Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple "finished" pics, Lots of pics... vids soon to come!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Pro-5.0 note. I have one and picked up a Lou's Short Stick. You might get it short enough for your liking without it. I thought it was going to be too short when I took it out of the package, but it is perfect. Have not driven it yet, but it fells good.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome ride! Can't wait to see vids

I want to do a '82 TA/LS1 swap someday --black of course
krfan1

Last edited by krfan1; 10-10-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Ick, get a Pro-5.0 in that thing man. The tallness of that Hurst (but I think you said it was a B&M) just makes me wince. Pro-5.0s are so much better IMO.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...Pro 5.0 will be going in after my b-day. I hate to tear back into the console because I got it just about perfect...but oh well. What are you gonna do... I also need to get some running issues sorted out...so the shifter might get put on hold for a bit. We shall see!! I dont like the height, position, or the shifting of that B&M... It might just be worn out...because it sure doesnt provide a confident 2-3 shift. or a 6-3 shift. or a 5-4 shift... etc. It just doesnt center itself. If you push it over to the left and let it go...it stays there. We'll see. I like how the Pro 5.0 puts the shifter to the left and back a bit... The B&M seems like it puts it almost straight up. I have to reach to grab 1,3,5...

Justin
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Justin......question for you. Does the 4thgen power steering pump lines work with the steering box in our cars or do you have to use adapters for the lines?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Justin......question for you. Does the 4thgen power steering pump lines work with the steering box in our cars or do you have to use adapters for the lines?
I think you use the pressure line from the 4th gen,could be mistaken tho.Any others got the info?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha...yeah I got the info! The 4th gen pressure and return lines will work with the 3rd gen steering box perfectly. Just get alittle creative with how you position things.

A word of warning... The pressure line will be really close to the PS pulley. You will have to bend the metal part of the line that goes into the box. You will see how it goes. Just know that the lines will bolt in...the rest is gravy!

Goin on almost a week with no major issues!!!

LS1-IROC: You wont regret it. If you need any more help or have any questions...feel free to post up or PM me. Ill give ya a hand.

Justin
Old 10-13-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What wiring harness did you use?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Haha...yeah I got the info! The 4th gen pressure and return lines will work with the 3rd gen steering box perfectly. Just get alittle creative with how you position things.

A word of warning... The pressure line will be really close to the PS pulley. You will have to bend the metal part of the line that goes into the box. You will see how it goes. Just know that the lines will bolt in...the rest is gravy!

Goin on almost a week with no major issues!!!

LS1-IROC: You wont regret it. If you need any more help or have any questions...feel free to post up or PM me. Ill give ya a hand.

Justin

Thanks man, appreciate the info.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome! Good job!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice job, I love third gens... I love how you reused all the parts from the donor car. Out of curiosity, how long did the entire swap take you?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

1970judge: I used the stock harness from the 99 z28. I also used the fuse boxes from the car. I traced some wires...deleted ones that I didnt need, extended a few to allow me to put the PCM inside and viola. All i had to do is put switched 12v to the fuse block, hook up the battery to the fuse blocks, and then everything plugged in just like it did in the 99. I dont have very many "splices"...I bought a weatherpack assortment so that everything was secure and I can unplug it.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!!

lxcoupe: It took me from about May until around Oct 1st. Its almost completely finished. i have a few projects to do that dont pertain to the actual swap. Dont forget...I rebuilt all of the suspension, fuel system, brakes, etc etc. Given that I had to ONLY swap in the motor and trans...It possible to do it in a week of evenings... Not long at all.

Justin
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Restricted User

Looks very cool, did you use the 4th gen brakes also ?
Good work !
Dale
Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup...4th gen front and rear brakes. Got the hubs from bigbrakeupgrade.com . Got some parts from autozone to freshen the calipers up a bit. Got the 1.7" adapters from skulte...top notch quality by the way. They are perfect. Im using the 4th gen brake master cylinder and booster.

SJM ABS delete kit for a 98-02 car with line lock. Front brakes have no proportioning valve, rear brakes go through a wilwood adjustable.

Let me say...the car feels most different due to the engine and trans...but also due to the brakes. These things just plain stop. Without even pressing on the pedal hard, I can pull to a stop so hard and fast that my passenger goes whhooooaaaa...and anything laying in the back seats ends up on the floor. It feels so balanced and so stable too. No nose dive...nothing. I think i have the brakes set up closer to 50/50 front to rear bias. Figure Ill tune them in as I go. I mean...the rear brakes that I have on there now, are almost the same size as the old stock front brakes!!! haha.

Justin
Old 10-17-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok... bugs as of today...

I have no activity from the passenger side O2... Stays at 450 mv. So...bad sensor. Or wiring. Whichever Ill sort it out tomorrow. However...Im thinking that could be cutting my power back a bit. Hoping to see a jump in that...(crossing fingers)

Still have a wierd noise in the back...doesnt seem to be speed related...but could be. Im thinking its the over the axle pipe where its hitting the panhard bar brace. I need to get the exhaust straighted out. Its either that or an issue with the axle...in which case ill be replacing both axle shafts and the bearings this winter. Hoping thats not it...but Im prepared if it is.

Other than that all is peachy!

Im using a heated garage tomorrow...so things to be finished are...

Installing 4th gen washer bottle so I can have washers again.
hooking up the vac. lines for the heater, orb of power, and vac gauge.
Figuring out where I want the final mounting of my Aeroforce gauge and wiring it.
Changing the O2.
Checking all the under car hardware.

Ill toss up a couple more pics of the finished washer bottle install, and report back on the O2/power issue.

Justin
Old 10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome ride!

Quick Reply: A couple "finished" pics, Lots of pics... vids soon to come!