Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter/Pan flow direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter/Pan flow direction

If you remove the oil filter mount two oil passeges are there. One forward and one back (on the pan).

I've got AN fittings on these, but I'm not sure of the orientation as far as flow goes.

This is the ASA pan with AN fittings. Anyone know which is In and which is Out?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the ASA pan, but I've got a similar setup with -8 AN fittings on my hand built pan.

The front fitting is oil coming from the oil pump going to the filter / cooler / whatever.

The rear fitting is oil returning from the filter / cooler / whatever going to the rest of the engine.

If you look at the motor, it makes sense. Oil pump is at the front, pushing oil back to the flywheel end, stopping to go to the filter, and then running into the motor (up towards the oil pressure sensor) and going forward (to hit mains and camshaft bearings). The only one that seems wacky is the GTO pan where the oil travels forward from the stock location to the oil filter and then back again. Guess you have to do funny things when you need front sump.

Hope that helps, and that the ASA pan doesn't flip them around internally or have them side by side.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Oil filter/Pan flow direction