt have done it if it didnt happen when it did.

Ill keep ya updated!!

Justin

Quick Reply: Some swap updates! 4th gen A/C, air intake, brake setup, exhaust issues...Big pics